Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    514 Post(s)

Default Sports star fined for saying "faggot"

Kobe Bryant, star of the Los Angeles Lakers, was fined $100k yesterday for mouthing the word "faggot" after receiving a technical foul during a game. Then he was more or less forced to call the faggot worshipers at "glaad" and apologize for using such nasty language.

Amazing, they call themselves faggot and queer, but when a normal person uses the word it's as if they committed a crime.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news;_yl...ers-bryantslur
    “You know the world is going crazy when the best rapper is a white guy, the best golfer is a black guy, the tallest guy in the NBA is Chinese, the Swiss hold the America's Cup, France is accusing the U.S. of arrogance, Germany doesn't want to go to war, and the three most powerful men in America are named "Bush", "Dick", and "Colin." Need I say more?” - Chris Rock

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jimnyc View Post
    Kobe Bryant, star of the Los Angeles Lakers, was fined $100k yesterday for mouthing the word "faggot" after receiving a technical foul during a game. Then he was more or less forced to call the faggot worshipers at "glaad" and apologize for using such nasty language.

Amazing, they call themselves faggot and queer, but when a normal person uses the word it's as if they committed a crime.

Its just unsportsmanlike, that's why they fined him. If he'd of called him a a racial slur, i imagine the fine would've been the same.
    He who learns must suffer. And even in our sleep pain that cannot forget falls drop by drop upon the heart, and in our own despair, against our will, comes wisdom to us by the awful grace of God.AeschylusRead more at http://www.brainyquote.com/quotes/qu...zeMUwcpY1Io.99

Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    139 Post(s)

it's sick - it's a sign of our society's failures - not the name call...the fine. We protect everybody from things anyone could remotely find offensive.
    “… the greatest detractor from high performance is fear: fear that you are not prepared, fear that you are in over your head, fear that you are not worthy, and ultimately, fear of failure. If you can eliminate that fear—not through arrogance or just wishing difficulties away, but through hard work and preparation—you will put yourself in an incredibly powerful position to take on the challenges you face" - Pete Carroll.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Isn't that a cigarette?
    No matter where I've traveled or how great the trip was, it's always wonderful to return to my country, The United States of America......... me

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Sitarro View Post
    Isn't that a cigarette?
    Kobe did play in Europe
    He who learns must suffer. And even in our sleep pain that cannot forget falls drop by drop upon the heart, and in our own despair, against our will, comes wisdom to us by the awful grace of God.AeschylusRead more at http://www.brainyquote.com/quotes/qu...zeMUwcpY1Io.99

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    47 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by dmp View Post
    it's sick - it's a sign of our society's failures - not the name call...the fine. We protect everybody from things anyone could remotely find offensive.
    He's an employee who brought unwanted attention to his employer while on the job; this isn't a free speech or societal issue.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    514 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by logroller View Post
    Its just unsportsmanlike, that's why they fined him. If he'd of called him a a racial slur, i imagine the fine would've been the same.
    Even the commissioner, who levied the fine, specifically called him out for the word and stated "a distasteful term should never be tolerated".

Yet if you watch ANY basketball game you can read their lips and see the F word used probably hundreds of times per game. So it's ok to say fuck but say faggot just once and it'll cost you $100k!
    “You know the world is going crazy when the best rapper is a white guy, the best golfer is a black guy, the tallest guy in the NBA is Chinese, the Swiss hold the America's Cup, France is accusing the U.S. of arrogance, Germany doesn't want to go to war, and the three most powerful men in America are named "Bush", "Dick", and "Colin." Need I say more?” - Chris Rock

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    514 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by fj1200 View Post
    He's an employee who brought unwanted attention to his employer while on the job; this isn't a free speech or societal issue.
    It is when the commissioner and owners cater to deviants trying to be accepted in society, and they do so in the name of political correctness.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    47 Post(s)

It is when the commissioner and owners cater to deviants trying to be accepted in society, and they do so in the name of political correctness.
    That's your term and apparently not the Association's viewpoint. You can call it political correctness and they can call it what they will but they are a private enterprise that can choose not to piss off a significant demographic of fans, especially in LA. This is not something to get worked up about.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

It's the usual political correctness trying to suppress free speech. This is actually a first amendment issue. It's a private organization suppressing speech in this case.
    When I die I'm sure to go to heaven, cause I spent my time in hell.

You get more with a kind word and a two by four, than you do with just a kind word.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    47 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Gaffer View Post
    It's the usual political correctness trying to suppress free speech. This is actually a first amendment issue. It's a private organization suppressing speech in this case.
    No it's not. Kobe Bryant doesn't have freedom of speech while he's wearing a Lakers uniform.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    204 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by fj1200 View Post
    No it's not. Kobe Bryant doesn't have freedom of speech while he's wearing a Lakers uniform.
    I get that, but then they need to set some forbidden words. As Jim said, we're not 'protected' from many mouthed words that are extremely offensive to many. I've seen the F word lots of time, even MF. Bitch is common.

"The government is a child that has found their parents credit card, and spends knowing that they never have to reconcile the bill with their own money"-Shannon Churchill

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

They do it because it affects potential advertising dollars and their bottom line. The mission of a business is to make money! No matter the issue, if advertisers become hesitant to fork over the millions of dollars they do, a business will take whatever measures necessary to restore their confidence.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    514 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by logroller View Post
    They do it because it affects potential advertising dollars and their bottom line. The mission of a business is to make money! No matter the issue, if advertisers become hesitant to fork over the millions of dollars they do, a business will take whatever measures necessary to restore their confidence.
    Hence my posting this in the first place, and speaking about our "society". We won't fine and/or discourage when people are saying "fuck, bitch, motherfucker, jerk off..." but call someone a term that the "offended" already call one another and you will lose advertising AND money from your own wallet via fines.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I wonder what would have happened had Magic Johnson said it?
    I DONT CLAIM TO KN0OW ANYTHING ABOUT HUMAN NATURE
    N
    OIR DO I KNOW ANYTHING ABOUT CRITICAL THINKING