Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default I was a Depressed Child.....how bout you?

What kind of kid were you, how does your family describe you were as a child when telling about you to "outsiders" of the family?

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

My family says I was so quiet at times they wondered where I was, when I got a little older they said I was funny.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    204 Post(s)

I was the problem child. Had to have my way and my brother would go along with me, it helped that he was 18 months younger than me. We always had 'chores.' One of which was to wash, dry, and put away the dishes. I hated washing, the rule was 'every other night.' I found that by threatening to throw up when putting my hands in the water, he'd wash. Needless to say, that worked.

When he was 7 and I turning 9, we went to Sear's with my mom. There were these really cute ear muffs, powder blue. I wanted them, my mom said, 'We'll see.' I threw a fit. She tried to calm me down, then we left without buying anything. A couple weeks later, I went into one of my desk drawers, and there were the earmuffs! I ran and hugged my mom! My brother and dad went to Sear's that night and returned the earmuffs. The security guard explained that while he was too little to go to jail, my dad could, as he was responsible. I think that's when law enforcement became part of his life!

"The government is a child that has found their parents credit card, and spends knowing that they never have to reconcile the bill with their own money"-Shannon Churchill

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    88 Post(s)

Well....got my face slapped a few times for being "smart-mouthed". My siblings would say I was a bitch ... was the oldest of seven and always had to take care of everyone else. Parents were alcoholics so I had to be the parent. Teachers and school chums would probably describe me as shy, smart and responsible.

It wasn't until I was in my 40's that I was diagnosed as clinically depressed, with PTSD and hyper-vigilant ... from being sexually and physically abused as a kid. Once I discovered Ambien things really changed; able to get a good night's sleep, and symptoms are minimum.
    If the freedom of speech is taken away
    then dumb and silent we may be led,
    like sheep to the slaughter.

George Washington (1732-1799) First President of the USA.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    181 Post(s)

I think my parents would be hard-pressed to describe me as a child. They didn't seem very interested.
    I was the baby- two older brothers.
    Shy. Read a lot; spent a ton of my time at the local library (Sir Evil is right again!)
    Catholic schools 3rd-12th grades. Failed penmanship in 3rd grade.
    Grew up in the projects in the Bronx, so going out to play was always a little scary. Between that, and the Hispanics always sexually taunting, I learned to be practically invisible.
    One parent was physically ( NOT sexually, thank God) abusive to all three of us. (Proud to say that when I became a mom, I broke the abuse cycle).

I guess that doesn't sound like much fun, but we did play lots of games together, and I learned to be street-wise; a valuable talent.
    After the game, the king and the pawn go into the same box - Author unknown

“Unfortunately, the truth is now whatever the media say it is”
    -Abbey

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Kathianne View Post
    I was the problem child. Had to have my way and my brother would go along with me, it helped that he was 18 months younger than me. We always had 'chores.' One of which was to wash, dry, and put away the dishes. I hated washing, the rule was 'every other night.' I found that by threatening to throw up when putting my hands in the water, he'd wash. Needless to say, that worked.

When he was 7 and I turning 9, we went to Sear's with my mom. There were these really cute ear muffs, powder blue. I wanted them, my mom said, 'We'll see.' I threw a fit. She tried to calm me down, then we left without buying anything. A couple weeks later, I went into one of my desk drawers, and there were the earmuffs! I ran and hugged my mom! My brother and dad went to Sear's that night and returned the earmuffs. The security guard explained that while he was too little to go to jail, my dad could, as he was responsible. I think that's when law enforcement became part of his life!

OHHH I loved your memory, it made me crackup, I was thin king about how when my kids were little I used to read them a story called , "mama, do you love me?" and in it the little girl was a nonny and she liked to imagine doing mischievious things and then would ask her mom if she did this or that would she still love her I think it reminded me of the story because the little girl wore earmuffs as she was from alaska.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by SassyLady View Post
    Well....got my face slapped a few times for being "smart-mouthed". My siblings would say I was a bitch ... was the oldest of seven and always had to take care of everyone else. Parents were alcoholics so I had to be the parent. Teachers and school chums would probably describe me as shy, smart and responsible.

It wasn't until I was in my 40's that I was diagnosed as clinically depressed, with PTSD and hyper-vigilant ... from being sexually and physically abused as a kid. Once I discovered Ambien things really changed; able to get a good night's sleep, and symptoms are minimum.
    Our childhoods were similiar, only I am the baby in my family and i was very quiet I blended in, I was pretty obediant as a child. My sister was the lippy one in our family.

Did you family make white rice with milk melted butter and sugar for dinner? When I was little my best friend came from a family of 7 and thats what they had constantly for dinner LOL>

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    204 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by chloe View Post
    OHHH I loved your memory, it made me crackup, I was thin king about how when my kids were little I used to read them a story called , "mama, do you love me?" and in it the little girl was a nonny and she liked to imagine doing mischievious things and then would ask her mom if she did this or that would she still love her I think it reminded me of the story because the little girl wore earmuffs as she was from alaska.
    While I was a brat at home, not to mention pretty manipulative with my brother and dad, I was very quiet outside of there. In fact at school was a selective mute. Really. Like Abbey I was very much into reading, much more than television. The only shows I have some real recollection of was The Man From UNCLE and Dark Shadows; Laugh In when a bit older, then Saturday Night Live. Other than those? Not too much.

