Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jimnyc View Post
    A year later and eating better and not smoking hasn't left me losing very much weight. Too much fluctuation (and too much junk food). This was taken right after I walked in the door from the gym a few minutes ago. I'm not in the habit of wearing the "muscle beaters", but after sitting in the sauna and working out, my body needs the air! That, and this gives the haters a chance to tell me how much tattoos suck!

Not fat...and I don't see anything wrong with your tatoo's either. You're very nice looking (could smile more though).

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

The wife and I went on the flat belly diet; it focuses on lots of water, portion control (4x400 Cal meals) and MUFAs, ( the healthy monounsaturated fats)-- I lost 2 inches in a month. The reasoning is if you don't eat some fats, your body freaks out and wont burn what you've got stored; additionally, regular small meals keep the digestive track moving, whereas less frequent larger meals allow food to sit too long in the gut, having longer to absorb and the body just stores it there for later. Its tough the first few days/weeks, while your stomach shrinks-- I felt so hungry. But meal planning is the key; if you wait until you're hungry-- you'll eat more and worse. Speaking of quitting smoking, congrats by the way, did you use any cessation products? Or just cold turkey?

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    373 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Shadow View Post
    Not fat...and I don't see anything wrong with your tatoo's either. You're very nice looking (could smile more though).
    Somebody's been getting in his head.
    “When bad men combine, the good must associate; else they will fall, one by one, an unpitied sacrifice in a contemptible struggle.” Edumnd Burke

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Jess View Post
    Thank God! A sane man who knows that chocolate makes everything ok.

For real though, dark chocolate is the way to go when dieting. And blueberries are the shiz-nizzle of good snacking foods. I read an article recently - don't remember where - that we won't over-eat blueberries because they are blue and we don't have any ocular addictions to blue foods. Something about how foods look can cause us to binge on them as much as the taste itself does. Dunno. Kinda makes sense to me.
    If there is no chocolate in Heaven, I am not going

How do you tell a communist? Well, it's someone who reads Marx and Lenin. And how do you tell an anti-Communist? It's someone who understands Marx and Lenin.

Ronald Reagan

Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    139 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ConHog View Post
    I'd rather weigh 500 lbs then live one day without meat. FACT.
    Gay.

Quote Originally Posted by Trigg View Post
    What good is a skinny man who can't keep their woman warm in the winter time????
    Women say that, yet demand:

http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2011/...95_634x794.jpg

Now, I tell ya, He's hot. I get that. But AS a 'fat guy' who is sorta 'skinny fat' - I mean, i'm not perfectly round, nor GROSS fat, but as a guy with probably 20 extra pounds lately, maybe 30, I wear it pretty well and women STILL do not find me attractive. (based on my vibe from women, which admittedly, is likely severely retarded/withered.)

Quote Originally Posted by Abbey View Post
    I have a real weakness for salt bagels.
    I need to change my name to 'salt bagels'

Quote Originally Posted by red states rule View Post
    If there is no chocolate in Heaven, I am not going

re: Eating - just picked up a vegan cookbook by a guy I met in Jamaica.

I'm not going vegan; but I like good food.
    “… the greatest detractor from high performance is fear: fear that you are not prepared, fear that you are in over your head, fear that you are not worthy, and ultimately, fear of failure. If you can eliminate that fear—not through arrogance or just wishing difficulties away, but through hard work and preparation—you will put yourself in an incredibly powerful position to take on the challenges you face" - Pete Carroll.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    50 Post(s)

Must be someting in the air. I started a powerlifting/cross fit routine about three months ago. My sons decided I was getting too fat and old (they can't do anything about the ugly part). We go to the gym 6 days a week. This is week 12. I have lost 5 inches around the waist and lost about 15 pounds. Now we are starting the eating right part. Good thing I like fruits and most vegetables. None of us are giving up the meat though. The good thing is that two of the boys have been doing this since before their deployment to the sand box and know this stuff inside and out. They change up the routines every week. I have to admit that I feel a lot stronger but have not lost as much weight as I think I need to. About 15 more pounds should do it. It is also hard not to compare myself to the two "iron men"; I watch them do the power lifting routines and marvel at how much weight they are tossing around. I am getting better at it each week though and can really see progress.

The cross fit stuff is just plain killer. I feel good afterwards but that's because the pain finally stops! We throw in a little cardio like running for dessert each day too. I think the boys are trying to do me in so they can have my stuff!
    I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them.
    Thomas Jefferson

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    126 Post(s)

Jim, don't beat yourself down it's counter productive after awhile, My optimistic side as i get older always tell me, look, your doing a little better than yesterday, that's a lot better than nothing, keep moving.

