Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast
    Mentioned
    79 Post(s)

We must be alone, I mean look at how far our radio broadcasts have gone already, and no aliens have picked up our signals!

As an aside, we are currently searching for alien radio frequencies in single bands, this is ridiculously stupid as it would be an extremely ineffiecent and unsecured way for aliens to communicate. We do the same on earth; when we send data (be it emails, phone calls etc) we do not send on a single band. We break up the data into packets with a "key" that are then "unlocked" and reassembled when they get to the other user. That is what lead the theorectical physicist Kaku to say "We could be in the middle of an intergalactic conversation, and we wouldn't even know."
    If you also agree that an animals suffering should be avoided rather than encouraged, consider what steps you can take.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    373 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by LuvRPgrl View Post
    Not missing anything. My statement was that societies of advanced technology......;Im so sorry, but stone arrowheads does not qualify as advanced technology

I never said it was.

I'm stuck inside the box? hahha, thats hilarious. I destroy boxes. I know of no box I have not questioned, its in my DNA because of my most unusual upbrining. I question everything, my experience has alot of negative consequences, but thinking inside the box is not one of them.
    In fact, you are stuck inside the box if you say the infinite universe is not confined to the scientific laws of Man (which actually is an oxymoron, which is it? laws of man, or laws of science?)
    I say it may, or may not be. Is there any proof that there are laws of science that are not followed at any time or space of the universe.

You say MOST, but you dont back it up. Nazi thing is a red herring.

AND, I also dont think the universe is infinite. And one thing is for sure, its IMPOSSIBLE TO PROVE IT IS.
    You're missing the whole point. Of course arrows were advanced technology in their day.

So yeah, you're stuck inside a little box. You think the limitations of man's intellect NOW is all there is, and the most superior technology and that all the laws of that science apply to any-and-everything, universally.

Nazis aren't a red herring. Quit using phrases you don't understand. They were an example in response to YOUR post, and completely relevant and within the context of the discussion. Try again.
    “When bad men combine, the good must associate; else they will fall, one by one, an unpitied sacrifice in a contemptible struggle.” Edumnd Burke

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Noir View Post
    We must be alone, I mean look at how far our radio broadcasts have gone already, and no aliens have picked up our signals!

As an aside, we are currently searching for alien radio frequencies in single bands, this is ridiculously stupid as it would be an extremely ineffiecent and unsecured way for aliens to communicate. We do the same on earth; when we send data (be it emails, phone calls etc) we do not send on a single band. We break up the data into packets with a "key" that are then "unlocked" and reassembled when they get to the other user. That is what lead the theorectical physicist Kaku to say "We could be in the middle of an intergalactic conversation, and we wouldn't even know."
    When did Kuku live?
    Are you familiar with CDMA?
    I dont think I have the experise to question the worlds top scientists about the technique they are using. It would certainly surprise me if that many top scientists havent figured out what you are talking about,,,,Im not attacking what you said, just questioning.
    I DONT CLAIM TO KN0OW ANYTHING ABOUT HUMAN NATURE
    N
    OIR DO I KNOW ANYTHING ABOUT CRITICAL THINKING

Mentioned
    79 Post(s)

When did Kuku live?
    Are you familiar with CDMA?
    I dont think I have the experise to question the worlds top scientists about the technique they are using. It would certainly surprise me if that many top scientists havent figured out what you are talking about,,,,Im not attacking what you said, just questioning.
    He lives today, the co-founder of String Field theory he is still an active theoretical physicist.

I am, and as a form of communication it is a dead end. That is why it will be phased out especially in mobile communications as GSM expands to LTE and 4G in which CDMA can't efficiently compete.

And I'm sure we would like to view a broader spectrum but getting the equipment that *can* do it just isnt feasible ATM.

As an aside, not only are we searching single bands, but we are looking in the hydrogen and helium spectrum. Again this is the easiest for us to view, but the worst that could be used as a method of communication.
    If you also agree that an animals suffering should be avoided rather than encouraged, consider what steps you can take.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Missileman View Post
    I don't dislike you, I just have a hard time staying quiet when I read some of the ridiculous posts that issue from your keyboard. As for ass-kicking, I'd say you've see a few too many episodes of OCA. (Literally, of course)
    Yea, so true. My ridiculous posts, like when I accused the starter of a thread of incompetence when he titled the thread and of coming up with conclusions not consistent with the article,,,,,opppssss, oh shoot, that was....wait for it,,,,,,,YOU

He lives today, the co-founder of String Field theory he is still an active theoretical physicist.

