Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    126 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by J.T View Post
    Christians dream of a theocratic dictatorship.
    By the one who created the whole show (seems about right), not by Christians over non-Christians.

Their heaven knows no freedom of thought, let alone any other liberties.
    Well at that point there won't be any question as to whos in Charge and whether there is a GOD or who made us or how were built to act. since the creator will be there. Sure your free to make up things like a child who tells the parent that fire isn't hot. but whats the point?

Jesus was a bum who crashed on people's floors and begged for money.
    He worked till he was about 30 And then spent 3.5 years pointing people to peace and God. Then threw himself on the grenade of hell for the world. but that's not work some folks appreciate. OH and he came back from the dead, partly to show that it could be done.
    And as far as others work goes there's something in the old testament some where OYEAH the book of Genesis the 3rd chapter and the 10 commandments. about working 6 days and resting 1.
    And in the new testament something about, If an able bodied christian didn't work then he shouldn't eat.

But JT please Don't let facts get in your way.

Christianity knows no responsibility. You can do anything and be 'saved' before death and all is forgotten.
    Well JT you start to soon here. you have to do the sinning 1st. Which you or Someone has to pay for. So the sinner is responsible for the greif of God and the Death of Christ. And only an ungrateful person would forget that gift. And at that point the Christian is responsible to tell others... and take abuse, of the light kind expressed here by yourself and Wind Song, but some sacrifice and suffer terribly to get the message to the whole world.
    It is proper to take alarm at the first experiment on our liberties. The freeman of America did not wait till usurped power had strengthened itself by exercise, and entangled the question in precedents. James Madison
    Live as free people, yet without employing your freedom as a pretext for wickedness; but live at all times as servants of God.
    1 Peter 2:16

Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    139 Post(s)

Christians dream of a theocratic dictatorship. Their heaven knows no freedom of thought, let alone any other liberties.
    Christophobes say that shit all the time.

Jesus was a bum who crashed on people's floors and begged for money.
    and you're a retard with a keyboard. Nice.

Christianity knows no responsibility. You can do anything and be 'saved' before death and all is forgotten.
    That's called Grace, dumbass.
    “… the greatest detractor from high performance is fear: fear that you are not prepared, fear that you are in over your head, fear that you are not worthy, and ultimately, fear of failure. If you can eliminate that fear—not through arrogance or just wishing difficulties away, but through hard work and preparation—you will put yourself in an incredibly powerful position to take on the challenges you face" - Pete Carroll.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by revelarts View Post
    how were built to act.
    Built to act? What about free will? You're starting to sound like a caricature of an evolutionist.
    not by Christians over non-Christians
    Do you not know that we will judge angels?
    He worked till he was about 30
    Source? Nowhere does the bible say that. He goes from being a child to being an adult mooching off his neighbors. They edited out whatever happened in between without so much as a single sentence mentioning where he was or what he was doing.
    you have to do the sinning 1st.
    No, you don't. You're born with the stain of sin. No man can ever be clean and free of sin. That's kind of an important part of the entire premise.

Quote Originally Posted by dmp View Post
    Christophobes say that shit all the time.
    So does the bible. Go figure.

and you're a retard with a keyboard. Nice.
    A bit defensive, eh? Why follow a communist if you're going to get so upset when the bible says his followers were a bunch of commies?

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    126 Post(s)

Built to act? What about free will? You're starting to sound like a caricature of an evolutionist.
    Who said you had free will? BUT assuming that you do, It's my understanding, at this point , that those that want to exercise a free will that's going to bring harm to others or themselves by the creators prefect standards will have opted out anyway.
    But JT I'm not sure what your trying to complain about, do you want free netflixs or to get tats or drive faster than speed limit? what do think you'll want to do that will be so horribly denied.

I should have qualified it by saying Other HUMANS on earth in faux Christian theocracy before Christ returns.

Source? Nowhere does the bible say that. He goes from being a child to being an adult mooching off his neighbors. They edited out whatever happened in between without so much as a single sentence mentioning where he was or what he was doing.
    It was custom for sons to follow in the family trade, the 1st born even more so, without evidence to the contrary I'd say that's a fair assumption.

No, you don't. You're born with the stain of sin. No man can ever be clean and free of sin. That's kind of an important part of the entire premise.
    Some would dispute that but not me. It is important however to acknowledge that we do commit real time sin as well. That's not counting on the plus side of the ledger for us. Like the national debt were born into. we've started in a hole and we keep digging.
    It is proper to take alarm at the first experiment on our liberties. The freeman of America did not wait till usurped power had strengthened itself by exercise, and entangled the question in precedents. James Madison
    Live as free people, yet without employing your freedom as a pretext for wickedness; but live at all times as servants of God.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Who said you had free will?
    If you don't, then you can't sin. The Christian premise falls apart, rendering your entire argument null.
    It was custom for sons to follow in the family trade, the 1st born even more so, without evidence to the contrary I'd say that's a fair assumption.
    I say it's safe to assume he was a child molester and a murderer for hire and that's why they didn't want to mention the missing 30 years.

