Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    369 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by CSM View Post
    I'm thinking you jarheads saw different parts of the world than us Army guys did or at least a different view from your balcony. However, I have slept in a quonset hut (slightly bigger than you describe), driven a jeep (what a piece of crap but fun nevertheless) into some very strange places and drove by Twentynine Palms once!
    The whole point to "the joke's on them" is I was informed ever so solemnly that I was screwed and was going to have to drive a 4-wheel drive jeep and/or truck in the Delta and Bravo corridor at 29 Palms. The ligthbulb over Gunny's (then Corporal) head said .... "Wait ... you mean I get to drive a 4-wheeler in the desert on the Government's dime?"

Needless to say I was crushed.

I can STILL see the look on MGySgt Baldwin's face when they got their first shipment of 4x4 S-10's and I dared look at them. He came running at full speed across the lot. "Don't even LOOK at them, Cpl ..., it'll be a cold day in Hell before you get one of my new vehicles."

You'd have thought I wrecked a few of his trucks or something.
    “When bad men combine, the good must associate; else they will fall, one by one, an unpitied sacrifice in a contemptible struggle.” Edumnd Burke

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    50 Post(s)

One of the benefits to being a CSM was I got to drive my own vehicle. They thoughtfully assigned me a driver/RTO; I said "Yeah, right". The only time that poor kid got to drive was when I wasn't in the vehicle. I let him drive it occassionally; kinda like a teenager asking daddy for the keys. Staff officers would get so pissed off because they couldn't use my vehicle even if it was just sitting there. They knew they weren't getting it .... period. The commander MIGHT let them use his vehicle but, boy, they had to beg for it!
    I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them.
    Thomas Jefferson

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    369 Post(s)

One of the benefits to being a CSM was I got to drive my own vehicle. They thoughtfully assigned me a driver/RTO; I said "Yeah, right". The only time that poor kid got to drive was when I wasn't in the vehicle. I let him drive it occassionally; kinda like a teenager asking daddy for the keys. Staff officers would get so pissed off because they couldn't use my vehicle even if it was just sitting there. They knew they weren't getting it .... period. The commander MIGHT let them use his vehicle but, boy, they had to beg for it!
    Good thing it wasn't me. After I scared Capt Jones out of his skivvies, he demanded MY vehicle and allowed as how HE was driving. I merely pointed out he needed to read the trip ticket. MY vehicle and I drive. Capt Primmer, who I actually was assigned to, just buckled up and told me not to kill his radios (he was EW). Of course, he was an LDO who went from Sgt to WO to Capt. He let me beat up his (EW) SSgt.

Let's put Capt Jones in perspective though. He was a ring knocker and a dick. He carried a S&W Model 36 (5 shot .38 special) everywhere he went and was so stupid he almost killed the Base CG by dropping the damned thing and it going off. He was determined "people wanted to kill him" because he was the 0311 grader for Combined Arms Exercises. LtCol Cisneros handed me the weapon and told me to "take care of it". He was another LDO. After I beat up the SSgt, he totally let me off the hook. And I locked the ring knocker's handgun in my safe.
    “When bad men combine, the good must associate; else they will fall, one by one, an unpitied sacrifice in a contemptible struggle.” Edumnd Burke

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    50 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Gunny View Post
    Good thing it wasn't me. After I scared Capt Jones out of his skivvies, he demanded MY vehicle and allowed as how HE was driving. I merely pointed out he needed to read the trip ticket. MY vehicle and I drive. Capt Primmer, who I actually was assigned to, just buckled up and told me not to kill his radios (he was EW). Of course, he was an LDO who went from Sgt to WO to Capt. He let me beat up his (EW) SSgt.

Let's put Capt Jones in perspective though. He was a ring knocker and a dick. He carried a S&W Model 36 (5 shot .38 special) everywhere he went and was so stupid he almost killed the Base CG by dropping the damned thing and it going off. He was determined "people wanted to kill him" because he was the 0311 grader for Combined Arms Exercises. LtCol Cisneros handed me the weapon and told me to "take care of it". He was another LDO. After I beat up the SSgt, he totally let me off the hook. And I locked the ring knocker's handgun in my safe.
    Sounds like the situation was handled appropriately.
    I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them.
    Thomas Jefferson

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    369 Post(s)

Sounds like the situation was handled appropriately.
    Everyone has their moments. SSgt Colvin reminds me of a certain poster on this board. A REMF without a clue. He put me on the range when the ex was due to have my oldest. And guess what happened on Monday, Day One of firing? The whole line got called, and I got called off the line and was told to report to the branch medical clinic. Unfortunately for the squids incvolved, I tromped into the branch medical clinic with an M-16A! and a loaded magazine. Then some squid says he has to take my weapon.

He obviouslt didn't underatand the whole "Marine on mission" concept. I wanted to know where my wife was and WTF was wrong. The corpsman in the end actually traded me this ugly pink thing that looked like Mr Spock for my weapon. BTW ... she was a medic in the Army. The ugly pink thing.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    50 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Gunny View Post
    Everyone has their moments. SSgt Colvin reminds me of a certain poster on this board. A REMF without a clue. He put me on the range when the ex was due to have my oldest. And guess what happened on Monday, Day One of firing? The whole line got called, and I got called off the line and was told to report to the branch medical clinic. Unfortunately for the squids incvolved, I tromped into the branch medical clinic with an M-16A! and a loaded magazine. Then some squid says he has to take my weapon.

He obviouslt didn't underatand the whole "Marine on mission" concept. I wanted to know where my wife was and WTF was wrong. The corpsman in the end actually traded me this ugly pink thing that looked like Mr Spock for my weapon. BTW ... she was a medic in the Army. The ugly pink thing.
    I am betting that the ugly pink thing turned into a beautiful young lady. I love that part of the story!
    Thomas Jefferson

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

I drove a UH-1H.
    UNITED STATES ARMY AVIATION

Above the Best

Why the Hell should I have to press “1” for ENGLISH?

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    369 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. P View Post
    I drove a UH-1H.
    I've fallen out of several.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    50 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. P View Post
    I drove a UH-1H.
    Heh. Now that is a job I had absolutely NO interest in doing. Looked far too complicated. I am very glad that some chose to do it though.
    Thomas Jefferson

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    369 Post(s)

I am betting that the ugly pink thing turned into a beautiful young lady. I love that part of the story!
    Daddy's little girl? Best thing I ever made. And that's one child I couldn't deny. Not only does she resemble me, she's got quite the mouth. The Army nurses were QUITE upset with her "colorful" language the other day.