I am, and as a form of communication it is a dead end. That is why it will be phased out especially in mobile communications as GSM expands to LTE and 4G in which CDMA can't efficiently compete.

And I'm sure we would like to view a broader spectrum but getting the equipment that *can* do it just isnt feasible ATM.

As an aside, not only are we searching single bands, but we are looking in the hydrogen and helium spectrum. Again this is the easiest for us to view, but the worst that could be used as a method of communication.
    If others were more advanced than us, I would think they MIGHT know about our limitations and try communicating in ways they know we ;would understand. Kinda like using sign language with someone who doesnt speak your language.

R U familiar with WiMAX?

OK, Im gonna start over on this cuz it is getting convoluted and going in circles.
    I say higher technological societies will PROBABLY be prone to being non violent.

I also have NEVER said anything is impossible, hence I have constructed no boxes whatsoever. When attempting to refute something I posted, quoting me would be more efficient than responding to something I NEVER said.

The idiot who posted the following used OLD US history BEFORE we advanced technologically, which actually proves my point, we went from a conquering violent society, to one of more peaceful intent.

He also said "BY DEFINITION" aliens would be different than us. THAT IS CONFINING ONESELF TO A BOX. I dont do that, I say aliens could or might not be like us. I DUNNO.

His statement about Vietnam is just as stupid as any other. Even peace seekers have to get violent at times, think Jesus and the turning of the tables at the temple.
    Violence being used as a defense, for ourselves or others, (Iraq invaded Kuwait, Taliban took control of Afghanastan, N viets were trying to take over S vietnam) is not proof that we would be violent if we found other life that wasnt threatening.

Soupface likes to claim "there is no evidence..." often, yet if evidence is provided, he claims it isnt credible, or he ignores it. He thinks just because he doesnt find the evidence credible, then it must not be.

I stand by my statement that the more technologically advanced societies of ours are exhibiting less aggresive (as opposed to defense violence) violence than ever before.

Quote Originally Posted by soupnazi630 View Post
    Ok the United states went to the moon.

The United states practiced massive slavery against people who had done no harm to us.

We also wiped out tens of thousands ( at a minimum ) of Native Americans.

We launched a pre-emptive war against Iraq and also waged war in Somalia and Bosnia where no one had done any harm to us.

Even during the moon landings we were at war in Vietnam and while personally I think that war was a just cause the fact is the enemy had done no harm to us

There is no evidence that advanced technology and brilliant scientific genius means benign, peaceful intent.

And of course you keep ignoring that ET's would by definition be radically different from us in every respect to include psychologically and emotionally. Destroying an indigenous species could be quite AMORAL and not the least bit aggressive to them.
    And Im the one who made the claim about more technological societies being.... So, Im the one who gets to decide what level of technology Im talking about, and not a relative scale. I was talking about scientists, mathmeticians and physicists who are working on technologies that, at the least, involve things we have learned about under a microscope, in a telescope of modern abilities,,(after 1960) or having to do with computers and electronics.

SORRY IF THIS GOT A LITTLE LENGTHY BUT SOME HERE ARE NOT DEBATING/DISCUSSING WITHIN THE SPIRIT THAT WOULD BE MOST EFFECTIVE IN THIS TYPE OF PLATFORM.
    THEY TRY TO PICK APART MEANINGLESS THINGS, ATTRIBUTE THINGS TO ANOTHER THAT THEY DIDNT SAY, ETC ETC, JUST SO THEY CAN "WIN", INSTEAD OF FINDING TRUTH, SOLUTIONS OR IDEAS.
    BECAUSE OF THAT, I HAD TO , TO AN EXTENT, PREPARE FOR THE STUPIDITY THAT WOULD COME FROM THEM BY CUTTING THEM OFF THE PASS, EX. TELESCOPES AFTER 1960, TECHNOLOGY INVOLVING MICROSCOPES, TELESCOPES, ETC. WHICH THOSE WISHING TO USE THIS FORUM IN ITS TRUE SPIRIT "KNOW EXACTLY WHAT IM TALKING ABOUT" AND ARE NOT GOING TO BRING IN STUPID ARGUEMENTS LIKE STONE ARROWHEADS ARE TECHNOLOGICALLY ADVANCED COMPARED TO THOSE STILL USING PRIMITIVE STICKS.
    N

Mentioned
    79 Post(s)

If others were more advanced than us, I would think they MIGHT know about our limitations and try communicating in ways they know we ;would understand. Kinda like using sign language with someone who doesnt speak your language.

