Thread: Vinyl Records?

Mentioned
    79 Post(s)

Default Vinyl Records?

Rawr!

Posting as I'm really starting to get into collecting vinyls, got my record player just over a year ago and have been building up a collection.

As it currently stands - (Every Smiths Album and single ever released, One Morrissey album and 4 Morrissey singles)

Im also currently waiting on 2 Beatles albums and 6 Elvis albums to be delivered ^,^

Solly do you (or did you) have a coection yourself? If so what were your favs and/or first bought?
    If you also agree that an animals suffering should be avoided rather than encouraged, consider what steps you can take.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

The record player I have right now looks like an old time Juke box, but it's not the only one I have owned. I have a whole cabnet full of albums. Most purchased when I was very young. Everything from Tommy James,Bread,Beatles,Loggins and Messina,Elvis...to Monkee's,Osmonds,Bay City Rollers. I love old records.

Don't really remember exactly what was the very first one I bought for myself with my own money. But I think it was either Bread's greatest hits or The Monkee's.

I DO clearly remember being in grade school and making my dad order a Tommy James Album from an ad on TV though. Played that album to death when I got it.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

First album I bought for myself was in 1964, Introducing the Beatles. $2.98. I had hundreds of albums at one time. All gone now. I do have an old record box full of 45's mostly rare. No record player tho.
    When I die I'm sure to go to heaven, cause I spent my time in hell.

You get more with a kind word and a two by four, than you do with just a kind word.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    514 Post(s)

I wish I could go back in time and realize the value of saving them, or the sound you can only get from a vinyl record. I wasn't real big into music until cassette tapes were released and I just avoided the vinyl. But my brothers had a decent collection of rock albums from the 60's, 70's and 80's (even some 8 track). My Mom and Dad had the oldies though, stuff I laughed at often but wouldn't mind pulling out and listening to now. My Mom had Perry Como, tons of Elvis, Conway Twitty, The Supremes, Billy Joel and lots of other music from their era. My Dad liked Kenny Rogers and theme music to war movies! He'd pop his records on, or tune into a war movie, and you'd think the house was under attack. Dad was cheap but had one hell of a stereo system!
    “You know the world is going crazy when the best rapper is a white guy, the best golfer is a black guy, the tallest guy in the NBA is Chinese, the Swiss hold the America's Cup, France is accusing the U.S. of arrogance, Germany doesn't want to go to war, and the three most powerful men in America are named "Bush", "Dick", and "Colin." Need I say more?” - Chris Rock

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)

I still have all of my DuranDuran records

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    514 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Trigg View Post
    I still have all of my DuranDuran records
    Yeah, I think my sister had one or 2 of their as well. I might have listened to a song or 2 of theirs, but wouldn't be caught dead buying one of their albums!
    “You know the world is going crazy when the best rapper is a white guy, the best golfer is a black guy, the tallest guy in the NBA is Chinese, the Swiss hold the America's Cup, France is accusing the U.S. of arrogance, Germany doesn't want to go to war, and the three most powerful men in America are named "Bush", "Dick", and "Colin." Need I say more?” - Chris Rock

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Gaffer View Post
    First album I bought for myself was in 1964, Introducing the Beatles. $2.98. I had hundreds of albums at one time. All gone now. I do have an old record box full of 45's mostly rare. No record player tho.
    Yeah...I used to have a vintage metal box of 45's too all old and some very rare that I found in a closet at my grandparents house when I was little and they let me have them. Used to spend hours listening to them when I visited...so, they let me take them home with me one day. Infact...that is one grudge that I will hold against my ex until the day I die. When we moved...he put them in the garage without me knowing...then one day while he was cleaning the garage...he put that metal box in the driveway where it got baked by the sun for several hours. Ruined all of my 45's.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jimnyc View Post
    Yeah, I think my sister had one or 2 of their as well. I might have listened to a song or 2 of theirs, but wouldn't be caught dead buying one of their albums!
    You ever seen duranduran's video for girls on film., the uncensored version..lots of T&A..only song I know they sing TBH.
    My first album was Twisted Sister...a gift from my sister It had the song We're not gonna take it. Music is a gateway drug!

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I used to collect albums, 45's and I have several albums of classical music that were my parents. The classicals are 78's. I haven't listened to any of them in years. They are all stored. I have some beatles, but I have no idea if any album is worth a plum nickle.
    "Find the cost of freedom buried in the ground." Crosby, Stills and Nash......

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Sorry. I hit the submit button a second time by accident and it wouldn't let me delete the post so I erased it.
    "Find the cost of freedom buried in the ground." Crosby, Stills and Nash......