Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)

Just finished Team of Rivals, the biography of Lincoln that was the partial basis of the recent movie. It was excellent. It approaches the Lincoln presidency from an interesting perspective, exploring the relationships that made his Cabinet work. The author depicts a much more politically savvy manager than is often the case with Lincoln biographers. Also hit the local library and borrowed a James Patterson. I am trying to catch up on his Alex Cross novels.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)

BTW, my library also has electronic borrowing so I can load stuff on my Nook for my train ride reading. Double win. Patronize and support your local public library - one of the nation's great resources.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Is anyone else getting addicted to audiobooks? Amazon bought Audible and they have an ever-increasing catalog of books read by professional readers or performers. I'm listening to "I Am Not a Serial Killer," a young adult boy's book, and a course on science fiction, and Candide to go to sleep by and I want to listen to next "Defending Jacob," a novel by Landay about a father and attorney whose son keeps getting accused of being a mass murderer or serial killer and he keeps believing he isn't and defending him.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    126 Post(s)

Love Audio Books,
    I get a lot more "reading" done by them.
    Just Re-listen to
    "do as I say" not as i do
    http://www.audible.com/pd/ref=sr_1_1...8697309&sr=1-1

an audio sample is there as well.
    It's a GREAT expose of Left leaders hypocrisy. I wish there was sequel for the right. But the 1st chapter makes some great point even before getting into the meat.
    Publisher's Summary

Members of the liberal/left exude an air of moral certitude. They pride themselves on being committed and selfless and seem particularly confident of the purity of their motives and the evil nature of their opponents. To correct economic and social injustice, liberals support a whole litany of policies and principles: progressive taxes, affirmative action, greater regulation of corporations, raising the inheritance tax, strict environmental regulations, children's rights, consumer rights, and more.But do they actually live by these beliefs? Peter Schweizer decided to investigate in depth the private lives of prominent liberals. What he found was a long list of contradictions.
    Schweizer's conclusion is simple: liberalism in the end forces its adherents to become hypocrites. They adopt one pose in public, but when it comes to what matters most in their own lives, they jettison their liberal principles and adopt conservative ones. Schweizer's book thus exposes the contradiction at the core of liberalism: If these ideas don't work for the very individuals who promote them, how can they work for the country?
    ©2005 Peter Schweizer; (P)2005 Random House, Inc.

What the Critics Say

"An entertaining exposure of the hypocrisy among some prominent liberals....Schweizer reveals that the most vocal liberals do not practice what they preach." (The Weekly Standard)
    Last edited by revelarts; 01-20-2013 at 11:00 AM.
    It is proper to take alarm at the first experiment on our liberties. The freeman of America did not wait till usurped power had strengthened itself by exercise, and entangled the question in precedents. James Madison
    Live as free people, yet without employing your freedom as a pretext for wickedness; but live at all times as servants of God.
    1 Peter 2:16

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by mundame View Post
    Ishi! I remember the cover of that book well because my stepmother was always trying to get me to read it. But I never did; don't know what it's about.

I'm reading "Citizens," by Schama, a history of the French Revolution that came out in the bicentennial year. (1789--1989) I'm making a whole study of the French Revolution, and it's verrrrrrrrry instructive about things going on now here. They guillotined well over 10,000 people, catching the heads in large wicker baskets day after day. Once mob terror starts, it takes an effective strongman dictator (Napoleon) to stop it.

I want to read the new novel "Pure" as soon as I get up to Bastille Day in the histories -- it's about a young engineer who comes to Paris before the Revolution, hired to move all the thousands of corpses from the cemetery of Les Innocents, where they had grossly polluted the whole area, to a seriously disgusting point that had to be dealt with. He did that and dumped them into a gravel quarry where they still are, a tourist attraction today. He gets caught up in the Revolution, of course, that's the relevance. And getting rid of the old, polluting bodies is a metaphor or symbol for the French getting rid of the Old Regime and ushering in modernity.
    Ishi in two worlds.
    The life and death of a California Indian tribe and the story of Ishi, its last survivor, who emerged from the stone age into the modern world in 1911. True story and vastly interesting , at least it was to me..-Tyr
    18 U.S. Code § 2381-Treason Whoever, owing allegiance to the United States, levies war against them or adheres to their enemies, giving them aid and comfort within the United States or elsewhere, is guilty of treason and shall suffer death, or shall be imprisoned not less than five years and fined under this title but not less than $10,000; and shall be incapable of holding any office under the United States.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Tyr-Ziu Saxnot View Post
    Ishi in two worlds.
    The life and death of a California Indian tribe and the story of Ishi, its last survivor, who emerged from the stone age into the modern world in 1911. True story and vastly interesting , at least it was to me..-Tyr
    Yes, that was the very one. She had that book for decades.

Revelarts cited: But do they actually live by these beliefs? Peter Schweizer decided to investigate in depth the private lives of prominent liberals. What he found was a long list of contradictions.
    Schweizer's conclusion is simple: liberalism in the end forces its adherents to become hypocrites. They adopt one pose in public, but when it comes to what matters most in their own lives, they jettison their liberal principles and adopt conservative ones.
    There is a whole lot of truth in this. I have often noticed this in some relatives of mine who are great liberals, they say, but they move to a better and better neighborhood, send their children to the best private schools and colleges; they aren't willing to live as small-d democrats, whatever they profess to believe. This worries me, somehow.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I'm rereading "The Wheel of Time"
    Since the new one is coming out soon... Or already is. Idk, I just know that when I finally go back home dad'll let me borrow it.

I'm also finishing up "The rose of the profit" and "The malazan book of the fallen."

