Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    139 Post(s)

Default Reasons Today’s Kids Are Bored At School, Feel Entitled, Have Little Patience

This should be mandatory training during every birth.

http://deeprootsathome.com/kids-bored-entitled/

Reasons Today’s Kids Are Bored At School, Feel Entitled, Have Little Patience & Few Real Friends

2. Kids get Everything The Moment They Want It

“I am Hungry!!” “In a sec I will stop at the drive thru” “I am Thirsty!” “Here is a vending machine.” “I am bored!” “Use my phone!” The ability to delay gratification is one of the key factors for future success. We have the best intentions — to make our children happy — but unfortunately, we make them happy at the moment but miserable in the long term. To be able to delay gratification means to be able to function under stress. Our children are gradually becoming less equipped to deal with even minor stressors, which eventually become huge obstacles to their success in life.

The inability to delay gratification is often seen in classrooms, malls, restaurants, and toy stores the moment the child hears “No” because parents have taught their child’s brain to get what it wants right away.
    3. Kids Rule The World

“My son doesn’t like vegetables.” “She doesn’t like going to bed early.” “He doesn’t like to eat breakfast.” “She doesn’t like toys, but she is very good at her iPad” “He doesn’t want to get dressed on his own.” “She is too lazy to eat on her own.” This is what I hear from parents all the time. Since when do children dictate to us how to parent them? If we leave it all up to them, all they are going to do is eat macaroni and cheese and bagels with cream cheese, watch TV, play on their tablets, and never go to bed. What good are we doing them by giving them what they WANT when we know that it is not GOOD for them? Without proper nutrition and a good night’s sleep, our kids come to school irritable, anxious, and inattentive. In addition, we send them the wrong message. They learn they can do what they want and not do what they don’t want. The concept of “need to do” is absent. Unfortunately, in order to achieve our goals in our lives, we have to do what’s necessary, which may not always be what we want to do. For example, if a child wants to be an A student, he needs to study hard. If he wants to be a successful soccer player, he needs to practice every day. Our children know very well what they want, but have a very hard time doing what is necessary to achieve that goal. This results in unattainable goals and leaves the kids disappointed.
    4. Endless Fun

We have created an artificial fun world for our children. There are no dull moments. The moment it becomes quiet, we run to entertain them again, because otherwise, we feel that we are not doing our parenting duty. We live in two separate worlds. They have their “fun“ world, and we have our “work” world. Why aren’t children helping us in the kitchen or with laundry? Why don’t they tidy up their toys? This is basic monotonous work that trains the brain to be workable and function under “boredom,” which is the same “muscle” that is required to be eventually teachable at school. When they come to school and it is time for handwriting their answer is “I can’t. It is too hard. Too boring.” Why? Because the workable “muscle” is not getting trained through endless fun. It gets trained through work.

2. Thanks Abbey Marie, Gunny thanked this post
    Likes High_Plains_Drifter liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    38 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by darin View Post
    This should be mandatory training during every birth.

http://deeprootsathome.com/kids-bored-entitled/

Reasons Today’s Kids Are Bored At School, Feel Entitled, Have Little Patience & Few Real Friends
    Great article... I'm sending that to my son who has a 6 year old.

4. Thanks darin thanked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    145 Post(s)

My wife is a Montessori teacher and it's opened my eyes to how terrible our current system is of making kids sit quietly in chairs for 8 hours all working on the same thing. It goes against their biology.

6. Thanks Tyr-Ziu Saxnot thanked this post
    Likes Tyr-Ziu Saxnot liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    514 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by pete311 View Post
    My wife is a Montessori teacher and it's opened my eyes to how terrible our current system is of making kids sit quietly in chairs for 8 hours all working on the same thing. It goes against their biology.
    My son went to Montessori, and it was WELL worth the money. Public schools seem to suck anymore, and the teacher to kids ratio was nice at Montessori, and they seemed more interested in teaching the kids as opposed to being baby sitters and just passing everyone along to the next grade.
    “You know the world is going crazy when the best rapper is a white guy, the best golfer is a black guy, the tallest guy in the NBA is Chinese, the Swiss hold the America's Cup, France is accusing the U.S. of arrogance, Germany doesn't want to go to war, and the three most powerful men in America are named "Bush", "Dick", and "Colin." Need I say more?” - Chris Rock

8. Thanks Black Diamond, Tyr-Ziu Saxnot thanked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    181 Post(s)

Yet this very system has for decades upon decades turned out capable adults and even folks who excel in difficult fields of study.

I would agree that our current city public schools are not doing well, but for that I blame the inattentive parents who don't instill a value for education or the need to respect any authority.
    After the game, the king and the pawn go into the same box - Author unknown

“Unfortunately, the truth is now whatever the media say it is”
    -Abbey

10. Likes Tyr-Ziu Saxnot liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    145 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Abbey View Post
    Yet this very system has for decades upon decades turned out capable adults and even folks who excel in difficult fields of study.

