Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    514 Post(s)

Default Bye Bye, Molar!

While dealing with my quitting smoking (which I beat!), and now working out and eating properly - I've also been nursing a bad tooth hoping to avoid the dentist.

Well, you can't do that forever. I went in this morning as I couldn't take the pain anymore. It was actually an oral surgeon, only place I could find open today. And I guess that was good as it needed to be pulled. Paid the extra to have them knock me out and woke up without my bottom right molar.

The meds they gave me are wearing off and I'm in intense pain right now. He prescribed me Vicodins which I am awaiting to kick in right now! Tooth is bleeding a lot, can't eat and can barely drink.

But it makes my diet easier for now!

And if/when the pain goes away, I can enjoy whatever Vicodins are left over as a treat.

The one thing I don't miss after leaving the dentist and being told you can't smoke for 24hrs, now I don't need to worry about that!
    “You know the world is going crazy when the best rapper is a white guy, the best golfer is a black guy, the tallest guy in the NBA is Chinese, the Swiss hold the America's Cup, France is accusing the U.S. of arrogance, Germany doesn't want to go to war, and the three most powerful men in America are named "Bush", "Dick", and "Colin." Need I say more?” - Chris Rock

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jimnyc View Post
    While dealing with my quitting smoking (which I beat!), and now working out and eating properly - I've also been nursing a bad tooth hoping to avoid the dentist.

Well, you can't do that forever. I went in this morning as I couldn't take the pain anymore. It was actually an oral surgeon, only place I could find open today. And I guess that was good as it needed to be pulled. Paid the extra to have them knock me out and woke up without my bottom right molar.

The meds they gave me are wearing off and I'm in intense pain right now. He prescribed me Vicodins which I am awaiting to kick in right now! Tooth is bleeding a lot, can't eat and can barely drink.

And if/when the pain goes away, I can enjoy whatever Vicodins are left over as a treat.

The one thing I don't miss after leaving the dentist and being told you can't smoke for 24hrs, now I don't need to worry about that!
    Good show on the molar and the quitting smoking, jim. Both of them will be blessings for you for the rest of your life. And enjoy those vicodins while you can, tehehehehhe. My doc gave me 7.5 mg percacets and believe me I was still taking them long after the pain went away. They were purely recreational at that point!!!!!!

Check your inbox.

Psychoblues

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Jim you have to get it done. The tooth will only get worse

I love my dentist. When I first walked into his office he had a big sign that read

"We Cater To Cowards"

How do you tell a communist? Well, it's someone who reads Marx and Lenin. And how do you tell an anti-Communist? It's someone who understands Marx and Lenin.

Ronald Reagan

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    514 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Psychoblues View Post
    Good show on the molar and the quitting smoking, jim. Both of them will be blessings for you for the rest of your life. And enjoy those vicodins while you can, tehehehehhe. My doc gave me 7.5 mg percacets and believe me I was still taking them long after the pain went away. They were purely recreational at that point!!!!!!

Check your inbox.

Psychoblues
    Thanks, PB. I was given the "hydrocodone 7.5 with 75omg acetominophen" - which isn't as good as the percs but should help with the pain at least. Also, already replied to you...

Quote Originally Posted by red states rule View Post
    Jim you have to get it done. The tooth will only get worse

I love my dentist. When I first walked into his office he had a big sign that read

"We Cater To Cowards"
    It was actually YOU and our conversation this morn that gave me enough courage to make the call. It hurts like a bitch right now but hopefully that won't last long.

And your office would be perfect for me, as I am a HUGE coward. I NEVER go to see them until it's too late, then repeat process until I am toothless!!
    “You know the world is going crazy when the best rapper is a white guy, the best golfer is a black guy, the tallest guy in the NBA is Chinese, the Swiss hold the America's Cup, France is accusing the U.S. of arrogance, Germany doesn't want to go to war, and the three most powerful men in America are named "Bush", "Dick", and "Colin." Need I say more?” - Chris Rock

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Thanks, PB. I was given the "hydrocodone 7.5 with 75omg acetominophen" - which isn't as good as the percs but should help with the pain at least. Also, already replied to you...

It was actually YOU and our conversation this morn that gave me enough courage to make the call. It hurts like a bitch right now but hopefully that won't last long.

And your office would be perfect for me, as I am a HUGE coward. I NEVER go to see them until it's too late, then repeat process until I am toothless!!
    Jim get yourself some Orajel - it will help numb the pain

Yes my dentist is ggod. he talks to you, has a TV in the treatment room, and even offers music to relax you

How do you tell a communist? Well, it's someone who reads Marx and Lenin. And how do you tell an anti-Communist? It's someone who understands Marx and Lenin.

Ronald Reagan

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    201 Post(s)

Yep, nothing worse than a freshly pulled tooth... hurts like hell and other than the painkillers not much to do for it.

One thing I do when I need that painkiller to kick in fast is bite it into about 3 or 4 pieces. Dissolves faster and hits harder that way.

A judicious shot of whiskey to amplify is a good call, too. Just gotta be careful not to get the booze into your socket.
    Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum Europae vincendarum

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by NightTrain View Post
    Yep, nothing worse than a freshly pulled tooth... hurts like hell and other than the painkillers not much to do for it.

