Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    88 Post(s)

Default Doomsday Preppers

Anyone else watching this new series on National Geographic Channel?
    If the freedom of speech is taken away
    then dumb and silent we may be led,
    like sheep to the slaughter.

George Washington (1732-1799) First President of the USA.

Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    139 Post(s)

I watched both episodes tuesday. Here's my take: Every group they showed seemed a LITTLE bit cooky, white-trash to a degree; except Miss "Progressive" who believes "Banding together" somehow makes one bullet-proof. I liked the show tossing up little 'facts' (I haven't verified what they showed) such as a pop-up to the comment "...the price of cocoa has gone up 300%!" by one lady. The pop-up read "In 2011, the price of cocoa has fallen 30%". The folks highlighted represent a lot of attitudes I've seen online; folks HOPING things work out. The first couple plinking their shipping-container house, at its strongest point, with a .22LR and claiming the structure provides protection from small arms fire - that was a joke.

Here's the rub most of us face: A 30.06 will dismantle most homes. Short of applying spaced steel plating inside our walls - and even that won't do a lot when shot with .50 - we can't hole-up. The show depressed me more than anything. I realized how far I am from being prepared for even a week - and I live on 10 acres of fertile ground, with a pond to host fish (should I put any inside it) and a barn for storage. Oh - another one...the 'gourmet' cook lady. 5000000lbs of food in your house won't do you much good when somebody sets your house on fire.
    “… the greatest detractor from high performance is fear: fear that you are not prepared, fear that you are in over your head, fear that you are not worthy, and ultimately, fear of failure. If you can eliminate that fear—not through arrogance or just wishing difficulties away, but through hard work and preparation—you will put yourself in an incredibly powerful position to take on the challenges you face" - Pete Carroll.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    88 Post(s)

i have a lot of rat poison stored.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Just curious, how long do these people think they can be self-sustainable?

Currently, I could go a week with my family of 5; two if I rationed.

Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    139 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by logroller View Post
    Just curious, how long do these people think they can be self-sustainable?

Currently, I could go a week with my family of 5; two if I rationed.

Some claimed to have enough food to feed themselves for 20 years.
    “… the greatest detractor from high performance is fear: fear that you are not prepared, fear that you are in over your head, fear that you are not worthy, and ultimately, fear of failure. If you can eliminate that fear—not through arrogance or just wishing difficulties away, but through hard work and preparation—you will put yourself in an incredibly powerful position to take on the challenges you face" - Pete Carroll.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

My ex-in-laws did this before Y2K. They were convince the world was going to fall apart. They had even convinced some others to prepare as well.

On the plus side, they had plenty of flour, beans, pancake mix, etc. for some years.
    Argue for your limitations, and sure enough, they're yours.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    369 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by dmp View Post
    I watched both episodes tuesday. Here's my take: Every group they showed seemed a LITTLE bit cooky, white-trash to a degree; except Miss "Progressive" who believes "Banding together" somehow makes one bullet-proof. I liked the show tossing up little 'facts' (I haven't verified what they showed) such as a pop-up to the comment "...the price of cocoa has gone up 300%!" by one lady. The pop-up read "In 2011, the price of cocoa has fallen 30%". The folks highlighted represent a lot of attitudes I've seen online; folks HOPING things work out. The first couple plinking their shipping-container house, at its strongest point, with a .22LR and claiming the structure provides protection from small arms fire - that was a joke.

Here's the rub most of us face: A 30.06 will dismantle most homes. Short of applying spaced steel plating inside our walls - and even that won't do a lot when shot with .50 - we can't hole-up. The show depressed me more than anything. I realized how far I am from being prepared for even a week - and I live on 10 acres of fertile ground, with a pond to host fish (should I put any inside it) and a barn for storage. Oh - another one...the 'gourmet' cook lady. 5000000lbs of food in your house won't do you much good when somebody sets your house on fire.
    Short answer: You don't "hole up" in your home. Nor anywhere else for that matter. A "holed up" guerilla force is a doomed force. You stash your crap around, have a plan to evade and escape, and strike when the opportunity presents itself.

Otherwise, it's just a matter of how many you can take with you and (Ret) Sheriff John Bunnell will be sure to chearlead the "good guys" and omit any legitimacy to your claim.
    “When bad men combine, the good must associate; else they will fall, one by one, an unpitied sacrifice in a contemptible struggle.” Edumnd Burke

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    88 Post(s)

I am not a prepper like these people. If total anarchy and a collapse of America were to prevail, I would probably decide to end my life rather than put my relatives at risk trying to get to me. However, one never knows what they will do to survive.

Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    139 Post(s)

Last episode featured a seemingly normal guy....until he nearly shot his thumb off.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    50 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Gunny View Post
    Short answer: You don't "hole up" in your home. Nor anywhere else for that matter. A "holed up" guerilla force is a doomed force. You stash your crap around, have a plan to evade and escape, and strike when the opportunity presents itself.

Otherwise, it's just a matter of how many you can take with you and (Ret) Sheriff John Bunnell will be sure to chearlead the "good guys" and omit any legitimacy to your claim.
    Yep.
    I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them.
    Thomas Jefferson

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Last episode featured a seemingly normal guy....until he nearly shot his thumb off.
    Argue for your limitations, and sure enough, they're yours.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

All I need is a 12 gauge and an axe, and I'm ready for the upcoming Zombie Apocalypse.

Headshots ftw!

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    50 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by RadiomanATL View Post
    All I need is a 12 gauge and an axe, and I'm ready for the upcoming Zombie Apocalypse.

Headshots ftw!
    It isn't the zombies that scare me, it's the bleeding heart liberals who will proclaim that being a zombie is just an alternate life style that we should embrace for diversity's sake.
    I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them.
    Thomas Jefferson

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    369 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by CSM View Post
    It isn't the zombies that scare me, it's the bleeding heart liberals who will proclaim that being a zombie is just an alternate life style that we should embrace for diversity's sake.
    That's no BS. We've already got one family of them running the White House. After some of the stuff I heard yesterday, these people are more scary than zombies.
    “When bad men combine, the good must associate; else they will fall, one by one, an unpitied sacrifice in a contemptible struggle.” Edumnd Burke

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I'm sure it was the guns fault.
    If ya can't prove it, don't say it.
    Bikes, babes, and beer, it don't get no better than that.