Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by dmp View Post
    Did you miss the BIG TEXT at the top of the article which reads:

"Are We Alone In the Universe? New Analysis Says Maybe"

(shrug).

Anything that points to the 'special-ness' of our Plant and the intricate and perfect DESIGN, really hurts folk who place their hopes on magic and random chance being the source of all life.

To think our biological systems just sorta happened, is honestly just as stupid to think coffee beans, milk, vanilla beans and water, if left in their containers will magically 'given millions of years' somehow form into a delicious vanilla non-fat latte.
    The link I followed from his post was: http://www.lifeslittlemysteries.com/...ronomers-1812/ which contradicts the title of the thread.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)

"Are We Alone In the Universe? New Analysis Says Maybe"
    What's "new" about that?

Did ANY previous analysis say, "Yes, we are definitely alone"?

Or did any say, "No, we definitely have living neighbors out there"?

I'd guess that EVERY "analysis" concluded MAYBE.

Every single one.

So why is this one being touted as something noteworthy?
    "The social contract exists so that everyone doesn’t have to squat in the dust holding a spear to protect his woman and his meat all day every day. It does not exist so that the government can take your spear, your meat, and your woman because it knows better what to do with them." - Instapundit.com

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    373 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Little-Acorn View Post
    What's "new" about that?

Did ANY previous analysis say, "Yes, we are definitely alone"?

Or did any say, "No, we definitely have living neighbors out there"?

I'd guess that EVERY "analysis" concluded MAYBE.

Every single one.

So why is this one being touted as something noteworthy?
    I'd say there is probably a lot of government funding (aka our tax dollars) at work behind this and whoever is being funded has to justify their expenditures. What better way than repainting the Studebaker and calling it "new"?

Or maybe the media didn't have much else to try and dazzle us with on that particular day. Even Obama has to take some time off from screwing up everything.
    “When bad men combine, the good must associate; else they will fall, one by one, an unpitied sacrifice in a contemptible struggle.” Edumnd Burke

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)

To think our biological systems just sorta happened, is honestly just as stupid to think coffee beans, milk, vanilla beans and water, if left in their containers will magically 'given millions of years' somehow form into a delicious vanilla non-fat latte.
    There are no delicious vanilla non-fat lattes. >:-O

Maybe life is out there, and we simply missed it.

Consider two factors: size and time.

SIZE

Is there a chance that the "life out there" is so small (compared to our own) among the vastness of the universe, that we are unlikely to see it even if we are looking right at it?

Brings to mind a cartoon (always a good reference ) on the subject that I once saw. Some guy is sitting at a table. On the floor beside him is a tiny space capsule the size of a pea, with a tiny door open on it. He's looking through a microscope, and a bunch of cells in the viewfinder are lining up to spell out the words, "Take us to your leader".

TIME

Some people say the Earth is maybe 4.5 billion years old, and the rest of the universe is much older. How long has Man existed on the planet? For that matter, how long has ANY "life as we know it" existed here, from single cells thru trilobites thru T-rexes thru man? Just a tiny fraction of the life of the planet. And if we start tossing nukes around or some other thing, that could all be gone in a thousand years or less.

"Life as we know it" has only existed HERE for a blink of an eye, in the history of the universe. Who's to say some other life form didn't develop or get created (insert your own favorite theory of origin here), half a universe-lifespan ago, grow, invent machines, spread through a galaxy or two, then goof and wipe themselves out like we might, all in their own relative blink of an eye, say ten billion years ago? Would there be ANY evidence of that left now? Even if there were, what are the chances of our finding it? We've been listening (and broadcasting) for less than a hundred years. And we've sent out what, a grand total of three spacecraft to exit our own SOLAR SYSTEM, and only in the last 20-30 years?

We have ZERO evidence that we are the only ones who are here, or have ever been. Course, there's zero evidence that we aren't, too. There's a very good chance that, if there was ever "life" in the universe, we (inevitably) missed it, and it's long gone now. If it ever existed.

