Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Nine times out of ten a phony will claim to be special forces, those are the ones to question. There are often those that did serve that tend to embellish their time in the service. But they did serve. A few simple questions will tell a lot about someone's service. When were you there, what unit were you in? That sort of thing will tell a lot to the real vet. A little bit of basic information can be checked out easily with the internet.

The red flag is always those that claim to be special forces of some kind. But verifying service is not practical on here. won't work without invading privacy.
    When I die I'm sure to go to heaven, cause I spent my time in hell.

You get more with a kind word and a two by four, than you do with just a kind word.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    50 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Gaffer View Post
    Nine times out of ten a phony will claim to be special forces, those are the ones to question. There are often those that did serve that tend to embellish their time in the service. But they did serve. A few simple questions will tell a lot about someone's service. When were you there, what unit were you in? That sort of thing will tell a lot to the real vet. A little bit of basic information can be checked out easily with the internet.

The red flag is always those that claim to be special forces of some kind. But verifying service is not practical on here. won't work without invading privacy.
    I tend ot agree in that the wannabees usually claim to be some kind of Rambo with this special unit or that special unit. It's a wonder sometimes that the plain old Army had enough soldiers because so many were special ops!
    I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them.
    Thomas Jefferson

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    514 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by dmp View Post
    Any thoughts about initiating a process to verify a forum member's military / veteran's status? I'm thinking we limit the military-affiliation badges to those members who provide a modicum of proof of their service. Perhaps we issue a special 'verified' tag to those who want to remove-all-question, and leave it as-is for those who simply wish to claim service? In today's world, fakes come out of the woodwork too often. Maybe a 'sanitized' DD214 sent to Jim or another Admin for review? Folks can remove SSNs, and other stuff (next of kin info/addresses), etc. I dunno - what do you think?
    I think it's an awesome idea - but I would withdraw myself from any verification process. I'm not military, and I would feel akward expecting a veteran to have to "prove" anything to me, even if it is just to get a verified tag. Additionally, as owner, too many problems about trust with information could come back to haunt the board. People already make up all kinds of stupid stories when angry with me, I wouldn't want to open myself up, or the veteran, to any kind of accusations.

BUT, I wholeheartedly agree with your idea in principle, and would nominate you in a heartbeat to lead the cause, so long as you share nothing with me other than a yes or no.
    “You know the world is going crazy when the best rapper is a white guy, the best golfer is a black guy, the tallest guy in the NBA is Chinese, the Swiss hold the America's Cup, France is accusing the U.S. of arrogance, Germany doesn't want to go to war, and the three most powerful men in America are named "Bush", "Dick", and "Colin." Need I say more?” - Chris Rock

Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    139 Post(s)

Absolutely - if any of the folk here wanna see, I'd send them an example of how I edited my documents for the other site I'm on. Basically sent my name, proof of assignments (although it's not complete list) awards (incomplete, too) and period of service on my DD214s (I have two). I emailed them in to an admin - here's their stated privacy policy:

In recent years the art of falsifying military service and awards (a.k.a. posing) has become a frequent occurance within the military community. Obviously this is an unacceptable practice and opens the door to operational and personal security violations. ... We do not have the time or patience to try and figure out who exactly you are and what type of OPSEC/PERSEC you should be privy to, so in order to eliminates any ambiguity that may otherwise exist the verification process was implemented. This process ensures that our members and visitors are communicating with credible professionals and it also preserves the integrity of the community...The preferred method is via email. You can send your documentation (preferably with sensitive information redacted)...once your verification packet has been completed, your information will be destroyed
    Keep in mind, this is a military forum/community. It's much more essential in that environment. Still, doing something like that (Verify-LITE?), would provide another good way to recognize the service of our membership; and again, be completely optional. I would, personally, however, feel much better about debating/discussing this stuff with folks I knew (or had reasonable assurance) weren't imposters.

Just an idea - not going to mandate or start anything - will leave that up to others. Maybe I'll create a custom 'Verified' badge and try it out?

Jim - if we do something like this, I'd have the first person I verify, verify ME - so there's some accountability; vs me just declaring i'm 'verified', ya know? Make sense?

“… the greatest detractor from high performance is fear: fear that you are not prepared, fear that you are in over your head, fear that you are not worthy, and ultimately, fear of failure. If you can eliminate that fear—not through arrogance or just wishing difficulties away, but through hard work and preparation—you will put yourself in an incredibly powerful position to take on the challenges you face" - Pete Carroll.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    514 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by dmp View Post
    Just an idea - not going to mandate or start anything - will leave that up to others. Maybe I'll create a custom 'Verified' badge and try it out?

Jim - if we do something like this, I'd have the first person I verify, verify ME - so there's some accountability; vs me just declaring i'm 'verified', ya know? Make sense?

If you can make the badge, we can work something out from there...

As for you, not sure its necessary with all the "proof" you have posted over the years, but I suppose everyone should have to participate in order to get the badge.
    “You know the world is going crazy when the best rapper is a white guy, the best golfer is a black guy, the tallest guy in the NBA is Chinese, the Swiss hold the America's Cup, France is accusing the U.S. of arrogance, Germany doesn't want to go to war, and the three most powerful men in America are named "Bush", "Dick", and "Colin." Need I say more?” - Chris Rock

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Gaffer View Post

What are you talking about? They used to call me Agent Orange back in Nam.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    181 Post(s)

Hmm. Next thing you know Jim will ask us to "verfiy" boobies. Only for a badge,of course.
    After the game, the king and the pawn go into the same box - Author unknown

“Unfortunately, the truth is now whatever the media say it is”
    -Abbey

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Abbey View Post
    Hmm. Next thing you know Jim will ask us to "verfiy" boobies. Only for a badge,of course.
    Ironically, I would have no problem with that LOL

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Only if we've got DDs.
    Argue for your limitations, and sure enough, they're yours.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    514 Post(s)

That's a damn good idea!! Upgrades to accounts for pics in panties or boobies!! (women only of course!)

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    181 Post(s)

But where would we pin the badge?
    After the game, the king and the pawn go into the same box - Author unknown

“Unfortunately, the truth is now whatever the media say it is”
    -Abbey

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by CSM View Post
    I tend ot agree in that the wannabees usually claim to be some kind of Rambo with this special unit or that special unit. It's a wonder sometimes that the plain old Army had enough soldiers because so many were special ops!
    True story - the ex "used to hang out with SEALs". Yup, that's his story.

He was a welder on a sub-tender. Out in under 3 years on medical.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    514 Post(s)

But where would we pin the badge?
    no comment

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jimnyc View Post
    no comment
    Board-sponsored tattoo on the left buttock?

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jimnyc View Post
    That's a damn good idea!! Upgrades to accounts for pics in panties or boobies!! (women only of course!)
    That's discrimination you sexist pig .