I would agree that our current city public schools are not doing well, but for that I blame the inattentive parents who don't instill a value for education or the need to respect any authority.
    Parents are a big part no doubt. Many expect the school to do everything. However school pedagogy philosophy is outdated and ineffective. College entrance for high school graduates is okay at 66% but there is still a 50% drop out rate. So yeah, we have the population numbers where many will excel, but there are far more that don't reach their potential. oh and my wife has worked for private schools that should be shut down. Private is not synonymous for quality.
    Last edited by pete311; 10-27-2017 at 09:54 AM.

12. Thanks Tyr-Ziu Saxnot thanked this post
    Likes Tyr-Ziu Saxnot liked this post
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    139 Post(s)

I'm with Abbey - the root of the problem is bad parenting.

14. Likes Abbey Marie liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    38 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by darin View Post
    I'm with Abbey - the root of the problem is bad parenting.
    And I'm with Abbey and Darin.

Laziness, arrogance, petulance, etc, are all things that kids learn from their parents.

16. Thanks Abbey Marie thanked this post
    Likes Abbey Marie liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    145 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by High_Plains_Drifter View Post
    And I'm with Abbey and Darin.

Laziness, arrogance, petulance, etc, are all things that kids learn from their parents.
    Both my parents are type A and successful. They did all they could. I was a solid C student who barely did homework. It worked for me in the end but I could easily be working at Burger King.

Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    139 Post(s)

Both my parents are type A and successful. They did all they could. I was a solid C student who barely did homework. It worked for me in the end but I could easily be working at Burger King.
    Did they instill self-discipline? School grades aren't a good metric to being a good, solid adult.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    38 Post(s)

My parents were good, salt of the earth, old school, hard working, didn't hang out in bars, both college educated, strict people, and I was a horrible student in high school even under that roof, even flunked one semester of English, I just hated it. But the school said they'd sign my diploma if I could take "any" college extension class and finish it before graduation. So I took "Auto Engine Mechanics," a 12 week course in 4 weeks and got an A-, they signed my diploma and I graduated. I went through college taking Electrical Engineering and graduated on the high honor roll with a 3.85 GPA. I also took Harley Davidson Technician at Motorcycle Mechanics Institute in north Phoenix and got every award the school gives out including perfect attendance for the entire school of 15 months, 5 days a week, 6 hours a day.

That's why I'm of the persuasion that someone can appear to be a slacker, flunkard, even a failure at some things, but that doesn't mean they're stupid. It just means that they're not interested in it and aren't applying themselves, so I believe in trade schools. Colleges have their place, but I think many would be better off if they went to a trade school where they weren't forced to take classes that have nothing to do with a trade. I mean why would a welder or an electrician need to take a Interpersonal Relationships class?
    Last edited by High_Plains_Drifter; 10-30-2017 at 08:13 AM.

20. Thanks Kathianne, Abbey Marie thanked this post
    Likes Abbey Marie liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    204 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by High_Plains_Drifter View Post
    My parents were good, salt of the earth, old school, hard working, didn't hang out in bars, both college educated, strict people, and I was a horrible student in high school even under that roof, even flunked one semester of English, I just hated it. But the school said they'd sign my diploma if I could take "any" college extension class and finish it before graduation. So I took "Auto Engine Mechanics," a 12 week course in 4 weeks and got an A-, they signed my diploma and I graduated. I went through college taking Electrical Engineering and graduated on the high honor roll with a 3.85 GPA. I also took Harley Davidson Technician at Motorcycle Mechanics Institute in north Phoenix and got every award the school gives out including perfect attendance for the entire school of 15 months, 5 days a week, 6 hours a day.

That's why I'm of the persuasion that someone can appear to be a slacker, flunkard, even a failure at some things, but that doesn't mean they're stupid. It just means that they're not interested in it and aren't applying themselves, so I believe in trade schools. Colleges have their place, but I think many would be better off if they went to a trade school where they weren't forced to take classes that have nothing to do with a trade. I mean why would a welder or an electrician need to take a Interpersonal Relationships class?
    I totally agree.

"The government is a child that has found their parents credit card, and spends knowing that they never have to reconcile the bill with their own money"-Shannon Churchill

22. Thanks High_Plains_Drifter thanked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    181 Post(s)

Yeah, see it doesn't always work that way. My dad was a tech high school student with I'd say below-average intellect. My mom dropped out of school at 15 to earn some money for her family.

But- we had strict discipline at home, and my mom taught me to read before kindergarten started. Thereby instilling both a leg up at school, and a love of reading that endures to this day. Plus, they both worked hard.

-Abbey

24. Thanks High_Plains_Drifter thanked this post
    Likes High_Plains_Drifter liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    145 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Abbey View Post
    Yeah, see it doesn't always work that way. My dad was a tech high school student with I'd say below-average intellect. My mom dropped out of school at 15 to earn money some for her family.

But- we had strict discipline at home, and my mom taught me to read before kindergarten started. Thereby instilling both a leg up at school, and a love of reading that endures to this day. Plus, they both worked hard.
    I had plenty of books as a kid. Shows life has millions of factors and situations are always different.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    181 Post(s)

I had plenty of books as a kid. Shows life has millions of factors and situations are always different.
    I suppose. And I can't speak for you. But I will say it's not the books- it's the attitudes and examples and discipline etc., of the parents that matter. The schools are in a tizzy to make sure each kid gets a computer. Sometimes even a notebook to take home. Same crappy scores nonetheless.

-Abbey