Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)

With all the current news about finding Richard III I decided my English history needed a little brushing up so I am reading Allison Weir's Wars of the Roses. It's very readable history and does a good job of detailing some of the personality of the main players.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    181 Post(s)

The Fallen Angel- Daniel Silva

Art restorer, assassin, spy—Gabriel Allon returns in The Fallen Angel, another blockbuster espionage thriller from #1 New York Times bestselling author Daniel Silva. The acclaimed author of Portrait of a Spy, Silva (“a world class practitioner of spy fiction” —Washington Post) is an undisputed master of the genre who has brought “new life to the international thriller” (Newsday).
    A breathtaking adventure that races around the globe, The Fallen Angel begins in Rome, where Allon is called upon to investigate a murder at the Vatican, one with disastrous repercussions that could plunge the world into a conflict of apocalyptic proportions. If you haven’t yet
    been drawn into Daniel Silva’s thrilling universe of intrigue, danger, and exceptional spycraft, start here—and see why the Philadelphia Inqurer declares that, “The enigmatic Gabriel Allon remains one of the most intriguing heroes of any thriller series.”

After the game, the king and the pawn go into the same box - Author unknown

“Unfortunately, the truth is now whatever the media say it is”
    -Abbey

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)

Well the last book I read was "Leadership and Self Deception" Highly recomend it for anyone that has to deal with others (so everyone). It really gave me a new perspective on how I deal with others and my own thought process. (fast read only 200 pages)

I am currently reading the sequal to that book (The Anatomy of Peace: Resolving the Heart of Conflict). These two books are put out by the Arbinger Institute. I will say all of us here would see ourselves in these books and see how our own interactions and "thoughts" affect not only ourselves but others.

They really delve into how to effectively communicate/see others without jusgement. Some on here could really use a mild dose of that
    Last edited by Nukeman; 07-17-2013 at 08:36 AM.
    Experience is what you get when you don't get what you want." -Dr. Randy Pausch

Death is lighter than a feather, Duty is heavier than a mountain

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    181 Post(s)

Making the Mummies Dance: Inside the Metropolitan Museum of Art by Thomas Hoving. From Amazon:
    A former Director of the Metropolitan Museum of Art reveals his bold and
    brash life at its pinnacle: the clandestine deals which secured
    blockbuster exhibitions for the museum and made him a legend.
    If you have an interest in this amazing museum, this is a fascinating read. Couldn't put it down over vacation.

-Abbey

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    126 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Abbey View Post
    Making the Mummies Dance: Inside the Metropolitan Museum of Art by Thomas Hoving. From Amazon: If you have an interest in this amazing museum, this is a fascinating read. Couldn't put it down over vacation.
    When i 1st went to met in my 20's. I went into the Egyptian area and was literally stunned by the craftsmanship and design of the hieroglyphics. It was/is breathing. on multiple levels. as someone who works with graphic design. it awe inspiring stuff.
    It is proper to take alarm at the first experiment on our liberties. The freeman of America did not wait till usurped power had strengthened itself by exercise, and entangled the question in precedents. James Madison
    Live as free people, yet without employing your freedom as a pretext for wickedness; but live at all times as servants of God.
    1 Peter 2:16

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    181 Post(s)

It is a world-class treasure for sure. So thrilling to see in person the Renoir that has hung on my wall since I can remember. I too really love the ancient art. Last time we went (last January), I got in trouble with a guard for touching a sarcophagus. I just couldn't help it! Hoving doesn't pull any punches describing the people involved (mostly negative) and behind-the-scenes action.

-Abbey

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    66 Post(s)

Abby...

First, I love Daniel Silva's books. Gabriel Allon is a fantastic character.

Second, if you liked the book on the Met, let me suggest you try Dinosaurs in the Attic: An Excursion into the American Museum of Natural History by Douglas Preston. Preston is a very good author of fiction and non-fiction (as is his brother)...

From Amazon:

Dinosaurs in the Attic is a chronicle of the expeditions, discoveries, and scientists behind the greatest natural history collection every assembled. Written by former Natural History columnist Douglas Preston, who worked at the American Museum of Natural History for seven years, this is a celebration of the best-known and best-loved museum in the United States.

