Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    50 Post(s)

Default Week 16

SO, I am nearing the end of week 16 (number of weeks since I started trying to get "healthy"). Feeling pretty good for an old guy and am very glad I am doing this. I had a nice compliment from one of the staff at the gym. She said "I am amazed at how well you keep up with your sons; you do really well". Made me feel pretty good that she even noticed. I still have to get the eating healthy part started in earnest. I have not lost a lot of weight but lost inches around the belly (that's a good thing, right?). I have found my after workout beverage (diet cranberry juice) seems to really revitalize me and keep me off the couch for the "post workout nap". Crossfit and running aren't so painful and my lungs stay in my chest now (for the most part). If nothing else, this workout stuff gives me something to do.
    I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them.
    Thomas Jefferson

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)

I recently switched from afternoon workouts to morning (5:00am uggh) I find I have been doing better with that than the afternoon ones. right now I have just been doing primary muscles again and i will work on trimming down in about 3 weeks (been a few weeks since I went so started over).

Great job for sticking to it for the last 16 weeks, I to have the problem of enjoying the WRONG food. Beer also is a big one.. Find I feel about 70% better when I don't have a drink the night before...

Keep up the good work!! It's nice when you work circles around the younger guys isn't it!??!?
    Experience is what you get when you don't get what you want." -Dr. Randy Pausch

Death is lighter than a feather, Duty is heavier than a mountain

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    50 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Nukeman View Post
    I recently switched from afternoon workouts to morning (5:00am uggh) I find I have been doing better with that than the afternoon ones. right now I have just been doing primary muscles again and i will work on trimming down in about 3 weeks (been a few weeks since I went so started over).

Great job for sticking to it for the last 16 weeks, I to have the problem of enjoying the WRONG food. Beer also is a big one.. Find I feel about 70% better when I don't have a drink the night before...

Keep up the good work!! It's nice when you work circles around the younger guys isn't it!??!?
    I would do the early morning workout if I could but I have to be at work around 6ish. I am a morning person but not THAT early! Drinking is not a problem for me as I just don't drink (long story there). I still eat stuff that isn't exactly the best for me but have managed to cut some of that down. As far as I know, I haven't worked circles around anyone yet, at least not he ones going to the gym. I am, however, starting to keep up with their janitor!
    I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them.
    Thomas Jefferson

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Good on both of you gentlemen.

CSM - Gunny tells me that it's not the weight that matters (within reason, of course) since muscle weighs more than fat. If you're losing inches, feeling better, getting fit - don't worry about the weight much. Our society fixates on a number that we weigh, rather than whether or not we are in good physical shape.

Now, the caveat to that is whatever weight the food from McDonald's is, it doubles when residing upon one's backside. Those are not good-looking pounds there.
    Argue for your limitations, and sure enough, they're yours.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    50 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Jess View Post
    Good on both of you gentlemen.

CSM - Gunny tells me that it's not the weight that matters (within reason, of course) since muscle weighs more than fat. If you're losing inches, feeling better, getting fit - don't worry about the weight much. Our society fixates on a number that we weigh, rather than whether or not we are in good physical shape.

Now, the caveat to that is whatever weight the food from McDonald's is, it doubles when residing upon one's backside. Those are not good-looking pounds there.

Oh yeah, I totally agree. As for Mickey D's, I seldom eat there anyway. Dunkin Donuts on the other hand .... I'm trying hard to stay away from those with very mixed success!
    Thomas Jefferson

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by CSM View Post
    Oh yeah, I totally agree. As for Mickey D's, I seldom eat there anyway. Dunkin Donuts on the other hand .... I'm trying hard to stay away from those with very mixed success!
    I got burnt out on donuts when my family used to get them all the time for my kids. And Micky D's is pretty much there too.

Now chocolate on the other hand ...

But I have found out that if I drink a chocolate milk, my craving to eat chocolate is much less for the rest of the day.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    50 Post(s)

I got burnt out on donuts when my family used to get them all the time for my kids. And Micky D's is pretty much there too.

Now chocolate on the other hand ...

But I have found out that if I drink a chocolate milk, my craving to eat chocolate is much less for the rest of the day.
    I am trying to substitute the bad stuff with fruits and veggies but there is no way an orange compares to a donute no matter how hard I try to convince myself.
    Thomas Jefferson

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I am trying to substitute the bad stuff with fruits and veggies but there is no way an orange compares to a donute no matter how hard I try to convince myself.
    How about an orange-glazed donut?

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    50 Post(s)

How about an orange-glazed donut?

Hmmm ... I suspect they would just end up like the honey glazed stuff. Honey is good for you, right? LOL! I'm better off just avoiding the place. Let's face it, eating right is just plain hard to do. I'll keep working on it though.
    Thomas Jefferson

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Hmmm ... I suspect they would just end up like the honey glazed stuff. Honey is good for you, right? LOL! I'm better off just avoiding the place. Let's face it, eating right is just plain hard to do. I'll keep working on it though.
    Honey is better for you than some things but still has lots of sugars in it. It's the one food that won't spoil, btw.

You're correct - eating right can be hard. I actually gave up ... I hate to even say it ... all sugar ... including chocolate at one point. Fortunately, I recovered.

Did the Glycemic Index diet for a while too. Lots and lots of food, mostly veggies and beans. It was ok but I was always eating and it is expensive to eat good foods. Not sure it made all that much impact on my health.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    50 Post(s)

Honey is better for you than some things but still has lots of sugars in it. It's the one food that won't spoil, btw.

You're correct - eating right can be hard. I actually gave up ... I hate to even say it ... all sugar ... including chocolate at one point. Fortunately, I recovered.

Did the Glycemic Index diet for a while too. Lots and lots of food, mostly veggies and beans. It was ok but I was always eating and it is expensive to eat good foods. Not sure it made all that much impact on my health.

You make a good point though; it's more about being healthy than it is about weighing a certain amount. I suspect a person can be TOO skinny though that will never be my problem.
    Thomas Jefferson

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Unless you're overweight or have other health issues, why so concerned about "eating right?" Unless of course you can't just go in get one donut a morning and leave LOL.

Being in good shape is of course important, but what is the point if you are not enjoying your life? Have your freaking donut, not like you're not exercising.

My breakfast this morning was from a bakery in town , it's called a sausage roll. Basically it's half a pound of breakfast sausage (spicy) half a pound of cheese, wrapped in a donut like dough and deep fried. I of course exaggerate about the amount of meat and cheese, but it was a big roll.

Now for real, I don't eat that every morning, but if I want one once in awhile, I'm not gonna feel guilty about eating it, and you shouldn't feel guilty about your donut.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

You make a good point though; it's more about being healthy than it is about weighing a certain amount. I suspect a person can be TOO skinny though that will never be my problem.
    Most definitely. Usually going through a divorce will do that.

Just be as healthy as you can reasonably be and be happy. Happy trumps so much else. If we can't be happy in life, what is the point? To deny ourselves everything and leave a skinny corpse behind?

Enjoy your life. You can do that and still be reasonably healthy, right?

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Most definitely. Usually going through a divorce will do that.

Just be as healthy as you can reasonably be and be happy. Happy trumps so much else. If we can't be happy in life, what is the point? To deny ourselves everything and leave a skinny corpse behind?

Enjoy your life. You can do that and still be reasonably healthy, right?
    Not to mention a skinny person can obviously be unhealthy . High cholesterol or whatever even.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ConHog View Post
    Not to mention a skinny person can obviously be unhealthy . High cholesterol or whatever even.
    Precisely.