But we can't really know either way, now can we? Whatever it was, it got left out of all existing versions of the story

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    126 Post(s)

I say it's safe to assume he was a child molester and a murderer for hire and that's why they didn't want to mention the missing 30 years.

But we can't really know either way, now can we? Whatever it was, it got left out of all existing versions of the story
    As you have so often pointed out the old testament was pretty harsh in some areas. the crimes you mentioned would have got him Stoned pretty Dang good. And he was held in some moderate esteem at home and his religious enemies of the day who were looking for faults never seemed to have anything to accuse him of even close to that so ummm Nope, I think we can logically rule those out.
    With zero direct evidence, the general culture and customs would seems to be the best bet IMHO. Espesially since the childhood account and other accounts seems to portray him generally as a fairly provencal Jewish man.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

As you have so often pointed out the old testament was pretty harsh in some areas. the crimes you mentioned would have got him Stoned pretty Dang good.
    Nah. Remember, it said he could summon a legion of angels at will. He was quite a powerful warlock, too. Not so hard to imagine people being too scared to talk after Michael comes down and kills everyone holding rocks, is it?
    And he was held in some moderate esteem at home and his religious enemies of the day who were looking for faults never seemed to have anything to accuse him of even close to that
    How many would really know? I mean, even today neighbors are oft surprised when they find out what the odd folk down the street were doing.

so ummm Nope, I think we can logically rule those out.
    No, we can't. There's no evidence either way. Whatever it was, it was worth removing from the record, though.

Espesially since the childhood account and other accounts seems to portray him generally as a fairly provencal Jewish man.
    And where would that take us? Keep in mind that the rape of young virgin girls is not exactly an unforgivable offense under Jewish law. It just costs some silver coins and then your new wife has to die an 'accidental' death when she's too old to be any fun any more. So Jesus being a fan of raping young girls (quite young indeed, to ensure they were virgins) would not only have not led to his stoning, but wouldn't have even been all that big a deal. We already know he had a fondness for travel, as well, so there's no reason to assume he couldn't have been a traveling serial rapist- hell, it'd help explain why his neighbors didn't know any better. Of course, he demonstrated no great love or respect for social norms later on and he seems to have felt at home among the thieves and harlots, so maybe he just spent 30 years drinking, sleeping with whores, and enjoying all the carnal world had to offer before being called to his higher purpose. Maybe it was his way of dealing with the stress of time-traveling as a baby to be persecuted by a man who died before he was born- one hundred years before he was born, since many in the early church thought Jesus lived a century earlier. Or maybe they just didn't feel like making up that part of the myth- after all, Paul seems to think Jesus never set foot on Earth ('If Jesus had been on Earth...', he writes in Hebrews) and always set the Jesus story in some other, mythical universe.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by gabosaurus View Post
    Those who have come into contact with Andrea Yates, David Korresh and Timothy McVeigh might disagree with you.
    actually, it would have to be folks with no actual knowledge of Andrea Yates, David Korresh and Timothy McVeigh.........
    ...full immersion.....

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    88 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by gabosaurus View Post
    I am a Christian. I am also a liberal. I think everyone should be allowed to believe what they want to believe. Which alone tells you how liberal I am.
    I am not religious, nor am I an atheist.

I am a centrist......but the radical, fanatical, progressive liberals are moving the center (Overton Window) by enacting cultural changes that are damaging our society, therefore, my beliefs are aligning more on the right side of center as time moves on.
    If the freedom of speech is taken away
    then dumb and silent we may be led,
    like sheep to the slaughter.

George Washington (1732-1799) First President of the USA.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by SassyLady View Post
    I am not religious, nor am I an atheist.
    So you're a deist, then?

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    372 Post(s)

So you're a deist, then?
    Do feel free to skip the blather leaking out of your lips and get to the part where Hitler has nothing on you where religion is concerned. You BOTH bastardize it and use it to your own foul ends.
    “When bad men combine, the good must associate; else they will fall, one by one, an unpitied sacrifice in a contemptible struggle.” Edumnd Burke

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    88 Post(s)

So you're a deist, then?
    I don't classify myself ... it has a tendency to stereotype....I really don't fit any category. For example, I believe in a creator, but don't believe there is a set plan in motion that doesn't change. I believe in some prophecies and miracles. I just don't have a "religion" that tells me what to believe.
    If the freedom of speech is taken away
    then dumb and silent we may be led,
    like sheep to the slaughter.

George Washington (1732-1799) First President of the USA.