Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default Iraq war effort 'hampering' US tornado recovery

WELL....Who didn't see this coming???

Last Update: Tuesday, May 8, 2007. 8:00am (AEST)

Kansas Governor Kathleen Sebelius says a shortage of trucks, helicopters and other equipment - all sent to the war in Iraq - has hampered recovery in a US town obliterated by a tornado.

"There is no doubt at all that this will slow down and hamper the recovery," Governor Sebelius, a Democrat, said in Kansas, where officials said the statewide death toll had risen to 12.

"Not having this equipment in place all over the state is a huge handicap."

The tornado that devastated Greensburg, 175 kilometres west of Wichita, started a weekend of violent weather in Kansas, a state in the heart of the central United States region known as "Tornado Alley."

Ten died in Greensburg, a town of 1,600 people. An 11th died in nearby Pratt County and a 12th in a separate tornado in Ottawa County.

The twisters were accompanied by widespread flooding on Sunday and Monday (local time) that required more than 200 water rescues and closed many roads and shuttered several schools in another part of the state.

"We're getting pounded in Kansas. We have the need for National Guard in two different parts of our state now. This is really going to be a problem," Governor Sebelius said.

She and other Democratic governors earlier this year assailed the Republican Bush administration for the strains they said the war had placed on their states' National Guardsmen, who are frequently mobilised for state emergencies.
    http://www.abc.net.au/news/newsitems...5/s1916800.htm
    "A nation can survive its fools, and even the ambitious. But it cannot survive treason from within. An enemy at the gates is less formidable, for he is known and carries his banner openly. But the traitor moves amongst those within the gate freely, his sly whispers rustling through all the alleys, heard in the very halls of government itself."
    Tullius Cicero (106-43 BC)

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

is there anything they are not going to blame Bush's activities in Iraq for?

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by avatar4321 View Post
    i got $100 on paris hilton's drunk driving arrest............

"I would rather live my life as if there is a God and die to find out there isn't, than live my life as if there isn't and die to find out there is."

~Albert Camus

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by avatar4321 View Post
    I don't know that she really is blaiming Bush.

People need to understand how far apart the towns in Kansas really are. There is a town and then 50 miles away another town, with nothing but free range in between.

So yes, national guardsman would be a huge help to these people. Realize the hospital was destroyed and the closest hosp. was Dodge (50 miles away).

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)

Has Ms. Sebelius mentioned yet, that more than 40% of all the personal income in the U.S., is taken as taxes? And that NONE of it is available for helping the people of her state recover from the tornadoes? Our governments spend it all on entitlements, Social Security, Welfare, etc... and the military takes a relatively small portion of that spending, even with the Iraq war on.

Has Ms. Sebelius figured out how much more would be available to help the residents of Kansas, if total tax rates were a more reasonable 10% instead of more than 40%?

Let me know when she makes THAT announcement.

I'm not holding my breath.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Trigg View Post
    I don't know that she really is blaiming Bush.

People need to understand how far apart the towns in Kansas really are. There is a town and then 50 miles away another town, with nothing but free range in between.

So yes, national guardsman would be a huge help to these people. Realize the hospital was destroyed and the closest hosp. was Dodge (50 miles away).
    The PEOPLE of Kansas and neighboring states will help Greensberg FAR more than any guard unit. Hide and watch. It will also be of note to watch all those who DO NOT LIFT A FINGER.

A nutcase will do nutty things.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Dilloduck View Post
    The PEOPLE of Kansas and neighboring states will help Greensberg FAR more than any guard unit. Hide and watch. It will also be of note to watch all those who DO NOT LIFT A FINGER.
    My dad has cousins who live (lived) in Greensburg. I do hope they rebuild.

But I also realize how hard it will be for them since the towns are so far apart and there are so few people out there these days.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default I guess this is the meme being passed around for another BLAME BUSH..

National Guard Readiness
    May 7th, 2007 by Office of the Speaker
    The war in Iraq has had a serious impact on the National Guard and its ability to protect and assist Americans in times of disaster here at home. On Friday May 4th, a massive tornado ripped through the town of Greensburg, Kansas killing at least 10 people and leaving the town in ruins. Kansas Gov. Kathleen Sebelius told the media that the recovery effort has been hampered by the National Guard’s lack of equipment as a result of the Iraq war:

“Well, states all over the country are not only missing personnel, National Guard troops are — about 40 percent of the troops on the ground in Iraq and Afghanistan — but we’re missing the equipment. When the troops get deployed, the equipment goes with them. So, here in Kansas, about 50 percent of our trucks are gone. We need trucks. We’re missing Humvees, we’re missing all kinds of equipment that can help us respond to this kind of emergency.” [CNN, 5/7/07]

The warnings about National Guard readiness have been clear – states are not as ready as they should be to respond to natural disasters and other emergencies here at home. That is why House Democrats included $2 billion, not requested by the President in the U.S. Troop Readiness, Veterans’ Health, and Iraq Accountability Act for a new Strategic Reserve Readiness Fund of which $1 billion is for Army National Guard equipment shortfalls. Unfortunately, the President vetoed this bill, along with this additional funding for the Army National Guard.

