Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

I think that way too rev. No telling what might be out there that we wouldn't even recognize as intelligent. I do think man is to hung up on himself. Even in religion god is made to have human characteristics. And one thing that turns me off on scifi shows is aliens that speak English.
    When I die I'm sure to go to heaven, cause I spent my time in hell.

You get more with a kind word and a two by four, than you do with just a kind word.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    126 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Gaffer View Post
    I think that way too rev. No telling what might be out there that we wouldn't even recognize as intelligent. I do think man is to hung up on himself. Even in religion god is made to have human characteristics. And one thing that turns me off on scifi shows is aliens that speak English.
    the English thing is funny.

not to turn this into a religious thread but , as you might guess, I don't have a problem with GOD speaking to us or "being like us" in certain respects.
    God is large enough to make himself relateable to anything, everything and every creature he's created in the Universe. the fact that there are aspects of our being that are like Him is not a limit on him. We have aspects like him but we don't have all of his. We have no idea and may not even be able to conceive of his full nature. We can't limit his description to us us but we can start there in some respects.
    It is proper to take alarm at the first experiment on our liberties. The freeman of America did not wait till usurped power had strengthened itself by exercise, and entangled the question in precedents. James Madison
    Live as free people, yet without employing your freedom as a pretext for wickedness; but live at all times as servants of God.
    1 Peter 2:16

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    368 Post(s)

And don't forget their focus on the ability to shape shift into human form to "fool" us.
    “When bad men combine, the good must associate; else they will fall, one by one, an unpitied sacrifice in a contemptible struggle.” Edumnd Burke

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

A few thoughts come to mind. 1. We might be the first. Someone has to be the first intelligent life to develop in the universe. It could be us and others will follow later. If that's the case, we won't make contact with any other intelligent life unless they catch up to us. 2. Other intelligent life may have existed previously, but it's already extinct, in which case we won't make contact. If they had previously sent out radio signals, we could detect them, but maybe they never sent any. 3. We care about whether other intelligent life exists, but maybe the other intelligent life doesn't care whether we exist, in which case they won't trying to communicate. 4. Other intelligent life may exist, but lack the ability to send radio waves. Think of the dolphins. Many scientists believe they're as intelligent as humans. However, because of their physiology (no hands, opposing thumbs or other ability to manipulate objects) they're not able to create radio. If dolphins were the only intelligent life on earth and intelligent life were trying to find them via radio signals, they would not find them. A similar situation might exist with intelligent life on other planets. They're smart, but can't communicate with us. 5. What if intelligent beings were trying to radio us in the 18th century? We were here. We were smart, but we didn't know about radio back then. Wouldn't have worked. Maybe an advanced civilization exists somewhere that can learn and make tools, but they just haven't invented radio yet. 6. Maybe other life exists elsewhere, but it's not intelligent. If microbial life exists somewhere else, it won't be trying to contact us. 7. Maybe other highly intelligent life exists and has already figured out that we do, but it doesn't want anything to do with us for whatever reason and therefore won't make contact.

In short, there are a lot of scenarios where extraterrestrial life may exist, but we simply won't find out about it.
    With me men all over the world want to $#*&#$ me and then Q@#^&$Q me and then I do *^#&@(*W$&^ with them and they then get wild and %^&#$%$!%# and #!#$ and ^$##$%$.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by dmp View Post
    "Are We Alone In the Universe? New Analysis Says Maybe"
    What's "new" about that?

Did ANY previous analysis say, "Yes, we are definitely alone"?

Or did any say, "No, we definitely have living neighbors out there"?

I'd guess that EVERY "analysis" concluded MAYBE.

Every single one.

So why is this one being touted as something noteworthy?
    "The social contract exists so that everyone doesn’t have to squat in the dust holding a spear to protect his woman and his meat all day every day. It does not exist so that the government can take your spear, your meat, and your woman because it knows better what to do with them." - Instapundit.com

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    368 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Little-Acorn View Post
    What's "new" about that?

Did ANY previous analysis say, "Yes, we are definitely alone"?

Or did any say, "No, we definitely have living neighbors out there"?

I'd guess that EVERY "analysis" concluded MAYBE.

Every single one.

So why is this one being touted as something noteworthy?
    I'd say there is probably a lot of government funding (aka our tax dollars) at work behind this and whoever is being funded has to justify their expenditures. What better way than repainting the Studebaker and calling it "new"?

Or maybe the media didn't have much else to try and dazzle us with on that particular day. Even Obama has to take some time off from screwing up everything.
    “When bad men combine, the good must associate; else they will fall, one by one, an unpitied sacrifice in a contemptible struggle.” Edumnd Burke

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Gunny View Post
    I can go with the probably.

One can get pretty imaginative about what that life might be. I would say as important as your points are, the ability to communicate with us and we with them would also be a necessity.
    Yes, this would be very difficult, considering communication between people on this planet.

Ludwik Kowalski (see Wikipedia)

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by PostmodernProphet View Post
    Drake's Equation is faulty......the maximum number of planets that might support life rotating any particular star would be two, and then only if they were in totally synchronous bipolar orbit......in reality the likely number of such planets would be one or zero......

any mathematician can tell you the true result of any formula in which you multiply something by zero.......

by application of Drake's Equation, Earth does not exist........
    The Drake equation may be faulty and of course it proves nothing. But it is not faulty in the manner in which you claim.