I saw this documentary a few weeks ago, it's interesting, inspiring and informative.
    http://www.fatsickandnearlydead.com/
    this lead guy didn't go vegan for life but did do a green Juice fast for 60 days, Along the way he met someone else in worse condition than himself, weight and the health wise, who was ready to make drastic changes so he juice fasted as well for 60 days but continued for I think 120 days after he saw the benefits of just 60, the Health and weight changes were dramatic, others the Australian guy met took his challenge and found some benefits as well, one woman migraines stopped. Good stuff.

<object style="height: 390px; width: 640px">

<embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/LRtSo-YpWbk?version=3&feature=player_detailpage" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" allowscriptaccess="always" height="360" width="640"></object>
    It is proper to take alarm at the first experiment on our liberties. The freeman of America did not wait till usurped power had strengthened itself by exercise, and entangled the question in precedents. James Madison
    Live as free people, yet without employing your freedom as a pretext for wickedness; but live at all times as servants of God.
    1 Peter 2:16

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    514 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Shadow View Post
    Why thank you! I'm not big on smiling, not happy with my teeth either! LOL I guess you can say I have low self esteem.

Quote Originally Posted by logroller View Post
    The wife and I went on the flat belly diet; it focuses on lots of water, portion control (4x400 Cal meals) and MUFAs, ( the healthy monounsaturated fats)-- I lost 2 inches in a month. The reasoning is if you don't eat some fats, your body freaks out and wont burn what you've got stored; additionally, regular small meals keep the digestive track moving, whereas less frequent larger meals allow food to sit too long in the gut, having longer to absorb and the body just stores it there for later. Its tough the first few days/weeks, while your stomach shrinks-- I felt so hungry. But meal planning is the key; if you wait until you're hungry-- you'll eat more and worse. Speaking of quitting smoking, congrats by the way, did you use any cessation products? Or just cold turkey?
    Yeap, read all about the stored fats and how your body eats certain fats at certain times. I guess I need to substitute a little healthy food in there with the coffee during the day. When I first quit smoking I tried the electric cigarettes, which DO work, but not for me as I'm an addict with everything I touched. I quit cold turkey and never looked back, expect for when I suffered like I was in hell for the first couple of weeks!

Quote Originally Posted by CSM View Post
    Must be someting in the air. I started a powerlifting/cross fit routine about three months ago. My sons decided I was getting too fat and old (they can't do anything about the ugly part). We go to the gym 6 days a week. This is week 12. I have lost 5 inches around the waist and lost about 15 pounds. Now we are starting the eating right part. Good thing I like fruits and most vegetables. None of us are giving up the meat though. The good thing is that two of the boys have been doing this since before their deployment to the sand box and know this stuff inside and out. They change up the routines every week. I have to admit that I feel a lot stronger but have not lost as much weight as I think I need to. About 15 more pounds should do it. It is also hard not to compare myself to the two "iron men"; I watch them do the power lifting routines and marvel at how much weight they are tossing around. I am getting better at it each week though and can really see progress.

The cross fit stuff is just plain killer. I feel good afterwards but that's because the pain finally stops! We throw in a little cardio like running for dessert each day too. I think the boys are trying to do me in so they can have my stuff!
    Congrats, sounds like you're making good progress! We should make a "fitness" forum here some day and learn from what others succeed and fail with.

Quote Originally Posted by revelarts View Post
    Jim, don't beat yourself down it's counter productive after awhile, My optimistic side as i get older always tell me, look, your doing a little better than yesterday, that's a lot better than nothing, keep moving.

I saw this documentary a few weeks ago, it's interesting, inspiring and informative.
    http://www.fatsickandnearlydead.com/
    this lead guy didn't go vegan for life but did do a green Juice fast for 60 days, Along the way he met someone else in worse condition than himself, weight and the health wise, who was ready to make drastic changes so he juice fasted as well for 60 days but continued for I think 120 days after he saw the benefits of just 60, the Health and weight changes were dramatic, others the Australian guy met took his challenge and found some benefits as well, one woman migraines stopped. Good stuff.
    <object style="height: 390px; width: 640px"></object>
    I did do the juice thing for a bit, just not entirely. And it DOES work, but I would only recommend for "cleansing" your body. As soon as you go back to a regular diet you will put the majority of the weight back on. But if you eat "right", you will only put the "majority" back on, and you're body will be leaner and better for it. Now if I could only do that and stick with it! LOL
    “You know the world is going crazy when the best rapper is a white guy, the best golfer is a black guy, the tallest guy in the NBA is Chinese, the Swiss hold the America's Cup, France is accusing the U.S. of arrogance, Germany doesn't want to go to war, and the three most powerful men in America are named "Bush", "Dick", and "Colin." Need I say more?” - Chris Rock

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jimnyc View Post
    Why thank you! I'm not big on smiling, not happy with my teeth either! LOL I guess you can say I have low self esteem.

