View Poll Results: Do you believe in Mandatory Military?

Voters
29. You may not vote on this poll
  • I'm for Mandatory Military.

13 44.83%
  • I'm against Mandatory Military.

15 51.72%
  • I'm indifferent - what happens is of no consequence to me.

1 3.45%
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Nukeman View Post
    With her big ass mouth she would be one of the first getting a bullet. (one less for me)
    My guess is you'd want someone willing to shoot *first* - not stand there flapping their gums.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by shattered View Post
    You're failing to keep in mind just what kind of "service" you'd get out of someone LIKE Gabo.. It bears repeating.. Do you *really* want her guarding your back in tense situations?
    You are also failing to realize the type of service that would be EXPECTED of them as well. They would not be put on the front lines untill they proved themselves capable. We have millions of military personal in the brancehs of the military most are not in open combat situations so the choice of wether or not to place them on the front lines would still be made those who want or dont want them.

Loud mouths make great targets for the enemy....
    Experience is what you get when you don't get what you want." -Dr. Randy Pausch

Death is lighter than a feather, Duty is heavier than a mountain

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Nukeman View Post
    You are also failing to realize the type of service that would be EXPECTED of them as well. They would not be put on the front lines untill they proved themselves capable. We have millions of military personal in the brancehs of the military most are not in open combat situations so the choice of wether or not to place them on the front lines would still be made those who want or dont want them.

Loud mouths make great targets for the enemy....
    Eh, maybe, but.. I'd still be too worried about what they're going to screw up next.. Best to just keep them far, far away.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    54 Post(s)

I know a lot of you have a military fetish, but to impose mandatory service is beyond ridiculous. Mandatory service would allow future Bush-inspired war criminals to start their own conflicts and reap the benefits from such.
    Not to mention the fact that, as in Vietnam, the rich and well-connected would still find a way to avoid service.

The U.S. military is fine as it is. If there was ever another genuine war, once which the country was actually threatened (as opposed to us doing the threatening), there would be no shortage of volunteers.
    The current threat to the military is the continued lies and deception of the current military brass. "Come see the world! Get an education! Become a man! ..well, maybe, after we send you to fight a war in which we started."

There is no reason for the U.S. to have mandatory military service. Except perhaps to appease those who enjoyed their time, and want to see everyone have to do the same.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by robosaurus View Post
    I know a lot of you have a military fetish, but to impose mandatory service is beyond ridiculous. Mandatory service would allow future Bush-inspired war criminals to start their own conflicts and reap the benefits from such.
    Not to mention the fact that, as in Vietnam, the rich and well-connected would still find a way to avoid service.

The U.S. military is fine as it is. If there was ever another genuine war, once which the country was actually threatened (as opposed to us doing the threatening), there would be no shortage of volunteers.
    The current threat to the military is the continued lies and deception of the current military brass. "Come see the world! Get an education! Become a man! ..well, maybe, after we send you to fight a war in which we started."

There is no reason for the U.S. to have mandatory military service. Except perhaps to appease those who enjoyed their time, and want to see everyone have to do the same.
    Gabs...if you really believe that the military of today, feels they are being lied to......Why are they still enlisting in record numbers...
    Why aren't they defecting their duty???

And a lot of them... probably have as much education as you do..

Another thing....I think some military service....would be good for you...Just so you get a better idea, of what they actually have to go through...
    Last edited by stephanie; 05-18-2007 at 12:54 AM.
    "A nation can survive its fools, and even the ambitious. But it cannot survive treason from within. An enemy at the gates is less formidable, for he is known and carries his banner openly. But the traitor moves amongst those within the gate freely, his sly whispers rustling through all the alleys, heard in the very halls of government itself."
    Tullius Cicero (106-43 BC)

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I'm with shattered on this one. You really don't want people who don't want to be there. It's the epitome of a situation where you can't go half way, it doesn't matter what capacity they are in, if they don't want to be there or hold a grudge against the government for forcing them to be there it's a bad thing. It's risky enough with all the people that go in just for the money or because they have no other real option, but at least then they know what they are in for and decide to go for it. On the other hand I really can't understand why the military turns anyone down. This "well stick 'em somewhere, even if it's not combative" attitude should be shifted to the people the military turn away. Mandatory, bad idea... anyone can sign up, good idea. That would at least partially help whatever problem it is that mandatory service is supposed to solve. I'm not sure what those are but it's a better step.
    See You In Hell

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by gabosaurus View Post

do you know which countries in the world have mandatory military service?

http://www.c3.hu/~farkashe/english/countries.htm

do you know which ones are by draft and which ones are at the point of a gun?
    Last edited by manu1959; 05-18-2007 at 01:22 AM.

