Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    54 Post(s)

A guy in my husband's office flips laptops as a hobby on the side. He has ads is a few periodicals offering to buy non-working laptops. Of course, this is Orange County, home to an army of spoiled rich kids. He told us once how amazed he is at kids (and some adults) who jack around with their computers and never even try to fix them. Instead, they just buy a new one.
    Topic in point -- he bought an almost new Mac Air that had overheated and shut off. He bought it for $100. Repaired and cleaned it, resold it for $1200.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by gabosaurus View Post
    A guy in my husband's office flips laptops as a hobby on the side. He has ads is a few periodicals offering to buy non-working laptops. Of course, this is Orange County, home to an army of spoiled rich kids. He told us once how amazed he is at kids (and some adults) who jack around with their computers and never even try to fix them. Instead, they just buy a new one. Topic in point -- he bought an almost new Mac Air that had overheated and shut off. He bought it for $100. Repaired and cleaned it, resold it for $1200.
    I made some nice money backna day, buying "dead" CD players and then DVD players, junked because they quit working. Most always, it was a 50 cent o-ring which they use as a drive belt for the carriage, that was the culprit. I would buy these for a buck, put the 50 cents into them, and flip them for $15 or $20. I did it with VCRs as well, before they started becoming way cheap to just replace.
    ‎'Is there anything wrong with anything.' Is that what you're asking, friendo?

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Which by the way gabo... Nice to see you using my Michelle Bachmann LOL cat image as a avatar. I created that for the sole purpose of posting in a forum board thread about her, and really glad to see it's still out there.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Red Neckerson View Post
    I made some nice money backna day, buying "dead" CD players and then DVD players, junked because they quit working. Most always, it was a 50 cent o-ring which they use as a drive belt for the carriage, that was the culprit. I would buy these for a buck, put the 50 cents into them, and flip them for $15 or $20. I did it with VCRs as well, before they started becoming way cheap to just replace.
    Ooohh...probably what's wrong with my DVD player. Wonder if I can find instructions on how to fix this myself online. Thanks for the tip

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Shadow View Post
    Ooohh...probably what's wrong with my DVD player. Wonder if I can find instructions on how to fix this myself online. Thanks for the tip
    It's the easiest money I ever made.... All tax free too I might add.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

It's the easiest money I ever made.... All tax free too I might add.
    That's the best kind...always a good feeling when you run into these kinds of opportunities too. I did once also... while living in another state, no extra money...and then kind of by accident found a place that sold old old books (some collectors editions) for .50 a piece. Bought many while I lived there,and then turned around and sold them on Ebay...some of them for $40.00 to $ 50.00.

Not really the same as using your technical skills but still...

Where did you sell your DVD's once fixed? And where did you buy the parts to fix them? Online? My Ex used to have certain contacts for real cheap computer parts online at one time...probably for other electronics too.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Shadow View Post
    That's the best kind...always a good feeling when you run into these kinds of opportunities too. I did once also... while living in another state, no extra money...and then kind of by accident found a place that sold old old books (some collectors editions) for .50 a piece. Bought many while I lived there,and then turned around and sold them on Ebay...some of them for $40.00 to $ 50.00. Not really the same as using your technical skills but still... Where did you sell your DVD's once fixed? And where did you buy the parts to fix them? Online? My Ex used to have certain contacts for real cheap computer parts online at one time...probably for other electronics too.
    There was a time in this country where they had this wonderful thing called Radio Shack, where they kept in stock a very wide selection of electronic parts and components - you could even get vacuum tubes tested and replaced - perchance that one might actually be able to repair radios and stuff. Today if you walk into one of those looking for a component part, all you get are dumb looks. Actually today, if you walk into one of those looking for ANYTHING, you get dumb looks. For selling the repaired CD and DVD players I had a running classified advert in the local paper. Sometimes i would even take these units back to the pawn shop I bought it from and sell it back for $20. They never got the clue that, 'hey, we could be fixing these ourselves and selling them instead of pricing them at $5 because they don't work.'

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

There was a time in this country where they had this wonderful thing called Radio Shack, where they kept in stock a very wide selection of electronic parts and components - you could even get vacuum tubes tested and replaced - perchance that one might actually be able to repair radios and stuff. Today if you walk into one of those looking for a component part, all you get are dumb looks. Actually today, if you walk into one of those looking for ANYTHING, you get dumb looks. For selling the repaired CD and DVD players I had a running classified advert in the local paper. Sometimes i would even take these units back to the pawn shop I bought it from and sell it back for $20. They never got the clue that, 'hey, we could be fixing these ourselves and selling them instead of pricing them at $5 because they don't work.'
    Well...the Radio Shacks around here are definately smaller than they used to be....and harder to find. I went into one last Christmas just to look around. About the only thing they sell is go go gadgets for your Ipad,cell phone,laptops,Mp3 players etc. Saftey covers...chargers,headphones and not much else. They may have had netbooks and some car radios... but if they did I sure don't remember being impressed.

Lucky for you the pawn shops never got a clue....that meant extra cash in your pocket.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

BUT... The blue dashboard/instrument panel lights ARE easier to read and prettier then the amber ones or the green ones.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

BUT... The blue dashboard/instrument panel lights ARE easier to read and prettier then the amber ones or the green ones.
    Are you stalking me?? You better not be planning on showing me your boo boo's.