Yeap, read all about the stored fats and how your body eats certain fats at certain times. I guess I need to substitute a little healthy food in there with the coffee during the day. When I first quit smoking I tried the electric cigarettes, which DO work, but not for me as I'm an addict with everything I touched. I quit cold turkey and never looked back, expect for when I suffered like I was in hell for the first couple of weeks!

Congrats, sounds like you're making good progress! We should make a "fitness" forum here some day and learn from what others succeed and fail with.

I did do the juice thing for a bit, just not entirely. And it DOES work, but I would only recommend for "cleansing" your body. As soon as you go back to a regular diet you will put the majority of the weight back on. But if you eat "right", you will only put the "majority" back on, and you're body will be leaner and better for it. Now if I could only do that and stick with it! LOL

I'm telling you. 5 mile run daily along with 100 pushups and 100 situps a day (as well as the associated warmups) and you can eat and drink whatever you want. Now as I get older I find myself less enthused about the exercise and more enthused about the eating and I am gaining some weight no matter how much I exercise and don't even get me started on the performance differences between now and 10 years ao. Takes me almost twice as long to run that 5 miles; but you do what you have to .

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    373 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ConHog View Post
    I'm telling you. 5 mile run daily along with 100 pushups and 100 situps a day (as well as the associated warmups) and you can eat and drink whatever you want. Now as I get older I find myself less enthused about the exercise and more enthused about the eating and I am gaining some weight no matter how much I exercise and don't even get me started on the performance differences between now and 10 years ao. Takes me almost twice as long to run that 5 miles; but you do what you have to .
    I was talking to the man in the mirror and I can STILL put 200 lbs over my head. On a bad day. Jimmy's got to do what Jimmy's got to do.
    “When bad men combine, the good must associate; else they will fall, one by one, an unpitied sacrifice in a contemptible struggle.” Edumnd Burke

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    50 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Gunny View Post
    I was talking to the man in the mirror and I can STILL put 200 lbs over my head. On a bad day. Jimmy's got to do what Jimmy's got to do.
    Yep. And I'm here to tell you that it doesn't get any easier with age either. I hate running and I sure am not as fast as I used to be but I still get at least 2 miles (Army PT test) in the alloted time. I also can tell you that even small injuries (pulled muscles, bruises, etc.) take a lot longer to heal. It's tough being old. Truth of the matter is, I don't see a lot of guys my age (60+) at the gym. I figure thay are all home buying that new walker or out running marathons. On the good side, though strength fades fast (if you don't do anything), you can keep reasonably strong with consistent strength training. The cardio is a MUST, regardless.

Everyone has their own strengths/weaknesses and we each have to adjust our health routines to them. Maintain the strengths and work on the weaknesses.
    I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them.
    Thomas Jefferson

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    50 Post(s)

By the way, I think a "health" forum would be great. I could use some encouragement sometimes and would be interested in what others are doing to get/stay healthy.
    Thomas Jefferson

Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    139 Post(s)

DP "Biggest Loser" forum?
    “… the greatest detractor from high performance is fear: fear that you are not prepared, fear that you are in over your head, fear that you are not worthy, and ultimately, fear of failure. If you can eliminate that fear—not through arrogance or just wishing difficulties away, but through hard work and preparation—you will put yourself in an incredibly powerful position to take on the challenges you face" - Pete Carroll.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by CSM View Post
    Yep. And I'm here to tell you that it doesn't get any easier with age either. I hate running and I sure am not as fast as I used to be but I still get at least 2 miles (Army PT test) in the alloted time. I also can tell you that even small injuries (pulled muscles, bruises, etc.) take a lot longer to heal. It's tough being old. Truth of the matter is, I don't see a lot of guys my age (60+) at the gym. I figure thay are all home buying that new walker or out running marathons. On the good side, though strength fades fast (if you don't do anything), you can keep reasonably strong with consistent strength training. The cardio is a MUST, regardless.

Everyone has their own strengths/weaknesses and we each have to adjust our health routines to them. Maintain the strengths and work on the weaknesses.
    Over 60 and can still pass the PT standards? Impressive. I think I'll be able to when I get there, but the situps UGH.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Gunny View Post
    I still say that after looking at his picture that Jimmy doesn't need to do anything extreme. It's not like he's a tub of lard. I run 5 miles a day 5 days a week and the other exercises because I like being in better than good shape. In noway do I think a guy who just wants to lose a few pounds need to do what I do.