Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Exclamation Why Men Hate Going to Church

Why Men Hate Going to Church

By David Murrow
    Reviewed by Jamie Dunlop

Why do men hate going to church? Even for this reviewer—who attends a church with no discernable gender gap (48 percent male)—the topic is pressing given the female-preponderant membership of many churches. Why Men Hate Going to Church, by David Murrow, explores the elements of American church life that discourage attendance and engagement of men.

His conclusion? Churches have shifted toward a style that is comfortable for the stereotypical woman—at the expense of the stereotypical man. And by men, Murrow is referring to masculine men: "Tough, earth-working guys . . . high achievers, alpha males, risk takers, and visionaries" as set against "the quiet, introspective gentlemen who populate the church today" (6).

Arguing from data and anecdote, Murrow describes the elements of today’s church that are unattractive to unchurched men, and then prescribes a solution.

AN ENLIGHTENING DIAGNOSIS
    Murrow’s description of church elements that are foreign and uncomfortable to men is enlightening and useful. And some of the changes he calls for turn out to be quite biblical—including changes largely derided by more theologically "progressive" denominations such as the Presbyterian Church (USA) in which Murrow serves as an elder.

Murrow points to four categories of church elements that clash with the temperament of most unchurched men.

1. Church makes men feel uncomfortable because it emphasizes feminine values

Murrow states that many elements of modern churches—from music to vocabulary to the dress code—emphasize values that are more easily associated with femininity than masculinity. For example, sentimental songs that celebrate the intimacy of relationship with Jesus Christ bring a more feminine style of worship. As Murrow writes, "Think of the mental gymnastics that must take place inside a man’s subconscious mind as he sings lyrics like these. He’s trying to express his love to Jesus, a man who lives today, using words no man would dare say to another, set to music that sounds like the love songs his wife listens to in the car" (139).

A second example of overemphasis on feminine values in the church is a desire for comfort at the expense of risk. Murrow writes in chapter 4, "Velvet Coffin Christianity is the real cancer in the church today. Its key characteristic is comfort. Everyone is so nice to each other. And we choose a church based on how comfortable it makes us feel . . . Men gag on this kind of religion" (27).

Murrow’s reaction against this overemphasis is one of the high points of the book: "Today’s church is all about safety. What’s our top prayer request? ‘God, keep us safe. Keep our kids safe. Watch over us and protect us.’ God’s job is to keep our well-ordered lives flowing smoothly" (162). Churches that focus on their own comfort will cease to attract men, Murrow warns, and churches without men are prone to turn inward, away from their call to change the world.

2. Church forces men to do things that they find uncomfortable

From asking men to sing in public, to sermons that are longer than the space between television commercials, Murrow showcases elements of church life that are uncomfortable for most unchurched men.

3. Men assume that church will require them to give up masculine traits

Murrow lists a number of men’s misconceptions about what they must give up to become part of a church. They assume church will make them "dorky" and "nerdy"—the equivalent of the evangelical Christian Ned Flanders from the Simpsons cartoon.

4. Church does not present a compelling model of leadership

One assumption that underlies much of Murrow’s thinking on leadership is that "If men are to return to Christ, they need strong, godly laymen to help them in their walk . . . For too long we have asked men to follow our teaching, our methods, and our theology. Men do not follow these things. I’ll say it again: men follow men." It is difficult to argue with the premise that visionary leaders are the source of much change in this world. As a result, Murrow castigates the church for its inability to inspire men to greatness.

http://www.alliancenet.org/CC/articl...279238,00.html

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I think this is a good perspective, and I think that the "meekness" of Jesus is overemphasized in many churches. Jesus willingly submitted his will and his rights; he treated hurting people with gentleness and compassion. But there are lots of stories in the Bible that show Jesus willing to FIGHT (at least verbally) for the Father, stories that show Jesus' POWER. The Christian faith is dynamic and HARD, not for the weak-willed. Men would be more attracted to it if they understood these aspects.
    Blessed be Your name, when the sun's shining down on me, when the world's "all as it should be," blessed be Your name!
    Blessed be Your name on the road marked with suffering, though there's pain in the offering, blessed be Your name!
    Every blessing You pour out I'll turn back to praise. When the darkness closes in, Lord, still I will say...
    Blessed be the name of the Lord!
    Blessed be Your name!

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Nienna View Post
    I think this is a good perspective, and I think that the "meekness" of Jesus is overemphasized in many churches. Jesus willingly submitted his will and his rights; he treated hurting people with gentleness and compassion. But there are lots of stories in the Bible that show Jesus willing to FIGHT (at least verbally) for the Father, stories that show Jesus' POWER. The Christian faith is dynamic and HARD, not for the weak-willed. Men would be more attracted to it if they understood these aspects.
    Although Jesus was a man, he was also a GOD! He knew what he was here for. It was easy for him to appear or portray himself as "meak". He had an ace in the hole.

I agree with the article. Even though I think about going to church more, I'm always uneasy sitting through it. And actually, the only reason I think of going to church is that Jesus said, "where two or more are gathered in my name, there is power."

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Pale Rider View Post
    Although Jesus was a man, he was also a GOD! He knew what he was here for. It was easy for him to appear or portray himself as "meak". He had an ace in the hole.

