Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    88 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Marcus Aurelius View Post
    For about the 20th or so time in my life... The Hobbit.
    Have you read any of Christopher Paolini's books?
    If the freedom of speech is taken away
    then dumb and silent we may be led,
    like sheep to the slaughter.

George Washington (1732-1799) First President of the USA.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by SassyLady View Post

Originally Posted by Marcus Aurelius
    For about the 20th or so time in my life... The Hobbit.
    Have you read any of Christopher Paolini's books?
    Of course. I found it fascinating that he wrote Eragon when he was 15.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    88 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Marcus Aurelius View Post
    Of course. I found it fascinating that he wrote Eragon when he was 15.
    Me too. And to have such a grasp on the subtleties of "racial prejudices" even with fantasy characters, and how they had to drop the barriers and band together to fight a greater enemy.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Me too. And to have such a grasp on the subtleties of "racial prejudices" even with fantasy characters, and how they had to drop the barriers and band together to fight a greater enemy.
    I like that they still didn't "like" each other, it's more of a "we've got bigger fish to fry" kind of thing. That and the point that he didn't beat the readers over the head with it. Eragon still distrusted them, but realized that, for the greater good, he had to give the urghals a chance at redemption.
    "Government screws up everything. If government says black, you can bet it's white. If government says sit still for your safety, you'd better run for your life!"
    --Wayne Allyn Root
    www.rootforamerica.com
    www.FairTax.org

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

I keep running out of books. I'm all caught up on Song of Fire & Ice, finished up the Inheritance Cycle, The Sword of Truth series, and now I'm stuck waiting for more books to come out since I'm caught up or finished with all of my series.

I read the entire Dresden Files series as well, and I'm going back through some of my older novels again, including my Nora roberts books.
    "Government screws up everything. If government says black, you can bet it's white. If government says sit still for your safety, you'd better run for your life!"
    --Wayne Allyn Root
    www.rootforamerica.com
    www.FairTax.org

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    88 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by DragonStryk72 View Post
    I keep running out of books. I'm all caught up on Song of Fire & Ice, finished up the Inheritance Cycle, The Sword of Truth series, and now I'm stuck waiting for more books to come out since I'm caught up or finished with all of my series.

I read the entire Dresden Files series as well, and I'm going back through some of my older novels again, including my Nora roberts books.
    Have you read any of James Rollins? Nice series and he always starts with an element of truth but turns it into fiction to the point that it scares the hell out of you to think it is really happening. Series featuring Sigma Force. The one about the seed vault hit me the hardest. I think it's called Doomsday Key.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Right now: Kitchen Confidential by Anthony Bourdain

Should have read this a long time ago, but for whatever reason, never got to it until now.

So far, two burnt & cut thumbs up. He actually tells stories well, but many cooks/chefs can, especially those trained on the East Coast.

Very entertaining. My favorite parts so far are when he describes his liking working with women line cooks that don't take shit and things they have done to thwart the harassment and debauchery within the staff, and telling about a place he worked at that was in a high rise near Central Park and for entertainment, cooks would toss profiteroles out the one window you could open that high up to hit pedestrians with them.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Have you read any of James Rollins? Nice series and he always starts with an element of truth but turns it into fiction to the point that it scares the hell out of you to think it is really happening. Series featuring Sigma Force. The one about the seed vault hit me the hardest. I think it's called Doomsday Key.
    I just finished a biography on Thomas Jefferson called The Art of Power by Jon Meacham which I checked out from the Library. I liked it so much, I asked my wife to order my own hard copy so I could re-read and make my own "scholarly" notes on the matter. In addition to the Jefferson book, my wife purchased another Jon Meacham biography on Andrew Jackson called American Lion. I have eagerly awaited both of their arrivals.
    In the meantime I picked up the first and second books in the Sigma Series by James Rollins. I'm on Map of Bones and today my biographies arrived.
    Sorry Jefferson and Jackson, you have been put officially on hold