From Library Journal:

New York's American Museum of Natural History, one of the outstanding science museums in the world, contains an extraordinary collection of objects: dinosaur skeletons, human mummies, tiny beetles, birds of paradise, and massive totem poles. Only a tiny fraction of the millions of catalogued specimens is on public view, and Douglas, with a series of judicious choices, takes us on a tour of the great labyrinth of storerooms and vaults that houses the bulk of the collection. Of equal interest are the people who built up and continue to maintain this extraordinary collection. This is a delightful book filled with fascinating stories, anecdotes, and personalities. Highly recommended.
    "I am allergic to piety, it makes me break out in rash judgements." - Penn Jillette
    "I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with a lot of pleasure." - Clarence Darrow
    "The man who invented the telescope found out more about heaven than the closed eyes of prayer ever discovered." - Robert G. Ingersoll

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    181 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by hjmick View Post
    Abby...

Second, if you liked the book on the Met, let me suggest you try Dinosaurs in the Attic: An Excursion into the American Museum of Natural History by Douglas Preston. Preston is a very good author of fiction and non-fiction (as is his brother)...

From Amazon:

From Library Journal:
    Thanks for the suggestion- sounds interesting!

-Abbey

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

Default here's a list that some may wish to at least google...

Well, I was going to say that I'm a Conservative Christian and read only the "GOOD BOOK" but I see that someone beat me to the draw in adding a little humor at the beginning of the thread by mentioning PLAYBOY. HA!!!! Not sure that is a book but it was certainly very popular years ago.

Seriously though, I have a few that are excellent reads (if you're into sci-fi, action, drama and gore). The last one below is non-fiction and is an account of the author's view points and experiences in God's Country.

So....here is my list that some may wish to at least google:

For fiction/SciFi, I suggest:
    The Catarbie Conspiracy by Sabrina deSouza. She is about to finish book TWO of a 6 part series.
    For fiction/action/dark themes, I suggest:
    The HALCYON series by Mike Holder. He is currently working on his fourth book within a 5 part series of books that may also be a graphic novel and possibly a feature film that is much like The Punisher and I Am Legend.
    I like fiction and Sci-fi and often refer to Darwin's The Origin of Species (short version title). For nonfiction with historical, fulfilled prophecy and prophecy yet to be (as well as other fascinating stories), I refer to the KJB.

For a good read that if great to simply REFLECT on our lives and how to live a fulfilled life, "A Look at Life from a Deer Stand" by Steve Chapman. He has authored and illustrated several books with one very nice publication (book III I believe) with large, gorgeous photographs of America's Wildlife.

Great thread.....can't believe I've over looked it.

Lunch time!!!!
    NEVER MESS WITH AN
    IRISH/SCOTT/ITALIAN CHEROKEE!

"A wise man is at the right hand but a fool is at the left." Ecclesiastes 10:2
    "The fool hath said in his heart, there is no God" Psalms 53:1

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Haven't started it yet but have Trident K9 Warriors. It's about the training of dogs for Navy SEALs and other specialized units.
    ​Courage is being scared to death...and saddling up anyway - John Wayne

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    181 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by hjmick View Post
    Abby...

From Amazon:

From Library Journal:
    I just ordered it from Amazon.

-Abbey

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    66 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Abbey View Post
    I just ordered it from Amazon.

Nice, I hope you enjoy it. I've read all of his fiction which then led me to his nonfiction works.

His brother, Richard Preston, mostly writes about infectious disease and bioterrorism. He wrote a very interesting book about the ecosystems in the tops of the redwood forests.
    "I am allergic to piety, it makes me break out in rash judgements." - Penn Jillette
    "I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with a lot of pleasure." - Clarence Darrow
    "The man who invented the telescope found out more about heaven than the closed eyes of prayer ever discovered." - Robert G. Ingersoll

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)

Currently reading, The Sack of Rome, by Alexander Stille--The Penguin Press , New York 2006. Just started chapter 4 last night. Title is a bit misleading as its about modern day Rome and the deeds of Berlusconi and his associates not Rome's destruction by the barbarians. Although that's why I bought it only to discover when arriving home it was about modern day Rome. I picked it up on the way out of the book store by reading the title only. Still its an interesting book. I have to admit since being a regular here both my reading, my chess and all my shooting have suffered greatly. Life is like that, never enough time and then you die! -Tyr
    18 U.S. Code § 2381-Treason Whoever, owing allegiance to the United States, levies war against them or adheres to their enemies, giving them aid and comfort within the United States or elsewhere, is guilty of treason and shall suffer death, or shall be imprisoned not less than five years and fined under this title but not less than $10,000; and shall be incapable of holding any office under the United States.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    88 Post(s)

I just picked up two Alex Cross books today. Need to finish newest ODD book by Dean Koontz first.
    If the freedom of speech is taken away
    then dumb and silent we may be led,
    like sheep to the slaughter.

George Washington (1732-1799) First President of the USA.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

For about the 20th or so time in my life... The Hobbit.