Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default Paterno

In light of his latest comments about how he just didn't know what to do when certain things were reported to him visa vie Sandusky, has anyone changed their opinion about him being fired?

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    181 Post(s)

Only if my being even more sure than ever that he shouldn't have been fired, constitutes a change of mind.
    After the game, the king and the pawn go into the same box - Author unknown

“Unfortunately, the truth is now whatever the media say it is”
    -Abbey

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    514 Post(s)

Not me, my stance remains the same. He told the school authorities and it's their job to handle it from there. He stated he didn't want to make follow up calls to the school officials handling it as he didn't want to appear to be exerting influence either way.
    “You know the world is going crazy when the best rapper is a white guy, the best golfer is a black guy, the tallest guy in the NBA is Chinese, the Swiss hold the America's Cup, France is accusing the U.S. of arrogance, Germany doesn't want to go to war, and the three most powerful men in America are named "Bush", "Dick", and "Colin." Need I say more?” - Chris Rock

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jimnyc View Post
    Not me, my stance remains the same. He told the school authorities and it's their job to handle it from there. He stated he didn't want to make follow up calls to the school officials handling it as he didn't want to appear to be exerting influence either way.
    Even though the law on who he's supposed to contact is clear?

Amazing.

Oh, and I know how you feel about the grad assistant and I agree, how is Paterno gone, but that douche is still working for PSU?

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    181 Post(s)

I think Jim and I have felt all along that the grad student should have been fired; not Paterno.
    After the game, the king and the pawn go into the same box - Author unknown

“Unfortunately, the truth is now whatever the media say it is”
    -Abbey

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Abbey View Post
    I think Jim and I have felt all along that the grad student should have been fired; not Paterno.
    I KNEW Jim had , but I didn't remember your stance from the last thread on the subject.

I think everyone who had ANY knowledge should be fired.

However, here's my question, why should the grad assistant be fired but not JoePa? They both did the same thing. Reported it to their superiors, rather than the police as required by law. Either they both should have been fired or neither should have been IMO.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    514 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ConHog View Post
    Even though the law on who he's supposed to contact is clear?

Amazing.

Oh, and I know how you feel about the grad assistant and I agree, how is Paterno gone, but that douche is still working for PSU?
    We've been through this, the law did not apply to Paterno as he was not a school official. There has been a billion articles about this, and even an arrest of a school administrator for not doing just what you say. But that law doesn't apply to a coach. Paterno did what he was supposed to do, contact school officials and make them aware.
    “You know the world is going crazy when the best rapper is a white guy, the best golfer is a black guy, the tallest guy in the NBA is Chinese, the Swiss hold the America's Cup, France is accusing the U.S. of arrogance, Germany doesn't want to go to war, and the three most powerful men in America are named "Bush", "Dick", and "Colin." Need I say more?” - Chris Rock

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

We've been through this, the law did not apply to Paterno as he was not a school official. There has been a billion articles about this, and even an arrest of a school administrator for not doing just what you say. But that law doesn't apply to a coach. Paterno did what he was supposed to do, contact school officials and make them aware.
    I absolutely, positively disagree with you on your definition of school official.

But, let's set that aside because we will never agree. Don't you agree that from a MORAL standpoint he should have either

A) Called the police

or

B) outright killed the fucker, THEN called the police?

IF that were me, at a minimum A would have happened, possibly B.

Certainly B if I had been the grad assistant who actually witnessed it.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    514 Post(s)

I absolutely, positively disagree with you on your definition of school official.

But, let's set that aside because we will never agree. Don't you agree that from a MORAL standpoint he should have either

A) Called the police

or

B) outright killed the fucker, THEN called the police?

IF that were me, at a minimum A would have happened, possibly B.

Certainly B if I had been the grad assistant who actually witnessed it.
    You can disagree all you like, but it's a fact. I don't need you to agree with me to know it's a fact. It's been discussed ad nauseum everywhere, and even someone at PSU was arrested for that very reason. "IF" it were as you say, then Paterno would be in violation and would have been arrested. I highly doubt that Pa. State Police arrested one man and are willfully ignoring another. The law clearly states that it would need to be a school official, and goes further on to clarify who they consider school officials, and a coach isn't one of them. I posted the law awhile back and am not searching again. He doesn't qualify as a mandatory reporter, and that's a fact.