R U familiar with WiMAX?
    And why would they want to? To what extent do you go to to commicate with bacteria? And if there is a hyper-advanced civilisation out their I'm sure we would be little more than bacteria to them, this is where I think a lil bit of human conceit comes into play assuming they want to go out of their way to communicate with us.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Yea, so true. My ridiculous posts, like when I accused the starter of a thread of incompetence when he titled the thread and of coming up with conclusions not consistent with the article,,,,,opppssss, oh shoot, that was....wait for it,,,,,,,YOU
    If you check out the OP and follow the embedded link, you can see why I raised the question.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

If it is old news why did you ask for it assuming you already knew it..
    I didnt ask for it. I was pointing out that the example of violence was from a time in our history that is now old. In fact, by using OLD examples proves you dont have much or anything at all in the way of NEW examples.

It proves you wrong..
    It only proves you are stupid, nothing else.

Higher technology and advanced science does not equal benign or peaceful intent as the my post proves...
    You proved nothing.

In addition rhetoric or a plaque about coming in peace does not mean that war has been left behind or aggression forgotten...
    but it is better than what the purpose of the invaders of America circa 15th century, were stating.

No I did not mean a minority of Ets would be mistreated by THEIR majority I meant what I said.....
    You cant even reference me accurately. I said, the MAJORITY mistreated by the MINORITY.

What I stated is that there is no evidence of such beings being peaceful and we should not assume they are and even our own history does not support your view...
    Yet I never claimed there is any evidence, and I didnt say we should assume anything. Please PROVIDE ONE QUOTE OF MINE THAT SAYS OTHERWISE.

Yes your view is limiting the possibilities by assumptions without evidence...
    AGAIN, QUOTE ME WHERE I STATED ANYTHING. If I say, more likely, or history shows, does not limit other possibilities.

Another species could well be peaceful but there is simply no reason to assume they will be. We need to be aware that any possibility exists...
    as I agree

BTW animals have no higher status they are still animals.
    according to whom?

Quote Originally Posted by Gunny View Post
    Both comments are completely relevant to YOUR posts.. I would have had no reason to make them otherwise..
    [QUOTE=Gunny;487808]So you are saying that if you make a comment on something, it PROVES there is relevance? R U infallable?

You are missing the entire point..
    Which is ????

An infinite universe is not confined to the scientific laws of Man.
    Never said it was. And I say you cant prove the universe is infinite. I think you would eventually hit a wall which would be the "end" of the universe4.

Your stuck inside a box saying that something infinite and undefined MUST fall within the scientific laws of Man. .
    Can you quote me where I said that?

And sorry, most scientists are as unscrupulous as it gets when it comes to life of any sort...
    Your statement, where is the proof?

Nazi's were just an example. Medical science DID benefit greatly from some of the Nazi experimentation. Doesn't make it ethical.
    EXACTLY !! Proves my point. Most scientists would use the experimental information for GOOD, while the Nazis, and other members of this board who will remain name Con less, would use it for evil or supporting a poliza state.

Pull over that flying saucer, we think you have been traveling while under the influence of rabid happiness.

If you check out the OP and follow the embedded link, you can see why I raised the question.
    So you are saying your stupidity of clicking the wrong link led to your ridiculous statement, and therefore it wasnt your fault, but CP's?

So silly of me, I mean, I actually clicked the link he intended for us, you know, the one in a paragraph all by itself, the one that was sitting all alone and completely conspicuous at the very end of the post, the last sentence where he basically said "here is the link"

MY BAD

He lives today, the co-founder of String Field theory he is still an active theoretical physicist

If so, then why do you opine that it is "ridiculously stupid?"
    N

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

So you are saying your stupidity of clicking the wrong link led to your ridiculous statement, and therefore it wasnt your fault, but CP's?

