Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Default Riots in Egypt

Abso could be very useful here. I have been reading about the riots in Egypt and Tunisia, but not a lot of information coming out and the news isn't carrying much on it. Mubarik's son and his family have supposedly fled to France and it seems there's going to be a major crack down soon.

I also was reading an article that stated the majority of Egyptians were uneducated. That seemed odd. The article also mentioned Tunisians were educated.

Whenever Abso gets back from his studies it would be interesting to hear from him about events in his country. And how accurate the news reports are.
    When I die I'm sure to go to heaven, cause I spent my time in hell.

You get more with a kind word and a two by four, than you do with just a kind word.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Gaffer View Post
    Abso could be very useful here. I have been reading about the riots in Egypt and Tunisia, but not a lot of information coming out and the news isn't carrying much on it. Mubarik's son and his family have supposedly fled to France and it seems there's going to be a major crack down soon.

I also was reading an article that stated the majority of Egyptians were uneducated. That seemed odd. The article also mentioned Tunisians were educated.

Whenever Abso gets back from his studies it would be interesting to hear from him about events in his country. And how accurate the news reports are.
    I am finally back, the last exam was today .

i will be available to answer any questions, i am waiting for yours
    People show you and tell you who they are and you need to be listening and watching, not deciding that you know better.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    204 Post(s)

Like any country Egypt is complex when it comes to its problems. In this case though, it seems the middle class is involved with the protests against the government. I'm guessing that Abso comes from the top 1/4 of the population, seeing perhaps a different Egypt than the middle and lower classes.

The population is young, though the rate of growth is not like most Muslim countries. The amount spent on education is about 3% of GDP. Literacy rate is 51%, considering literacy at a 5th grade RL, to say the country as a whole is uneducated is certainly a true statement.

There are forces in Egypt pushing for orthodox Islam, indeed Egypt was one of the countries that bin Laden spent a lot of time in prior to actually becoming the leading for of al Queda.

"The government is a child that has found their parents credit card, and spends knowing that they never have to reconcile the bill with their own money"-Shannon Churchill

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by abso View Post
    I am finally back, the last exam was today .

i will be available to answer any questions, i am waiting for yours
    So what's happening in the street there? My reading says the islamists are really pushing hard to get things stirred up. What are the possibilities of mubarik being forced out? How would that affect you? Is the rioting wide spread or contained in a small area? The media likes to zoom in and make it look worse than it really is.

You get more with a kind word and a two by four, than you do with just a kind word.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Kathianne View Post
    Like any country Egypt is complex when it comes to its problems. In this case though, it seems the middle class is involved with the protests against the government. I'm guessing that Abso comes from the top 1/4 of the population, seeing perhaps a different Egypt than the middle and lower classes.

The population is young, though the rate of growth is not like most Muslim countries. The amount spent on education is about 3% of GDP. Literacy rate is 51%, considering literacy at a 5th grade RL, to say the country as a whole is uneducated is certainly a true statement.

There are forces in Egypt pushing for orthodox Islam, indeed Egypt was one of the countries that bin Laden spent a lot of time in prior to actually becoming the leading for of al Queda.
    why did you assume that i am from the top 1/4 of the population ???
    People show you and tell you who they are and you need to be listening and watching, not deciding that you know better.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

So what's happening in the street there? My reading says the islamists are really pushing hard to get things stirred up. What are the possibilities of mubarik being forced out? How would that affect you? Is the rioting wide spread or contained in a small area? The media likes to zoom in and make it look worse than it really is.
    i will answer all of your questions in details when i get back home, my cousin just got back from his honeymoon in Thailand, and i am going to pay him a visit to congratulate him on the marriage.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

i will answer all of your questions in details when i get back home, my cousin just got back from his honeymoon in Thailand, and i am going to pay him a visit to congratulate him on the marriage.
    And you wonder why we think your in the top 1/4 of the population.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    204 Post(s)

why did you assume that i am from the top 1/4 of the population ???
    College education. Talk about coming to US for grad work. That's not the lot of poor or middle class in most countries. Europeans tend to travel a bit, but then again it's location. Cousin just came back from Thailand for honeymoon. Yep, doesn't sound like most middle class families.

"The government is a child that has found their parents credit card, and spends knowing that they never have to reconcile the bill with their own money"-Shannon Churchill

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    204 Post(s)

Egypt is looking more and more like pre-Revolution Iran. There are problems there, serious problems. The overthrow of the government though is not necessarily in the best interests of the area. A revolution there is likely to turn out very bad.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Egypt is looking more and more like pre-Revolution Iran. There are problems there, serious problems. The overthrow of the government though is not necessarily in the best interests of the area. A revolution there is likely to turn out very bad.
    The list of islamic groups involved in the rioting was extensive. It is looking very much like iran's revolution. An autocratic ruler being forced out by religious nut jobs. And just like iran our administration is doing nothing, yawning and sitting back to watch. We are seeing the makings of a islamic soviet block building here.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

College education. Talk about coming to US for grad work. That's not the lot of poor or middle class in most countries. Europeans tend to travel a bit, but then again it's location. Cousin just came back from Thailand for honeymoon. Yep, doesn't sound like most middle class families.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

The list of islamic groups involved in the rioting was extensive. It is looking very much like iran's revolution. An autocratic ruler being forced out by religious nut jobs. And just like iran our administration is doing nothing, yawning and sitting back to watch. We are seeing the makings of a islamic soviet block building here.
    just a basic info till i am able to explain in details...

the riots didn't have anything to do at all with any islamic movements, it was organized by the youth on Facebook to express their anger from the government, and the islamic organizations in egypt didn't take part in the riots which was supposed to be peaceful at first, but i believe that few stupid violent islamists blinded within the crowds to start the riot, or maybe just a stupid nervous young man started it, we will never know, it just takes one stone thrown at the police to convert a peaceful demonstration into riots, so we will never know who threw that stone.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    204 Post(s)

Ok, why can you post smilies, but not answer Gaffer? You also totally ignore any points he or I brought up. So, your family are from the lower 73% of the population?

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

.. And just like iran our administration is doing nothing, yawning and sitting back to watch. We are seeing the makings of a islamic soviet block building here.
    Keep in mind that a big part of the Islamic Revolution in Iran was, in fact, do to US involvement. It was a CIA covert operation that ousted their Prime Minister in favor of a US backed leader which pissed off the Islamic hardliners and ultimately helped fuel the revolution years later. We didn't just sit back and watch, we supplied the kindling for the fire.

There are similarities here with Egypt. While Egypt's leaders weren't propped up by the US, their close ties with the "West" don't sit well with the hard line Islamic conservatives and this will probably get worse over time. On thing is for sure, an Islamic Revolution in Egypt would be a nasty affair with a negative global impact.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    204 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Thunderknuckles View Post
    Keep in mind that a big part of the Islamic Revolution in Iran was, in fact, do to US involvement. It was a CIA covert operation that ousted their Prime Minister in favor of a US backed leader which pissed off the Islamic hardliners and ultimately helped fuel the revolution years later. We didn't just sit back and watch, we supplied the kindling for the fire.

There are similarities here with Egypt. While Egypt's leaders weren't propped up by the US, their close ties with the "West" don't sit well with the hard line Islamic conservatives and this will probably get worse over time. On thing is for sure, an Islamic Revolution in Egypt would be a nasty affair with a negative global impact.
    Carter during the Iranian Revolution, Obama during Egypt's. Another crossover.