The number of planets which might support life in any given star system could quite plausibly be more than two. Even within our own solar system there is more than two. A planet does not have to be orbiting it's host star at all in order to fall within the window of being capable of supporting life an example in our star system is Europa a moon of Jupiter. So far as we can tell so far it seems to have the conditions needed to support some form of life even if not intelligent. With the large number of moons and satellites orbiting gas giants the number of planets capable of supporting life increases dramatically.Jupiter itself is also a candidate for some form of life. In addition other planets could have supported life at one time had conditions on those planets been slightly different. Mars for example.

The Drake equation took all of this into account.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Missileman View Post
    I'm curious how you managed to formulate your thread title after reading that article. I'm even more curious why you felt compelled to so grossly mischaracterize the content of the article with your choice of words in the thread title.
    Perhaps if you followed the link to the story, you'd see it is not "My Title" but tis the title of the article?

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by -Cp View Post
    Perhaps if you followed the link to the story, you'd see it is not "My Title" but tis the title of the article?
    I actually followed the link embedded in the paragraph and assumed the link at the end went to the same place, so didn't look at that one. My bad.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Communication would be essential. But the distances of space make it extremely difficult to have any kind of contact, even if we just listen in on something. It could take hundreds or thousands of years for a simple sentence to reach either listener.

We are not going to be traveling to other star systems any time soon. They would have to come to us which I'm not comfortable with.
    We have explored space and not any violence has been thought of, or aggressive actions. Once a society attaina a level of intelligence to bridge solar systems, you would think they would be smart enough to not prefer violence.
    Plus, if they did reach us, it could be that it is particularly difficult and expensive, so using us as a colony wouldnt be productive for them.
    And even if they did come to conquer, yea, they might have superior technology, but their numbers would be limited and probably not that many of them.
    I DONT CLAIM TO KN0OW ANYTHING ABOUT HUMAN NATURE
    N
    OIR DO I KNOW ANYTHING ABOUT CRITICAL THINKING

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by LuvRPgrl View Post
    We have explored space and not any violence has been thought of, or aggressive actions. Once a society attaina a level of intelligence to bridge solar systems, you would think they would be smart enough to not prefer violence.
    Plus, if they did reach us, it could be that it is particularly difficult and expensive, so using us as a colony wouldnt be productive for them.
    And even if they did come to conquer, yea, they might have superior technology, but their numbers would be limited and probably not that many of them.
    A high level of intelligence does not guarantee a non violent society. An armada of ships is not likely, that would be impractical. A few ships or just one coming in peacefully would be the smart way to go. Then request a small area to set up a colony with trade offers. Any attempt at conquest would come much later after they were well establish.

And then again, what better way to unite the world under one govt than to have a threat from another world.
    When I die I'm sure to go to heaven, cause I spent my time in hell.

You get more with a kind word and a two by four, than you do with just a kind word.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    126 Post(s)

<object width="640" height="390"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/kGo1-EVrsx8&hl=en_US&feature=player_embedded&version=3" ></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/kGo1-EVrsx8&hl=en_US&feature=player_embedded&version=3" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always" width="640" height="390"></embed></object>

Don't Run We are your Friends!
    It is proper to take alarm at the first experiment on our liberties. The freeman of America did not wait till usurped power had strengthened itself by exercise, and entangled the question in precedents. James Madison
    Live as free people, yet without employing your freedom as a pretext for wickedness; but live at all times as servants of God.
    1 Peter 2:16

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by revelarts View Post
    <OBJECT width="640" height="390"><EMBED height=390 type=application/x-shockwave-flash width=640 src=http://www.youtube.com/v/kGo1-EVrsx8&hl=en_US&feature=player_embedded&version=3 allowScriptAccess="always" allowfullscreen="true"></EMBED></OBJECT>

Don't Run We are your Friends!
    thanks for remindding me of that, I loved that movie !
    I DONT CLAIM TO KN0OW ANYTHING ABOUT HUMAN NATURE
    N
    OIR DO I KNOW ANYTHING ABOUT CRITICAL THINKING

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by soupnazi630 View Post
    The Drake equation may be faulty and of course it proves nothing. But it is not faulty in the manner in which you claim.

The number of planets which might support life in any given star system could quite plausibly be more than two. Even within our own solar system there is more than two. A planet does not have to be orbiting it's host star at all in order to fall within the window of being capable of supporting life an example in our star system is Europa a moon of Jupiter. So far as we can tell so far it seems to have the conditions needed to support some form of life even if not intelligent. With the large number of moons and satellites orbiting gas giants the number of planets capable of supporting life increases dramatically.Jupiter itself is also a candidate for some form of life. In addition other planets could have supported life at one time had conditions on those planets been slightly different. Mars for example.

The Drake equation took all of this into account.
    ????.....uh, no......the fact that conditions on those planets ARE slightly different means they can't support life......no two planets in any solar system can be in that position where conditions aren't "slightly different" unless they chance to be in a completely synchronous bi-polar orbit......an unlikely rarity......

beyond that rarity, in any given solar system it may happen that ONE planet is in that unique position that life can be supported......or it may happen that none are.....
    ...full immersion.....