What chances are there that, many billions of years in the future, other beings someplace will be saying the same thing... never knowing they are referring to US?
    Last edited by darin; 09-04-2011 at 01:29 PM.
    "The social contract exists so that everyone doesn’t have to squat in the dust holding a spear to protect his woman and his meat all day every day. It does not exist so that the government can take your spear, your meat, and your woman because it knows better what to do with them." - Instapundit.com

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    145 Post(s)

It's truly amazing to me that you think the idea that there is a wizard in the sky magically creating worlds and listening to our thoughts is better.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    373 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by pete311 View Post
    It's truly amazing to me that you think the idea that there is a wizard in the sky magically creating worlds and listening to our thoughts is better.
    What's even MORE amazing that you think the universe lust "happened" from nothing. There are plenty of God-hating, anti-religious threads on this board. Feel free to find one and keep that crap out of this thread that's remained relatively free of such bull$hit.
    “When bad men combine, the good must associate; else they will fall, one by one, an unpitied sacrifice in a contemptible struggle.” Edumnd Burke

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by pete311 View Post
    Well considering the last post was two days ago and this thread appears on the edge of death, I'lll have a go at it.
    ....Your option gives us a starting point, or at the least, a transition point. That creates limitations, whereas we who bow down to a greater power have no such limitations.
    ,,,,,You are inside a box, you need a method for non living, non organic material to somehow turn itself into self replicating autonamous organic, carebon based living material.BS
    ....And that living material has to one day advance to the point that it questions its own existence & can formulate either a BS idea of a "God" or a way for something to be created out of nothing, or at the least, transform into living organic organism(s).

.....If there is a God, YOU LOSE.

If there isnt a God, YOU LOSE cuz by your own idea, the organism has to "EVOVE" too a point that it questiosns it very creation. Since its impossible to prove that evolution DID IN FACT OCCUR, not just that it COULD'VE happened, & it's impossable for it to prove there is no God.Hence, your "being" will spend its eternity wondering "if there is a God. There will be no answer, therefor, you die and go into oblivion, nothingness. As we would also. But no harm no foul for both of us.
    ......On the other hand, if it turns out you are wrong, uh oh, better watch out....better not shout, guess who's cumming to dinner, tonight.
    I DONT CLAIM TO KN0OW ANYTHING ABOUT HUMAN NATURE
    N
    OIR DO I KNOW ANYTHING ABOUT CRITICAL THINKING

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    145 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Gunny View Post
    What's even MORE amazing that you think the universe lust "happened" from nothing. There are plenty of God-hating, anti-religious threads on this board. Feel free to find one and keep that crap out of this thread that's remained relatively free of such bull$hit.
    I guess we'll have to agree to disagree which is more amazing. An all powerful, but completely abstract being for which all we have are fantasies and bed time children stories for, or science which is making progress every year.

Quote Originally Posted by LuvRPgrl View Post
    Well considering the last post was two days ago and this thread appears on the edge of death, I'lll have a go at it.
    ....Your option gives us a starting point, or at the least, a transition point. That creates limitations, whereas we who bow down to a greater power have no such limitations.
    ,,,,,You are inside a box, you need a method for non living, non organic material to somehow turn itself into self replicating autonamous organic, carebon based living material.BS
    ....And that living material has to one day advance to the point that it questions its own existence & can formulate either a BS idea of a "God" or a way for something to be created out of nothing, or at the least, transform into living organic organism(s).

.....If there is a God, YOU LOSE.

If there isnt a God, YOU LOSE cuz by your own idea, the organism has to "EVOVE" too a point that it questiosns it very creation. Since its impossible to prove that evolution DID IN FACT OCCUR, not just that it COULD'VE happened, & it's impossable for it to prove there is no God.Hence, your "being" will spend its eternity wondering "if there is a God. There will be no answer, therefor, you die and go into oblivion, nothingness. As we would also. But no harm no foul for both of us.
    ......On the other hand, if it turns out you are wrong, uh oh, better watch out....better not shout, guess who's cumming to dinner, tonight.
    If god wants a brain dead slave that has to turn to a fear based logic of Pascal's Wager then I guess I do lose. I would hope god respects critical thinking. I would rather be in Pergatory with the Philosophers than a Heaven full of zombies.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Missileman View Post
    I'm curious how you managed to formulate your thread title after reading that article. I'm even more curious why you felt compelled to so grossly mischaracterize the content of the article with your choice of words in the thread title.
    Perhaps if you followed the link to the story, you'd see it is not "My Title" but tis the title of the article?

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by -Cp View Post
    Perhaps if you followed the link to the story, you'd see it is not "My Title" but tis the title of the article?
    I actually followed the link embedded in the paragraph and assumed the link at the end went to the same place, so didn't look at that one. My bad.