Know what I hate about kindles? The power dies. Give me a good book any day and you won't see me till i finish it. (Friends are worried, oh well, i love my books)

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by cadet View Post
    I'm rereading "The Wheel of Time"
    Since the new one is coming out soon... Or already is. Idk, I just know that when I finally go back home dad'll let me borrow it.

I'm also finishing up "The rose of the profit" and "The malazan book of the fallen."

Know what I hate about kindles? The power dies. Give me a good book any day and you won't see me till i finish it. (Friends are worried, oh well, i love my books)
    You must love your books, you are reading several at once.

I do that too; I try to keep it under control, but now that I can read codices, ebooks, and audiobooks, it's hopeless.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)

Yes, that was the very one. She had that book for decades.

There is a whole lot of truth in this. I have often noticed this in some relatives of mine who are great liberals, they say, but they move to a better and better neighborhood, send their children to the best private schools and colleges; they aren't willing to live as small-d democrats, whatever they profess to believe. This worries me, somehow.
    ^^^ We that cite that hypocrisy by liberals are condemn as loons, reprobates, liars, dumbasses and violent soon to be terrorists. The book likely points out that contradiction in morality as well.
    18 U.S. Code § 2381-Treason Whoever, owing allegiance to the United States, levies war against them or adheres to their enemies, giving them aid and comfort within the United States or elsewhere, is guilty of treason and shall suffer death, or shall be imprisoned not less than five years and fined under this title but not less than $10,000; and shall be incapable of holding any office under the United States.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

You must love your books, you are reading several at once.

I do that too; I try to keep it under control, but now that I can read codices, ebooks, and audiobooks, it's hopeless.
    I REALLY try not to read so many at once, but they're so good...

Only issue i have when i read so often is that I don't pronounce some words correctly. Seeing as I've only read and never heard quite a few, and when i use them people look at me funny, either for not understanding, or for pronouncing wrong.

Idk about all of you, but when i read i blank out the rest of the world, and feel as if i'm living my story. And then it takes quite a bit to get me out of it.
    Not like Nukeman, he has to have total silence to read anything.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    204 Post(s)

I REALLY try not to read so many at once, but they're so good...

Only issue i have when i read so often is that I don't pronounce some words correctly. Seeing as I've only read and never heard quite a few, and when i use them people look at me funny, either for not understanding, or for pronouncing wrong.

Idk about all of you, but when i read i blank out the rest of the world, and feel as if i'm living my story. And then it takes quite a bit to get me out of it.
    Not like Nukeman, he has to have total silence to read anything.
    I hear you. I'm able to read while kids are in groups arguing any number of topics. Every 5 minutes I get up to see what they are writing down, not just verbalizing. During tests, read while checking for cheating, not as easy as in 'old days' as have to watch for eyes going for crotch or desk checking smartphones. That is an ongoing task, accomplished by reading a paragraph or two long sentences, scanning, getting up to walk around, then resuming reading. LOL! I've finished some big tomes in a matter of days.

"The government is a child that has found their parents credit card, and spends knowing that they never have to reconcile the bill with their own money"-Shannon Churchill

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

I have the dictionary.com app on my iPad and it's a pronouncing dictionary! Knowing a lot of words you have never heard pronounced is the curse of the highly literate. This dictionary pronounces ALL their words by just touching the icon for it, and includes many, many names (like Frenchies from their Revolution and other historical figures with names one doesn't know how to say) and even some foreign words.

And nooooooooobody tells me "that's not how you say it" anymore because I whip out that iPad and say, "Let's look it up!"
    Last edited by mundame; 01-20-2013 at 11:01 PM.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

I envy you.........I have always skimmed, since a small child, I read way too fast. And I read for plot! What is happening. I think I don't have the visual or auditory imagination to get into it deeply, or perhaps it's just long-term bad habits.

So I read the same books many times over the decades, the good ones. Nowadays I'm trying to slow myself down the first time. The audiobooks show how incredibly much potential there is in books, more than "what happens." I read the Count of Monte Cristo in very large type last year to force myself to read slowly --- first time I have ever really understood it!!

If you feel like you are living the story, that's a description of how I wish I read.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    204 Post(s)

I'm with Cadet, I read the characters. Books can make me LOL and cry. Sometimes at embarrassing moments. One of the benefits of being deaf, it's very easy to avoid outside, just not look. If I keep my eyes on page, nothing else unless a 'boom' will lift my eyes. I've trained myself to scan a room of students as perhaps 30-45 second intervals. As stated earlier, watching for activities that shouldn't be seen.

For obvious reasons, an audio book fan I'm not. I like the written word. Heck for that matter, I like my DVD's with captioning! LOL!

"The government is a child that has found their parents credit card, and spends knowing that they never have to reconcile the bill with their own money"-Shannon Churchill

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Kathianne View Post
    I'm with Cadet, I read the characters. Books can make me LOL and cry. Sometimes at embarrassing moments. One of the benefits of being deaf, it's very easy to avoid outside, just not look. If I keep my eyes on page, nothing else unless a 'boom' will lift my eyes. I've trained myself to scan a room of students as perhaps 30-45 second intervals. As stated earlier, watching for activities that shouldn't be seen.

For obvious reasons, an audio book fan I'm not. I like the written word. Heck for that matter, I like my DVD's with captioning! LOL!
    not to derail, but wow I did't know this.

I'm rereading my Tom Clancey books from Hunt for Red October to Catch a Tiger by the Tail. I love the Jack Ryan series. follows actually from his dad being a Baltimore cop to him being a CIA agent to becoming President to his son becoming a spy. Pretty cool series even if some of his early work gets pretty bogged down in military technical details that slow the story down.

I've probably read them each 50 times over the years , but it's been awhile and they are just great books.