GAO Report, January 2007
    “The high use of the National Guard for federal overseas missions has reduced equipment available for its state-led domestic missions, at the same time it faces an expanded array of threats at home.” [GAO, “Reserve Forces: Actions Needed to Identify National Guard Domestic Equipment Requirements and Readiness,” January 2007]

Lt. Gen. H. Steven Blum, Chief, National Guard Bureau
    “They (the governors) are rightfully concerned that while the personnel part of the Guard has never been better, never been more ready, the equipment piece to the National Guard back here at home has never been less ready, and they are trying to resolve that obvious disconnect…The message is clear: What we have in the budget does not produce the level of readiness that they feel comfortable with.” [Stateline.org; 2/25/07]

North Carolina Governor Michael Easley, Co-lead on National Guard issues for the National Governors Association
    “We the governors rely on the Guard to respond to natural disasters, a pandemic or terrorist attack…Currently, we don’t have the manpower or the equipment to perform that dual role” of responding to both state and federal needs. [Los Angeles Times, 2/25/07]

Maj. Gen. Arnold Punaro, Chairman of the Commission on the National Guard and Reserves
    “Well, right now, we’re not prepared. We are not prepared for the threats this nation faces here at home. And because in this business you can’t be half-ready or half-prepared, you’re either ready or you aren’t.” [PBS, NewsHour, March 1, 2007]

Maj. Gen. R. Martin Umbarger, Head of the Indiana National Guard
    “What keeps me up at night is, I think I am able to surge . . . for the normal disaster, but if I needed to deploy every bit of my soldiers and airmen, I know for a fact I do not have enough equipment.” [Washington Post, 3/2/07]

Lt. Col. Pete Schneider, Spokesman for the Louisiana National Guard
    “We are really concerned about vehicles…We would have enough for a small-scale issue . . . maybe a Category 1 tropical storm we could handle — an event that doesn’t involve massive flooding or massive search and rescue.”[Washington Post, 3/2/07]

Col. Robert Simpson, Director of the Joint Staff for the Virginia National Guard
    In the event of “a very large . . . chemical, biological or nuclear incident in the national capital region, I would need every truck I was authorized, and we don’t have that…We are definitely short trucks, all wheeled vehicles,” as well as radios, bulldozers and other gear. [Washington Post, 3/2/07]

This entry was posted on Monday, May 7th, 2007 at 3:49 pm by Office of the Speaker and is filed under Real Security, Iraq. You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0 feed. Responses are currently closed, but you can trackback from your own site.
    "A nation can survive its fools, and even the ambitious. But it cannot survive treason from within. An enemy at the gates is less formidable, for he is known and carries his banner openly. But the traitor moves amongst those within the gate freely, his sly whispers rustling through all the alleys, heard in the very halls of government itself."

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Dilloduck View Post
    The national guard would have ALREADY helped those people in need in Kansas if they were still IN Kansas instead of in Iraq.

After the flood and roads are cleared they won't need much help, but the emergency services demand was huge compared to Kansas population.

When I suggest that we need the nat guard here to defend our own nation nobody sees it.

DO YOU SEE IT NOW!

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

What I'm finding Very Pathetic...

Is that the media and the Democrats, are using any natural disaster and the people who are suffering from them....As a way to somehow blame it on President Bush...

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by stephanie View Post

Is that the media and the Democrats, are using any natural disaster and the people who are suffering from them....As a way to somehow blame it on President Bush...

They prefer to call it tactics. Politicans prefer control to results.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

What is even more pathetic is that nobody but you has mentioned Bush in the thread or lead article.

The "blame" has been assigned to the personel and resource vacuum of Iraq.

Funny you would falsely perceive blame of Bush when none occured. or is that pathetic?

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by loosecannon View Post
    What is even more pathetic is that nobody but you has mentioned Bush in the thread or lead article.

The "blame" has been assigned to the personel and resource vacuum of Iraq.

Funny you would falsely perceive blame of Bush when none occured. or is that pathetic?
    Yeaaaaaaaaaah right...

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Yeaaaaaaaaaah right...
    Who mentioned Bush other than you?

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by loosecannon View Post
    Who mentioned Bush other than you?
    Whose "fault" is it that the guard is in Iraq, Mr. Cannon? Stephanie just ate your lunch.