Seriously, while Rollins starts with little nuggets of truth and takes them to crazy proportions, not unlike Dan Brown, those little nuggets of truth are fascinating enough to send you to the library on your own research project!
    Last edited by Thunderknuckles; 09-10-2013 at 09:36 PM.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Recently finished Uranium by Tom Zoellner. Was actually quite interesting. From the first realization of what that 'waste rock' was, to developing the bomb to the current focus on expanding nuke power.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    88 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Thunderknuckles View Post
    I just finished a biography on Thomas Jefferson called The Art of Power by Jon Meacham which I checked out from the Library. I liked it so much, I asked my wife to order my own hard copy so I could re-read and make my own "scholarly" notes on the matter. In addition to the Jefferson book, my wife purchased another Jon Meacham biography on Andrew Jackson called American Lion. I have eagerly awaited both of their arrivals.
    In the meantime I picked up the first and second books in the Sigma Series by James Rollins. I'm on Map of Bones and today my biographies arrived.
    Sorry Jefferson and Jackson, you have been put officially on hold

Seriously, while Rollins starts with little nuggets of truth and takes them to crazy proportions, not unlike Dan Brown, those little nuggets of truth are fascinating enough to send you to the library on your own research project!
    Well, I don't go to the library to do research but I like to delve further into his references. I was all over the internet about the Seed Vault and discovered that Bill Gates has a huge stake in Svalbard. Sources say he has invested over $30M.

So when Bill Gates decides through the Gates Foundation to invest some $30 million of their hard earned money in a project, it is worth looking at.No project is more interesting at the moment than a curious project in one of the world’s most remote spots, Svalbard.
    Bill Gates is investing millions in a seed bank on the Barents Sea near the Arctic Ocean, some 1,100 kilometers from the North Pole. Svalbard is a barren piece of rock claimed by Norway and ceded in 1925 by international treaty (see map).
    On this God-forsaken island Bill Gates is investing tens of his millions along with the Rockefeller Foundation, Monsanto Corporation, Syngenta Foundation and the Government of Norway, among others, in what is called the ‘doomsday seed bank.’ Officially the project is named the Svalbard Global Seed Vault on the Norwegian island of Spitsbergen, part of the Svalbard island group.

The seed bank is being built inside a mountain on Spitsbergen Island near the small village of Longyearbyen. It’s almost ready for ‘business’ according to their releases. The bank will have dual blast-proof doors with motion sensors, two airlocks, and walls of steel-reinforced concrete one meter thick. It will contain up to three million different varieties of seeds from the entire world, ‘so that crop diversity can be conserved for the future,’ according to the Norwegian government. Seeds will be specially wrapped to exclude moisture. There will be no full-time staff, but the vault’s relative inaccessibility will facilitate monitoring any possible human activity.

Did we miss something here? Their press release stated, ‘so that crop diversity can be conserved for the future.’ What future do the seed bank’s sponsors foresee, that would threaten the global availability of current seeds, almost all of which are already well protected in designated seed banks around the world?
    http://www.globalresearch.ca/doomsda...arctic-2/23503
    PS ... has anyone other than myself invested in their own seed vault? Maybe this should be a completely separate thread?!
    Last edited by SassyLady; 09-11-2013 at 12:46 AM.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    181 Post(s)

Well, I don't go to the library to do research but I like to delve further into his references. I was all over the internet about the Seed Vault and discovered that Bill Gates has a huge stake in Svalbard. Sources say he has invested over $30M. PS ... has anyone other than myself invested in their own seed vault? Maybe this should be a completely separate thread?!
    Yes! I'd be fascinated to read about what you've learned.
    After the game, the king and the pawn go into the same box - Author unknown

“Unfortunately, the truth is now whatever the media say it is”
    -Abbey

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by DragonStryk72 View Post

Have you read the "Wheel of Time" series by Robert Jordan. Its a 13 book series that was finally finished a few years after Jordan death by Brandon Sanderson.. You could also try the "Mistborn Trilogy" by Sanderson. Very good books and LOTS to read....
    Experience is what you get when you don't get what you want." -Dr. Randy Pausch

Death is lighter than a feather, Duty is heavier than a mountain

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Just finishing book 3 of the Inheritance Cycle. Book 4 is still in the mail, should have been here days ago. It's nice to escape from this bizarro world into some good fantasy.
    When I die I'm sure to go to heaven, cause I spent my time in hell.

You get more with a kind word and a two by four, than you do with just a kind word.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Reading linear algebra. With applications!
    By Bernard Kolman/David R. Hill.
    "If you must mount the gallows, give a jest to the crowd, a coin to the hangman, and make the drop with a smile on your lips"

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    88 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Gaffer View Post
    Just finishing book 3 of the Inheritance Cycle. Book 4 is still in the mail, should have been here days ago. It's nice to escape from this bizarro world into some good fantasy.
    Awesome series from a very talented young writer. I look forward to his next book. Any word on whether he's written anything else?