"I would rather live my life as if there is a God and die to find out there isn't, than live my life as if there isn't and die to find out there is."

~Albert Camus

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. P View Post
    I am not for any Mandatory service, be it Military or Peace corp.

The second we have "Mandatory" for any service we become indentured an therefore not free.

I think I know Stripeys angle. If it's mandatory more of the public will be vocal about what actions we take outside of the USA. If we were isolationist that works, fact is we are not. The people don't call the shots on a daily basis the 'elected' office holders do. The option is to vote for those who run things to your liking instead of giving the Government the power to force you to server them. That's My 2 cents.
    This is my opinion exactly. We are a free people, who can choose to serve in the military. Service without choice is slavery.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    54 Post(s)

I'm not interested in how other countries do it. I am interested how the U.S. does it. What else should we make "mandatory" for each person? Perhaps work on roads, or do community service? How about we take all the wealthy, pampered children away from their ipods and video games and make them clean the roadsides for a certain number of hours?
    Those who did not learn the lessons of Viet Nam are doomed to repeat them.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by LiberalNation View Post
    No way. Not unless our country is being invaded. You don't get good quality from people forced against their will to do a job anyway.
    I voted FOR mandatory service, but not necessarily Military service. Rather service to their country. With deferrment until after graduation, where resonable.
    Last edited by Doniston; 05-18-2007 at 11:44 AM.
    Who else is as much a Bush-basher as I???
    An Italian Confusious Say: "He who throwist mud, losith ground"

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by shattered View Post
    I'm confused. 4 people voted FOR it, 2 haven't posted their reasons yet.. The other two placed "other" conditions on it, when the conditions were clearly outlined. Obviously, if they don't agree with it as stated, then they don't agree with it, and should have selected such. Bad children.
    People don't Always follow your ORDERS. They have minds of their own, and are not necessarily subject to manipulation or unreasonable limitations.
    Who else is as much a Bush-basher as I???
    An Italian Confusious Say: "He who throwist mud, losith ground"

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I voted for mandatory service. A hired service is a mercenary service. If service were mandatory, our leaders would think a lot harder about sending their sons and daughters into harm's way.

*Not to mention the good that military discipline would do for this country if all citizens had to go through it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gaffer
    Science wants to explain things and understand why they happen. Creationists want to use science to justify their own causes.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Hagbard Celine View Post
    I voted for mandatory service. A hired service is a mercenary service. If service were mandatory, our leaders would think a lot harder about sending their sons and daughters into harm's way.

*Not to mention the good that military discipline would do for this country if all citizens had to go through it.
    Well then if that's how you feel you're ready to enlist, great! I'll drive you to the nearest recruiter.
    UNITED STATES ARMY AVIATION

Above the Best

Why the Hell should I have to press “1” for ENGLISH?

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Hagbard Celine View Post

you must be joking... you believe they would think harder? don't you understand that important people have ways around anything. If nothing else an almost infinite amount of resources would bring our leaders to be more careless, not more careful.

As for it being a good thing for our citizens to go through, I agree, but only to a certain point. There are many strong willed people out there who thrive in such a situation and many of them do so voluntarily, but there are also a lot of pushovers out there that would only succumb to the minor brainwashing that goes on in the military. Haven't you ever met a soldier and thought, this walking robot shouldn't be allowed back into society until he's deprogrammed... well luckily the way it is now that's the minority of people who serve, another fear of mine would be that would become the majority if it were mandatory.
    See You In Hell

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by chum43 View Post
    you must be joking... you believe they would think harder? don't you understand that important people have ways around anything. If nothing else an almost infinite amount of resources would bring our leaders to be more careless, not more careful.

As for it being a good thing for our citizens to go through, I agree, but only to a certain point. There are many strong willed people out there who thrive in such a situation and many of them do so voluntarily, but there are also a lot of pushovers out there that would only succumb to the minor brainwashing that goes on in the military. Haven't you ever met a soldier and thought, this walking robot shouldn't be allowed back into society until he's deprogrammed... well luckily the way it is now that's the minority of people who serve, another fear of mine would be that would become the majority if it were mandatory.
    How long did you serve, Chum?
    UNITED STATES ARMY AVIATION

Above the Best

Why the Hell should I have to press “1” for ENGLISH?