I agree with the article. Even though I think about going to church more, I'm always uneasy sitting through it. And actually, the only reason I think of going to church is that Jesus said, "where two or more are gathered in my name, there is power."
    I don't think church should be so much about going and listening to a sermon. I think the early church was mostly a gathering of people, sharing stories about their lives with each other, offering suggestions to each other, pitching in and helping and SERVING wherever they were needed. And teaching and communion and singing were thrown in. I think the early church experience was more about LIVING LIFE than filling a pew once a week. People were ACCOUNTABLE to each other. If you were a believer, but refused to live the life (ie, stop sinning), you were to be expelled from membership and not allowed to meet. There was the expectation that you had to LIVE this stuff.
    Blessed be Your name, when the sun's shining down on me, when the world's "all as it should be," blessed be Your name!
    Blessed be Your name on the road marked with suffering, though there's pain in the offering, blessed be Your name!
    Every blessing You pour out I'll turn back to praise. When the darkness closes in, Lord, still I will say...
    Blessed be Your name!

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I think those points highly depend on what Church you are going to.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I agree.

I always hated church because A)I didn't believe most of the stuff and B)It was very boring.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by avatar4321 View Post
    They're pretty close to right on for any church I've ever been too...

I once went to a tent revival down in Tampa, Florida. Not THAT was fun.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Obama08 View Post
    I agree.

I always hated church because A)I didn't believe most of the stuff and B)It was very boring.
    Too bad. Maybe you wouldn't be a liberal had you believed.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I hated it because everytime I went I would get a splitting headache. Also it happens on Sunday, one of the days kids have off from school. They don't want to waste their time listening to some guy droning on and on about boring crap. I wanted to be out riding my bike or playing sports. Therefore I always had a bad impression of church. It's a place my parents took me to to waste my time. Never changed my opinion.
    Pork, good for you, bad for Muslims and Jews.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Pale Rider View Post
    It's funny/sacriligeous, but imagine Jesus walking through the 'hood. A tough bumps him. "Yo, faggot, what's up with the robe?" And then, after enough, Jesus decides to employ a miracle of some kind.

I always HATED church as a kid. Vomit. I was dragged to Catholic church in my itchy wool pants. It was so gay, sitting there singing the gayest songs imaginable. I'm sure there are ways to make it better, but just look at who runs most American churches these days... lesbians, gays, meek males. I once read that the lowest levels of testosterone in any man were found in preachers.
    America: White people footing the bill for a party they're not allowed to attend.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Hugh Lincoln View Post
    It's funny/sacriligeous, but imagine Jesus walking through the 'hood. A tough bumps him. "Yo, faggot, what's up with the robe?" And then, after enough, Jesus decides to employ a miracle of some kind.
    Word.

Quote Originally Posted by Hugh Lincoln View Post
    I always HATED church as a kid. Vomit. I was dragged to Catholic church in my itchy wool pants. It was so gay, sitting there singing the gayest songs imaginable. I'm sure there are ways to make it better, but just look at who runs most American churches these days... lesbians, gays, meek males. I once read that the lowest levels of testosterone in any man were found in preachers.

I had to go to "Sunday School" as a youngster. I HATED it! But I understand why my parents made me do it. I did learn about my religon, and I'm a stronger Christian now because of it. Still... I HATED it...

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I present Debatepolicy with example #1 on how conservatives misrepresent Christianity to form their politics:
    Too bad. Maybe you wouldn't be a liberal had you believed.
    If Jesus were alive today, Jesus would not agree in cutting social programs to help the poor, nor would he agree with invading a country that never harmed us in any way, shape, or form. Calling gay people "queers!" and "fags!" is not what Jesus stood for. Degrading minorities, and making racist statements because of an ethno-centric redneck ignorance would not be condoned Jesus.

The only issues you guys have a fucking leg to stand on with Jesus is abortion, not being having sex with the same sex, and not having sex in general unless your married.

Everything else is your own evil spin on Christianity.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I present Debatepolicy with example #1 on how conservatives misrepresent Christianity to form their politics:

If Jesus were alive today, Jesus would not agree in cutting social programs to help the poor, nor would he agree with invading a country that never harmed us in any way, shape, or form. Calling gay people "queers!" and "fags!" is not what Jesus stood for. Degrading minorities, and making racist statements because of an ethno-centric redneck ignorance would not be condoned Jesus.

The only issues you guys have a fucking leg to stand on with Jesus is abortion, not being having sex with the same sex, and not having sex in general unless your married.

Now watch the hypocrisy fly! These guys definitely create god in their own (wishful) self-image.
    Pork, good for you, bad for Muslims and Jews.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

If Jesus was walking the earth today, he wouldn't give a HOOT about politics. He would be too busy forming PERSONAL RELATIONSHIPS with people, healing them from illness and sin, teaching them how to OBEY the will of GOD instead of their own desires. If he met a homosexual, he would most likely have called on him to turn from his sin, as he did the woman caught in adultery. But, that would be between HIM and the homosexual. Jesus has NO NEED for laws, politics, and "stances on issues."

But, that's actually inaccurate, because if Jesus was here today, it would be JUDGMENT time.
    Last edited by Nienna; 05-05-2007 at 05:41 PM.
    Blessed be Your name!

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

it would be JUDGMENT time.
    Ring the alarm! Jesus is coming!