One thing I do when I need that painkiller to kick in fast is bite it into about 3 or 4 pieces. Dissolves faster and hits harder that way.

A judicious shot of whiskey to amplify is a good call, too. Just gotta be careful not to get the booze into your socket.
    I never had any pain after having a tooth pulled. Never really needed any pain killers either

Ronald Reagan

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Jim, if you have allowed the pain to pick back up you may have to double dose to get it back under control. The reason they turn you loose while your mouth is still dead and with medication or a prescription is so that you will take the painkillers before the numbness wears off.

Pain is very hard to stop but is very easy to control once stopped. Last year I broke 3 ribs and the doctor prescribed 5 mg percocets every 6 hours. Ain't I a lucky bitch on them percocets! He told me to start with 3 and then reduce to 2 for a day and then to 1 until I didn't need them any more. WTF?!?!?!?! He said I just needed to break the pain curve and it would be very easy to maintain after that. Anyway, my pain was intense, never broke and hurt me everywhere and in 12 hours I was back in the ER. They pumped my butt full of morphine and told my wife to take me home and make for certain I didn't miss my upcoming dose of percocets! I just love competent medical staff!

Psychoblues
    Last edited by Psychoblues; 01-15-2011 at 02:23 PM.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Psychoblues View Post
    Jim, if you have allowed the pain to pick back up you may have to double dose to get it back under control. The reason they turn you loose while your mouth is still dead and with medication or a prescription is so that you will take the painkillers before the numbness wears off.

Pain is very hard to stop but is very easy to control once stopped. Last year I broke 3 ribs and the doctor prescribed 2, 5 mg percocets every 6 hours. Ain't I a lucky bitch on them percocets! He told me to start with 3 and then reduce to 2 for a day and then to 1 until I didn't need them any more. WTF?!?!?!?! He said I just needed to break the pain curve and it would be very easy to maintain after that. Anyway, my pain was intense, never broke and hurt me everywhere and in 12 hours I was back in the ER. They pumped my butt full of morphine and told my wife to take me home and make for certain I didn't miss my upcoming dose of percocets! I just love competent medical staff!

Psychoblues
    Your post explains alot PB

You must have numbed up your entire head and have never laid off the meds

Thanks for clearing up laot of questions

Ronald Reagan

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    201 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by red states rule View Post
    I never had any pain after having a tooth pulled. Never really needed any pain killers either
    My bottom molars are all impacted, the the roots are unusually strong. I had a quack of a dentist here in Wasilla spend over an hour trying to get one wisdom tooth out, and finally he gave up and sent me to an oral surgeon who had to cut part of my jawbone away to get the roots out.

That baby hurt like hell and I avoided dentists as much as possible until I finally found a dentist that gives me a pill that knocks me silly and then gases me, even for cleanings. Phobia solved!
    Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum Europae vincendarum

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by NightTrain View Post
    My bottom molars are all impacted, the the roots are unusually strong. I had a quack of a dentist here in Wasilla spend over an hour trying to get one wisdom tooth out, and finally he gave up and sent me to an oral surgeon who had to cut part of my jawbone away to get the roots out.

That baby hurt like hell and I avoided dentists as much as possible until I finally found a dentist that gives me a pill that knocks me silly and then gases me, even for cleanings. Phobia solved!
    I have ben lucky then. Again, I have never had a more calm, professional, and cool dentists as I have now. I need a few more filling sdone and I guy even agreed to stay late due to my work hours.

His office is closed on Friday and the weekends so I show up around 4:30 in the afternoon. He said no problem working a little late so he could treat me

Ronald Reagan

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    514 Post(s)

Should have known... The happy pills kept me in check all day after the extraction but I had to sleep sometime, so took my last one and couldn't go to bed for about 2-3hrs because, well, they make me too happy!

So I just woke up about 20mins ago with the extraction point literally pounding!! I tossed, turned and gave up and had to take my medication. So now it's 3am and that'll be it for the night! At least I got a shitty 3-4hrs of on and off sleep. I'll make up for it once the pain and happy pills both go away!

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    514 Post(s)

2 hours later and only a little better. I'm not even sure it's the medication that dulled the pain as much as it was that I sat up instead of lying down. That happens to me when I get a migraine too, I need to more or less sleep sitting up in bed. They say it can be anywhere from 1-5 days for recovery, but generally only a day or 2. Hopefully it starts advancing soon and I didn't get a damn dry socket or infection.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

2 hours later and only a little better. I'm not even sure it's the medication that dulled the pain as much as it was that I sat up instead of lying down. That happens to me when I get a migraine too, I need to more or less sleep sitting up in bed. They say it can be anywhere from 1-5 days for recovery, but generally only a day or 2. Hopefully it starts advancing soon and I didn't get a damn dry socket or infection.
    Sorry to see you having problems Jim. I hope the meds kick in so you can get some sleep and the rest you need

Ronald Reagan

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Jim, if you are still having issues later on today let me know

I will send the nurse over

Ronald Reagan