Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by tailfins View Post
    Matthew 6:5 is the verse that warns people not to flaunt their faith in public.
    Hide your candle not under a bushel.

Showing your faith is not the same thing as flaunting it.

Thank you for admitting that your agenda is to make Christians hide at home though. Very generous of you.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ConHog View Post
    Hide your candle not under a bushel.

Showing your faith is not the same thing as flaunting it.

Thank you for admitting that your agenda is to make Christians hide at home though. Very generous of you.
    I'm all about staying out of trouble.

Not MY agenda, just an observation. Some people value being inconspicuous in general. It was even portrayed in "Leave It to Beaver". All you are doing is inviting people to put you under a microscope and throw every mistake back in your face.

You're being too defensive. I sarcastically refer to "happy holidays" as Stalin's Birthday on Dec. 21 when no one I know is around. It's Merry Christmas.

Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    139 Post(s)

Thanks for shitting in my thread about SPORTS and making it a personal flame-fest. Geesh. Sometimes this is like junior high.

You called me a name, meany!
    I did not!
    Yes you did!
    No I didn't!
    “… the greatest detractor from high performance is fear: fear that you are not prepared, fear that you are in over your head, fear that you are not worthy, and ultimately, fear of failure. If you can eliminate that fear—not through arrogance or just wishing difficulties away, but through hard work and preparation—you will put yourself in an incredibly powerful position to take on the challenges you face" - Pete Carroll.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Matthew 6:5 is the verse that warns people not to flaunt their faith in public.
    keep in mind that Jesus was speaking of people who prayed in public in order to solicit the praise of their fellow man........what's being targeted at Tiebow is ridicule......Matthew 5:11 might be more appropriate in this instance....
    "Blessed are you when people insult you, persecute you and falsely say all kinds of evil against you because of me.
    ...full immersion.....

Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    139 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by PostmodernProphet View Post
    keep in mind that Jesus was speaking of people who prayed in public in order to solicit the praise of their fellow man........what's being targeted at Tiebow is ridicule......Matthew 5:11 might be more appropriate in this instance....
    "Blessed are you when people insult you, persecute you and falsely say all kinds of evil against you because of me.
    Pulling scripture out of context to berate people is something folks don't easily stop-doing. That's what Tailfins did w/ that Matthew verse.
    “… the greatest detractor from high performance is fear: fear that you are not prepared, fear that you are in over your head, fear that you are not worthy, and ultimately, fear of failure. If you can eliminate that fear—not through arrogance or just wishing difficulties away, but through hard work and preparation—you will put yourself in an incredibly powerful position to take on the challenges you face" - Pete Carroll.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by dmp View Post
    Pulling scripture out of context to berate people is something folks don't easily stop-doing. That's what Tailfins did w/ that Matthew verse.
    I was NOT berating him. I'm just pointing out that he now has people lying in wait to throw it in his face if he has a moral slip-up. He has opened up a risk for himself. I wish Tim Tebow success.

Here is another verse applicable to his situation:

Proverbs 22:3 A prudent [man] foreseeth the evil, and hideth himself: but the simple pass on, and are punished

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

I'm just pointing out that he now has people lying in wait to throw it in his face if he has a moral slip-up.
    when has this not been the case for all Christians.....

throwing scriptures at the wall and seeing what sticks is fun....
    Matthew 1013 If the home is deserving, let your peace rest on it; if it is not, let your peace return to you. 14 If anyone will not welcome you or listen to your words, leave that home or town and shake the dust off your feet. 15 Truly I tell you, it will be more bearable for Sodom and Gomorrah on the day of judgment than for that town. 16 “I am sending you out like sheep among wolves. Therefore be as shrewd as snakes and as innocent as doves. 17 Be on your guard; you will be handed over to the local councils and be flogged in the synagogues. 18 On my account you will be brought before governors and kings as witnesses to them and to the Gentiles. 19 But when they arrest you, do not worry about what to say or how to say it. At that time you will be given what to say, 20 for it will not be you speaking, but the Spirit of your Father speaking through you.
    ...full immersion.....