Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    88 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Nukeman View Post
    Have you read the "Wheel of Time" series by Robert Jordan. Its a 13 book series that was finally finished a few years after Jordan death by Brandon Sanderson.. You could also try the "Mistborn Trilogy" by Sanderson. Very good books and LOTS to read....
    Nuke ... was talking to someone about the Game of Thrones and he mentioned Wheel of Time. I want to buy the entire series and read them during the upcoming winter when it's too cold to be outside. Snuggle down and bury my nose in a good book!
    If the freedom of speech is taken away
    then dumb and silent we may be led,
    like sheep to the slaughter.

George Washington (1732-1799) First President of the USA.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by SassyLady View Post
    Nuke ... was talking to someone about the Game of Thrones and he mentioned Wheel of Time. I want to buy the entire series and read them during the upcoming winter when it's too cold to be outside. Snuggle down and bury my nose in a good book!
    Its a great series, You can tell when Brandon Sanderson took over the writing though. Jordan has a slower more descriptive pace and Sanderson is more action related. Sometimes I felt Jordan could get a little wordy but he is an awesome story teller. If you like fantasy books you will LOVE these.. I have read the series from start to finish at least 4 times....
    Experience is what you get when you don't get what you want." -Dr. Randy Pausch

Death is lighter than a feather, Duty is heavier than a mountain

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Awesome series from a very talented young writer. I look forward to his next book. Any word on whether he's written anything else?
    I haven't heard what he's done since this series. It took me years to find out book three was published and then discover there was a book four. Don't book publishers advertise any more?

The wheel of time series sounds interesting. I do kind of cringe when I hear another author has stepped in to finish a series. Most authors will tell you, the stories will write themselves as they progress.
    When I die I'm sure to go to heaven, cause I spent my time in hell.

You get more with a kind word and a two by four, than you do with just a kind word.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)

Now reading , again my signed copy of , Famous Are Thy Halls by Rupert Norval Richardson. Enjoying it very much . I read it back in the early 70's the first time. I am amazed at how much I've forgotten from that first reading..
    18 U.S. Code § 2381-Treason Whoever, owing allegiance to the United States, levies war against them or adheres to their enemies, giving them aid and comfort within the United States or elsewhere, is guilty of treason and shall suffer death, or shall be imprisoned not less than five years and fined under this title but not less than $10,000; and shall be incapable of holding any office under the United States.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    88 Post(s)

I've just started reading the Mitch Rapp novels by Vince Flynn. Halfway through Transfer of Power.
    If the freedom of speech is taken away
    then dumb and silent we may be led,
    like sheep to the slaughter.

George Washington (1732-1799) First President of the USA.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I've just started reading the Mitch Rapp novels by Vince Flynn. Halfway through Transfer of Power.
    I only have a couple of those I have not read, and was quite sad when he recently passed away, as of course there will be no more. I thought all of them very good.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)

Just started reading this morning--Tancred or The New Crusade volume XVI EARL'S EDITION 1904 by Benjamin Disraeli Earl of Beaconsfield..
    18 U.S. Code § 2381-Treason Whoever, owing allegiance to the United States, levies war against them or adheres to their enemies, giving them aid and comfort within the United States or elsewhere, is guilty of treason and shall suffer death, or shall be imprisoned not less than five years and fined under this title but not less than $10,000; and shall be incapable of holding any office under the United States.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)

I am now reading, The Charm of the Middle Kingdom by James Reid Marsh, Boston, Little Brown ,and Company first edition Sept. 1922.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    66 Post(s)

Just finished Mad River by John Sandford and just started Phantom by Ted Bell.
    "I am allergic to piety, it makes me break out in rash judgements." - Penn Jillette
    "I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with a lot of pleasure." - Clarence Darrow
    "The man who invented the telescope found out more about heaven than the closed eyes of prayer ever discovered." - Robert G. Ingersoll

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Just about to read "Lessons In Excellence" by Charlie Trotter. Just finally finished Kitchen Confidential.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)

Just started "The Critique of Pure Reason" by Immanuel Kant. Little tough since its translated from German but I think it will be a good read. Will come back with a "critique" of my own.
    Experience is what you get when you don't get what you want." -Dr. Randy Pausch

Death is lighter than a feather, Duty is heavier than a mountain

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Finished Blood of Tyrants, George Washington & the forging of the Presidency. By Logan Beirne. Great read in my opinion.

Just a bit into Stephen Kings new one Doctor Sleep.
    Last edited by Arbo; 10-23-2013 at 11:21 PM.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    126 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Nukeman View Post
    Just started "The Critique of Pure Reason" by Immanuel Kant. Little tough since its translated from German but I think it will be a good read. Will come back with a "critique" of my own.
    That's a book i've read ABOUT, and an author/philosopher i've read fairly a lot about.
    I've read lots of quotes of, and critiques of, him in other books ive read.
    please let me know what your impression are when your done.

A bit of a twist on the theme here.
    i'm reading the book of 1st Kings in the Bible this week.
    and i found a quick 1 minute raw outline of the book.
    <iframe src="//www.youtube.com/embed/38oZMvCPgpQ?feature=player_detailpage" allowfullscreen="" frameborder="0" height="360" width="640"></iframe>
    Last edited by revelarts; 10-29-2013 at 05:41 AM.
    It is proper to take alarm at the first experiment on our liberties. The freeman of America did not wait till usurped power had strengthened itself by exercise, and entangled the question in precedents. James Madison
    Live as free people, yet without employing your freedom as a pretext for wickedness; but live at all times as servants of God.
    1 Peter 2:16

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)

Started late last night reading my first edition copy of --Visit India with Me, by Dhan Gopal Mukerji, E.P. Dutton and Co. New York 1929. First three chapters are great. I expect the entire book will be the same. If interested in India and its past I recommend this book. I bought in I believe back around 1989 browsed thru it a bit and never got back to it until now , some great pictures in it as well.. Too many books and not enough time. --Tyr

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    50 Post(s)

Just finished The Generals: American Military Command from World War II to Today. I like reading military history and trying to understand the whys and wherefors of events. Certainly the key figures involved (and the decisions they make) have an impact on our attitudes and perceptions. Very good overview and comments here:

http://www.amazon.com/The-Generals-A.../dp/1594204047

My favorite quote from the book (from a colonel in command reflecting on the Iraq war): “As matters stand now, a private who loses a rifle suffers far greater consequences than a general who loses a war.”

This book should be required reading for not only senior military leadership but our civilian leadership as well.
    I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them.
    Thomas Jefferson

16. Thanks revelarts thanked this post