Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Default $2 Million Dollars For This?

Another example of your tax dollars at work

“When it comes to eating, what’s more simple than a plate?” First Lady Michelle Obama asked this morning at the unveiling of the U.S. Department of Agriculture’s newest tool for nutritional standards, MyPlate.

Today the U.S.D.A. announced that they’ve killed off the dietary guidelines outlined by previous food pyramids released in 1991 and 2005—and have replaced it with a new diagram in the shape of dinner plate in response to rising obesity rates in children.

Gone is the basement level of the pyramid—the heftiest slab—a foundation of breads, starches and other carbohydrates. Gone is the mid section of fruits and veggies narrowing to the tiniest peak of fats, sweets and oils built on Bush-era dietary research that all fats were bad fats.

“We’re working to make healthy choices easy choices,” said Surgeon General Regina Benjamin at this morning’s unveiling, who linked the new diagram to First Lady Obama’s Let’s Move campaign. Agriculture Secretary Tom Vilsack followed by explaining the need for the tool, “My Pyramid was simply too complex,” he said, and is confident the new tool will be effective is a “simple visual research based icon about proportion sizes and what should be on the American plate.”
    Enter MyPlate, the third food logo the U.S.D.A has pitched in the past twenty years. Now those same fruits and vegetables take center stage and make up 50% of the recommended daily diet. Instead of complex food groups, the plate is split into an easy four: fruits, vegetables, proteins and grain. A dairy icon sits to the top right, symbolizing a glass of milk.

Obama praised the simplicity of the diagram for parents concerned with their kids’ healthy eating habits: “It’s nice to know that if half [of a child’s] meal is fruits and vegetables alongside grains, proteins and low-fat dairy, then they’re good.”

http://blogs.forbes.com/meghancasser...ate-nutrition/

How do you tell a communist? Well, it's someone who reads Marx and Lenin. And how do you tell an anti-Communist? It's someone who understands Marx and Lenin.

Ronald Reagan

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

This nation wastes way too much money
    If we were as industrious to become good as to make ourselves great, we should become really great by being good, and the number of valuable men would be much increased; but it is a grand mistake to think of being great without goodness; and i pronounce it as certain that there was never yet a truly great man that was not at the same time truly virtuous." - Ben Franklin

Imagine what good we can do if we all joined together, united as followers of Christ - M. Russell Ballard

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by avatar4321 View Post
    This nation wastes way too much money
    Which is why the debt limit should NOT be raised

How do you tell a communist? Well, it's someone who reads Marx and Lenin. And how do you tell an anti-Communist? It's someone who understands Marx and Lenin.

Ronald Reagan

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    514 Post(s)

I'm not following the link as I'm afraid it may have a picture of that beast. But am I to believe it's JUST that picture that cost 2 million? I could have saved them about all of that save about $200-500. Hell, I'm willing to bet that Darin could make something 50x better than that for free!!
    “You know the world is going crazy when the best rapper is a white guy, the best golfer is a black guy, the tallest guy in the NBA is Chinese, the Swiss hold the America's Cup, France is accusing the U.S. of arrogance, Germany doesn't want to go to war, and the three most powerful men in America are named "Bush", "Dick", and "Colin." Need I say more?” - Chris Rock

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jimnyc View Post
    I'm not following the link as I'm afraid it may have a picture of that beast. But am I to believe it's JUST that picture that cost 2 million? I could have saved them about all of that save about $200-500. Hell, I'm willing to bet that Darin could make something 50x better than that for free!!
    You ot it Jim - and keep the books open on the cost

According to the New York Times, the U.S.D.A. has already spent $2 million developing and promoting the plate logo, costs that covered research, focus groups and the creation of a new Web site. That total will likely swell after publicity efforts are kicked off in the first year of the new campaign announced this morning by First Lady Obama, who promised that her Let’s Move initiative would continue to work to promote MyPlate in coming months.

“Since seeing the plate icon, I can’t help but look at my own plate differently,” Obama said. “I find myself doing a quick checklist to know that I have a balanced meal. I know that in the months to come millions of Americans will be doing the same thing thanks to MyPlate.”

No remember Jim, taxes must go up because the government needs the money for VITAL programs

Ronald Reagan

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by red states rule View Post
    Which is why the debt limit should NOT be raised
    I don't disagree that it should not be raised. I just think we've reached the point where we can't avoid it because our politicians are too busy kicking the can down the road they don't fix our problem.

There is absolutely no reason we shouldnt have a balanced budget this year.
    If we were as industrious to become good as to make ourselves great, we should become really great by being good, and the number of valuable men would be much increased; but it is a grand mistake to think of being great without goodness; and i pronounce it as certain that there was never yet a truly great man that was not at the same time truly virtuous." - Ben Franklin

Imagine what good we can do if we all joined together, united as followers of Christ - M. Russell Ballard

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by avatar4321 View Post
    I don't disagree that it should not be raised. I just think we've reached the point where we can't avoid it because our politicians are too busy kicking the can down the road they don't fix our problem.

There is absolutely no reason we shouldnt have a balanced budget this year.
    You are 100% correct.

I would love to see a balanced budget offered and watch the Dems and Obama squirm

Ronald Reagan

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    88 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by red states rule View Post
    You are 100% correct.

I would love to see a balanced budget offered and watch the Dems and Obama squirm
    If they were able to create a balanced budget they would be cutting the government to such a degree they might have to read those bills themselves.
    If the freedom of speech is taken away
    then dumb and silent we may be led,
    like sheep to the slaughter.

George Washington (1732-1799) First President of the USA.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by SassyLady View Post
    If they were able to create a balanced budget they would be cutting the government to such a degree they might have to read those bills themselves.
    When I saw this story SL, I thought given the economic policies of Obama folks like me should be happy we have ANYTHING on our plate period

Ronald Reagan