So silly of me, I mean, I actually clicked the link he intended for us, you know, the one in a paragraph all by itself, the one that was sitting all alone and completely conspicuous at the very end of the post, the last sentence where he basically said "here is the link"

MY BAD
    Since it was included as part of his OP, please explain how it was the wrong link.

Mentioned
    79 Post(s)

Just because we are doing the best we can do doesnt mean what we're doing isn't stupid.

Take a small analogy of a Forrest fire. What if all you have to put out the flames are water pistols? Does it matter how much you spend on water pistols? No. You could spend tens of millions on water pistols, you're just throwing your money away. Yes it's the best you can do, but it's stupid, and the more you spend on them, the more stupid you are.

Until we have the ability to make much broader frequency scans SETI are pissin their mo eh away.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

MY BAD
    I've no idea what your fucking problem is other than trying to distract from a couple of your lulus like "micro-evolution" and "thou shalt not kill".

http://www.debatepolicy.com/showthre...795#post484795

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Since it was included as part of his OP, please explain how it was the wrong link.
    Already did, apparently you missed as much of my post as you did the original post.

I've no idea what your fucking problem is other than trying to distract from a couple of your lulus like "micro-evolution" and "thou shalt not kill".

http://www.debatepolicy.com/showthre...795#post484795
    So you link me back to your own mistake?? Idiot.

Just because we are doing the best we can do doesnt mean what we're doing isn't stupid.

Take a small analogy of a Forrest fire. What if all you have to put out the flames are water pistols? Does it matter how much you spend on water pistols? No. You could spend tens of millions on water pistols, you're just throwing your money away. Yes it's the best you can do, but it's stupid, and the more you spend on them, the more stupid you are.

Until we have the ability to make much broader frequency scans SETI are pissin their mo eh away.
    If an agency receives $250,000 for their budget, and they dont spend all of it, then the amount they receive the following year will be reduced.
    N

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Already did, apparently you missed as much of my post as you did the original post.

So you link me back to your own mistake?? Idiot.
    I admitted it weeks ago...so what? The problem for you is my mistake pales in comparison to the absolutely STUPID shit that you post.

If an agency receives $250,000 for their budget, and they dont spend all of it, then the amount they receive the following year will be reduced.
    Unless of course their budget is increased...idiot!

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    373 Post(s)

[QUOTE=LuvRPgrl;490320]I didnt ask for it. I was pointing out that the example of violence was from a time in our history that is now old. In fact, by using OLD examples proves you dont have much or anything at all in the way of NEW examples.

It only proves you are stupid, nothing else.

You proved nothing.

but it is better than what the purpose of the invaders of America circa 15th century, were stating.

You cant even reference me accurately. I said, the MAJORITY mistreated by the MINORITY.

Yet I never claimed there is any evidence, and I didnt say we should assume anything. Please PROVIDE ONE QUOTE OF MINE THAT SAYS OTHERWISE.

AGAIN, QUOTE ME WHERE I STATED ANYTHING. If I say, more likely, or history shows, does not limit other possibilities.

as I agree

according to whom?

So you are saying that if you make a comment on something, it PROVES there is relevance? R U infallable?

Which is ????

Never said it was. And I say you cant prove the universe is infinite. I think you would eventually hit a wall which would be the "end" of the universe4.

. Can you quote me where I said that?

Your statement, where is the proof?

EXACTLY !! Proves my point. Most scientists would use the experimental information for GOOD, while the Nazis, and other members of this board who will remain name Con less, would use it for evil or supporting a poliza state.

Pull over that flying saucer, we think you have been traveling while under the influence of rabid happiness.

MY BAD

You really ought to consider addressing individuals as individuals. I'm not reading through all this slop.

Suffice to say we disagree. Your thinking is too limited for an abstract discussion such as this one. I've run out of ways to say it, but this thread started out cool and has become something else.

Ciao.
    “When bad men combine, the good must associate; else they will fall, one by one, an unpitied sacrifice in a contemptible struggle.” Edumnd Burke

Mentioned
    79 Post(s)

I see what you mean, and thus how 'wasting money' by SETI is a necessary evil, as it'll be easier to mintain their budget rather than doin what is actually better and having it cur now and raised later.