Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)

Default Refrigerator Ice Maker broke

I bought an Electrolux refrigerator two tears ago, floor model with a one year warrantee.

The electronics are now shot. You cannot change the temps in either compartment but luckily they are set correctly. It was contantly beeping an alarm so I found the elctronics board and pulled the beeper off.

It has never chilled the water on the door. Now the ice maker broke for the second time, and is out of warranty. Last time the repair guy said it might have something to do with turning the water off in the house when I'm away (for weeks at a time). Something to do with lack of water pressure causing it to freeze. I'm thinking about putting a little pressure tank on the house system to keep 10 gallons on the system under pressure. That way if a pipe bursts I only have a 10 gallon leak instead of 100,000. Any bets that this will fix the ice maker?

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by glockmail View Post
    I bought an Electrolux refrigerator two tears ago, floor model with a one year warrantee.

The electronics are now shot. You cannot change the temps in either compartment but luckily they are set correctly. It was contantly beeping an alarm so I found the elctronics board and pulled the beeper off.

It has never chilled the water on the door. Now the ice maker broke for the second time, and is out of warranty. Last time the repair guy said it might have something to do with turning the water off in the house when I'm away (for weeks at a time). Something to do with lack of water pressure causing it to freeze. I'm thinking about putting a little pressure tank on the house system to keep 10 gallons on the system under pressure. That way if a pipe bursts I only have a 10 gallon leak instead of 100,000. Any bets that this will fix the ice maker?
    I don't think it will. I turn my main water supply of when I leave for any extended time too. I've never had the problems you describe.

Maybe a new electronic board? Fox Appliance here in Ga sells all kinds of parts. Prices are good as well and they have a web site.
    UNITED STATES ARMY AVIATION

Above the Best

Why the Hell should I have to press “1” for ENGLISH?

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. P View Post
    I don't think it will. I turn my main water supply of when I leave for any extended time too. I've never had the problems you describe.

Maybe a new electronic board? Fox Appliance here in Ga sells all kinds of parts. Prices are good as well and they have a web site.
    I don't think the electronics have anything to do with it, as they crapped out after the ice maker had problems the first time.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

I don't think the electronics have anything to do with it, as they crapped out after the ice maker had problems the first time.
    But is it all on the same card? I've seen puter cards that had both audio and modem on the same card. One part can fail but not the other..Just a thought.
    UNITED STATES ARMY AVIATION

Above the Best

Why the Hell should I have to press “1” for ENGLISH?

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    204 Post(s)

I can't help you, but I know I'd be a very unhappy customer. Electrolux are expensive.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. P View Post
    But is it all on the same card? I've seen puter cards that had both audio and modem on the same card. One part can fail but not the other..Just a thought.

You have to basically lift the refrigerator off the floor to get into the card more than a tweak. I know the whole card ain't broke, since the power failure alarm continued to work- you just couldn't shut it off. There is probably a second card in the control panel that is totally broken, as none of the temperature controls work, along with some stupid alarms, and the little light that turns from green to yellow then red, telling you to spend another $50 on a water filter. Come to think about it, they all quit around the same time. The water filter light was yellow, and I was looking to buy a replacement filter, but then the light turned green again and has stayed there.

I don't see how either board would control the ice maker, as its a simple unit that is similar to my old fridge with no electronics.

No, I think the computer only controls changes in the temperature settings from default, . All three of those are kaput.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Kathianne View Post
    I can't help you, but I know I'd be a very unhappy customer. Electrolux are expensive.
    It was a floor model and I got it for cheaper than a mid-range GE. Its all stainless with hidden hinges and stuff- looks like a mini Sub Zero.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    204 Post(s)

It was a floor model and I got it for cheaper than a mid-range GE. Its all stainless with hidden hinges and stuff- looks like a mini Sub Zero.
    Very good looking I agree. Still, I'd think Electrolux might help you out, to keep you from 'badmouthing' their product? Use whatever levers you can.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)

Part of the problem is that I'm only at the house on some weekends- when their help line is shut down. Their nearest tech is 2 hours away, so they hire a guy from Sears who is closer. Of course he can only come during the week so I can either give him the run of the place or stay over a day, loosing a day's work and another half-tank of gas. Then he typically doesn't have a part so I have to make a second set of arrangements for a lost day and more gas. Plus the guy has a string of excuses for why the situation is my problem: the house is too cold when I'm away, the water is turned off, the ice machine is not used enough, blah, blah.

I've learned a long time ago that it usally takes less time to fix something yourself than to have some other bozo do it for you. Plus a bag of ice goes for a buck fifty.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default ........

Put an on off valve on the water imput line to your fridge.

If you attack the Clintons publically make sure all your friends know your not planning on commiting suicide ~ McCain 2008
    Happiness is Obama's picture on the back of a milk carton.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default ...........

Part of the problem is that I'm only at the house on some weekends- when their help line is shut down. Their nearest tech is 2 hours away, so they hire a guy from Sears who is closer. Of course he can only come during the week so I can either give him the run of the place or stay over a day, loosing a day's work and another half-tank of gas. Then he typically doesn't have a part so I have to make a second set of arrangements for a lost day and more gas. Plus the guy has a string of excuses for why the situation is my problem: the house is too cold when I'm away, the water is turned off, the ice machine is not used enough, blah, blah.

I've learned a long time ago that it usally takes less time to fix something yourself than to have some other bozo do it for you. Plus a bag of ice goes for a buck fifty.
    I used to be a manager for Sear's. Get the Better Business Bureau involved, Appliance maker's do not want them involved because they bring a lot of bad press. Electrolux used to be owned by Fridgidaire and all their products were garbage, so I constantly told my customers to get the BBB involved and 9 times out of 10 they replaced the unit for them.

If you attack the Clintons publically make sure all your friends know your not planning on commiting suicide ~ McCain 2008

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by nevadamedic View Post
    Put an on off valve on the water imput line to your fridge.
    There is one where it connects to the supply. What is that supposed to do besides turn the water off, like I do at the house supply whenever I leave for extended periods?

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)

I used to be a manager for Sear's. Get the Better Business Bureau involved, Appliance maker's do not want them involved because they bring a lot of bad press. Electrolux used to be owned by Fridgidaire and all their products were garbage, so I constantly told my customers to get the BBB involved and 9 times out of 10 they replaced the unit for them.
    I've delt with the BBB before and got zero satisfaction. Besides the warantee period is past. They'll just tell me to pound sand.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default .........

The other thing is all thes Appliance Companies own eachother now days. Whirlpool (which is the best brand to get hands down) makes Kitchen Aid and Kirkland(Costco brand Appliances) and the majority of Kenmore Appliances(Fridgidare and LG make some too, but they are both crap), Maytag makes Jenn Air(both brands are garbage).

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)

The other thing is all thes Appliance Companies own eachother now days. Whirlpool (which is the best brand to get hands down) makes Kitchen Aid and Kirkland(Costco brand Appliances) and the majority of Kenmore Appliances(Fridgidare and LG make some too, but they are both crap), Maytag makes Jenn Air(both brands are garbage).
    I have a basic whirlpool that's 11 years old and it works great. My only complaint with it is that it flexes on its feet when you open a door, even after several attepts to lele it, and its not the floor flexing either. The frame is very light and cheap. By comparison the electolux is a tank.