As for what WE think he should have done, that means very little. Off the top of my head I say I would have called instantly, but I'm not Coach Joe and I don't know every intimate little detail. Nor did he probably, which is why he reported it to the AD and let the appropriate channels do their job.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

You can disagree all you like, but it's a fact. I don't need you to agree with me to know it's a fact. It's been discussed ad nauseum everywhere, and even someone at PSU was arrested for that very reason. "IF" it were as you say, then Paterno would be in violation and would have been arrested. I highly doubt that Pa. State Police arrested one man and are willfully ignoring another. The law clearly states that it would need to be a school official, and goes further on to clarify who they consider school officials, and a coach isn't one of them. I posted the law awhile back and am not searching again. He doesn't qualify as a mandatory reporter, and that's a fact.

As for what WE think he should have done, that means very little. Off the top of my head I say I would have called instantly, but I'm not Coach Joe and I don't know every intimate little detail. Nor did he probably, which is why he reported it to the AD and let the appropriate channels do their job.
    Ah, but the appropriate channels did NOT do their jobs. Oh, and I bet the law in Penn is made much clearer after this eh?

Plus, screw what he HAD to do, it's about what he SHOULD have done. And you denied it in the last thread, but the fact is Paterno could have unilaterally and instantly cut off Sandusky from having ANY access to PSU football or their facilities. At a MINIMUM he should have made sure the bastard didn't have an opportunity to take advantage of more kids on PSU property after the first two incidents .

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    514 Post(s)

Ah, but the appropriate channels did NOT do their jobs. Oh, and I bet the law in Penn is made much clearer after this eh?

Plus, screw what he HAD to do, it's about what he SHOULD have done. And you denied it in the last thread, but the fact is Paterno could have unilaterally and instantly cut off Sandusky from having ANY access to PSU football or their facilities. At a MINIMUM he should have made sure the bastard didn't have an opportunity to take advantage of more kids on PSU property after the first two incidents .
    It's not Paterno's fault that the school officials didn't appropriately do what they were supposed to, and that's why 2 of them have been arrested. And the law remains the same as far as I know, but I'm not privy to any changes politicians are looking for. "Mandated reporters" are generally restricted to school administrators, and even more towards those that specifically work with children. A college football coach hardly even comes close to those requirements. But it wouldn't surprise me if efforts were made to widen the law to include more people and for more reasons, and of course I wouldn't take issue with that.

I'm not even going to bother rehashing the second portion of your argument. What you feel Paterno had power to do means nothing to me. WHat matters to me is facts.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

It's not Paterno's fault that the school officials didn't appropriately do what they were supposed to, and that's why 2 of them have been arrested. And the law remains the same as far as I know, but I'm not privy to any changes politicians are looking for. "Mandated reporters" are generally restricted to school administrators, and even more towards those that specifically work with children. A college football coach hardly even comes close to those requirements. But it wouldn't surprise me if efforts were made to widen the law to include more people and for more reasons, and of course I wouldn't take issue with that.

I'm not even going to bother rehashing the second portion of your argument. What you feel Paterno had power to do means nothing to me. WHat matters to me is facts.
    Ok then, it is a FACT that Paterno could have barred Sandusky from the football facilities.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    514 Post(s)

Ok then, it is a FACT that Paterno could have barred Sandusky from the football facilities.
    Then all you need is proof that this is the case.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Then all you need is proof that this is the case.
    Sure, look around at individual programs where the head coach barred boosters from the facilities for NCAA violations, never mind rape.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    514 Post(s)

Sure, look around at individual programs where the head coach barred boosters from the facilities for NCAA violations, never mind rape.
    Just as I presumed, no facts. Whatever, think what you may about him, I'm certainly not trying to convince you otherwise. You asked a question starting the thread and I answered. I'm not being lured into the same thread we've already had. I'm out, maybe you'll find someone who didn't participate last time who wants to discuss.