Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    369 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by NightTrain View Post
    There are actually great benefits to turning that locator on. I use it almost every day since I'm travelling around Alaska to towns I've never been in.

The locator GPS function allows me to plug in an address, and Google Navigator has a female voice tell me where I'm going. I lay my cell on my dash of my rental truck and she steers me verbally to where I need to go.

Don't be afraid of technology, Gunny.

I know where you're coming from, but it's not all bad. I use it every day.
    I have no fear of technology. I'm just not going to put up with the abuse of technology by others, for whatever reason, any more than I have to.
    “When bad men combine, the good must associate; else they will fall, one by one, an unpitied sacrifice in a contemptible struggle.” Edumnd Burke

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    369 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ConHog View Post
    I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but you can't turn off big brother's ability to track your cell phone. Unless you pull the batter out of it.
    The locator pinpoints you on the grid, to the spot. IF I use the phone, they can still see what cell towers my phone last hit but cannot trace me beyond that.
    “When bad men combine, the good must associate; else they will fall, one by one, an unpitied sacrifice in a contemptible struggle.” Edumnd Burke

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Gunny View Post
    The locator pinpoints you on the grid, to the spot. IF I use the phone, they can still see what cell towers my phone last hit but cannot trace me beyond that.
    Incorrect Gunny. IF your batter is installed in your phone it is constantly attempting to communicate with a cell tower. Actually with up to three cell towers, whether you're on the phone or not.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    369 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ConHog View Post
    Incorrect Gunny. IF your batter is installed in your phone it is constantly attempting to communicate with a cell tower. Actually with up to three cell towers, whether you're on the phone or not.
    Unless you turn it off. I can turn the locator off in my phone. That is not the same thing as pinging off towers. I also have my cell restricted to pinging off towers only from my cell company. All that can tell anyone is where I was and perhaps give them an idea where I am going.