I had one good friend from the time I was 3, we're still BFF's.

"The government is a child that has found their parents credit card, and spends knowing that they never have to reconcile the bill with their own money"-Shannon Churchill

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default Well SHY girl.....

Quote Originally Posted by Abbey View Post
    I think my parents would be hard-pressed to describe me as a child at all. They didn't seem very interested.
    I was the baby- two older brothers.
    Shy. Read a lot; spent a ton of my time at the local library (Sir Evil is right again!)
    Catholic schools 3rd-12th grades. Failed penmanship in 3rd grade.
    Grew up in the projects in the Bronx, so going out to play was always a little scary. Between that, and the Hispanics always sexually taunting, I learned to be practically invisible.
    One parent was physically abusive to all three of us. Regularly. (Proud to say that when I became a mom, I broke the abuse cycle).

I guess that doesn't sound like much fun, but we did play lots of games together, and I learned to be street-wise; a valuable talent.
    I would never have thought you grew up in the rought neighborhoods, you seem so Poised, full of grace and gentle.

I was shy as a kid too, introverted and in my own world of daydreams (some things never change eh?)

That's so neat how you ovecame great obstacles and broke the family cycle of abuse.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I was the kid that at best was forgotten about, and at worst was picked on, until I joined the National Guard and turned into a man who knew that I didn't have to take shit off of anyone. My life truly sucked until that decision. I sometimes wonder where I would be if I had told my recruiter no thanks.

Of course the bullying shaped my entire life. I joined the military and found that I liked , no make that LOVE to be the person who finds someone who is bullying another and slaps the shit out of them just to see how they like it.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ConHog View Post
    I was the kid that at best was forgotten about, and at worst was picked on, until I joined the National Guard and turned into a man who knew that I didn't have to take shit off of anyone. My life truly sucked until that decision. I sometimes wonder where I would be if I had told my recruiter no thanks.

Of course the bullying shaped my entire life. I joined the military and found that I liked , no make that LOVE to be the person who finds someone who is bullying another and slaps the shit out of them just to see how they like it.
    My oldest kid was bullied and as a mom its heart wrenching I felt so powerless because I worked as a single mom and couldnt always be there when she went through horrible taunting and ridicule.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

I don't know how my family would have describe me as a child. Now they say I'm smart and funny. My mother was over-protective, so I was a bit of a recluse-- spent my time playing with legos, taking stuff apart and reading non-fiction (mostly encyclopedias). I got picked on a lot by older kids, mostly for using big words.(Something I still get teased for) As a result, I became shy and introverted. I think I found humor allowed me to avoid confrontation. It worked for the most part, as I was 30 years old before I got into a fight. (If you could call getting jumped while I was dragging my friend, drunk and talking shit, to the car a fight) Interestingly, my mother had no problem with me hanging out girls, so I spent most of my time doing that. In high school, I had quite a few friends with benefits, but only two girlfriends. Not surprisingly, I rejected all that when I went away to college, joined a fraternity, partied hard and flunked out, (3 times from two colleges). Luckily, fate would smile upon me and I would meet my wife, who would give inspiration and purpose. I'm still trying to figure out what I give her, other than three beautiful kids, which she gets most of the credit for. Anyhow, I'm glad people come forth to share their stories here; I think everybody has those not so great aspects of their life, it's what drives us to be better.
    He who learns must suffer. And even in our sleep pain that cannot forget falls drop by drop upon the heart, and in our own despair, against our will, comes wisdom to us by the awful grace of God.AeschylusRead more at http://www.brainyquote.com/quotes/qu...zeMUwcpY1Io.99

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    54 Post(s)

I was really shy and quiet up until 9th grade or so. I pretty much had to be. I was everything that was unpopular in high school -- short, plain, flat chested and nerdy. My two best friends pulled me out of it. They were both extroverted and wanted to make the most of high school. So I went way over to the other side and became a wild party girl for a while. That wasn't me either.
    I was a bipolar kid who didn't realize it until it beat me over the head and knocked me down in college.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by gabosaurus View Post
    I was really shy and quiet up until 9th grade or so. I pretty much had to be. I was everything that was unpopular in high school -- short, plain, flat chested and nerdy. My two best friends pulled me out of it. They were both extroverted and wanted to make the most of high school. So I went way over to the other side and became a wild party girl for a while. That wasn't me either.
    I was a bipolar kid who didn't realize it until it beat me over the head and knocked me down in college.
    You did real well for yourself and overcame alot.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by gabosaurus View Post
    Short, plain, nerdy, AND flat chested? RAWR.