Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

I say shoot both the bastards and pitch the bodies in the nearest ditch......the sooner you do it, the sooner we can forget they were ever here.......this isn't a problem of not having a rule, it's a problem of two posters who intend to take everything to new heights to annoy the other.....
    ...full immersion.....

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by chloe View Post
    I don't think anyone should make fun of anyones family.

I guess defining flaming a family, if someone makes a statement about there looks and families looks as the hottest around and posts pictures, common sense says they are sharing something and appreciate feedback.

It's probably better not to say anything if you got nothing nice to say but if all you say is you don't find that type attractive or something along those lines I don't see it as flaming.
    Again, this is common sense, but would be a bad rule. If the world was filled only with people like you Chloe, we wouldn't need rules at all.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jimnyc View Post
    But what if a member posts a picture, and someone says MORE than just that they aren't attractive, but starts to become derogatory with terms towards the people in the picture? Is that flaming, or allowed since the member posted the picture him or herself?
    Of course it's flaming, that isn't the question. The question is is it acceptable since the person brought their own family member's looks up?

Of course as Log pointed out earlier, you DO actually have a rule on the books now that certainly could be enforced to the max, NO FLAMING period. I guess that's one option.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by logroller View Post
    Again, this is common sense, but would be a bad rule. If the world was filled only with people like you Chloe, we wouldn't need rules at all.
    Isn't that the truth............

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by PostmodernProphet View Post
    I say shoot both the bastards and pitch the bodies in the nearest ditch......the sooner you do it, the sooner we can forget they were ever here.......this isn't a problem of not having a rule, it's a problem of two posters who intend to take everything to new heights to annoy the other.....
    I believe the case was made that this thread wasn't meant to discuss past events, but just the general need or not of a rule.

However calling someone a bastard is also flaming, which goes back to my original point, we all flame to some degree.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    514 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ConHog View Post
    Of course it's flaming, that isn't the question. The question is is it acceptable since the person brought their own family member's looks up?

Of course as Log pointed out earlier, you DO actually have a rule on the books now that certainly could be enforced to the max, NO FLAMING period. I guess that's one option.
    Personally, if a member is kind enough to share a family photo with us, and no matter how much bragging they may do, I think it's flaming and unacceptable. It's also a sure way to prevent anyone else from posting pictures, knowing that it then allows other members to say inappropriate things about them. It's not always about whether or not it's a rule, whether its flaming or not - but rather that its just the wrong thing to do. If not everyone agrees with that, then it's time to make a rule "forcing" everyone to agree.
    “You know the world is going crazy when the best rapper is a white guy, the best golfer is a black guy, the tallest guy in the NBA is Chinese, the Swiss hold the America's Cup, France is accusing the U.S. of arrogance, Germany doesn't want to go to war, and the three most powerful men in America are named "Bush", "Dick", and "Colin." Need I say more?” - Chris Rock

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by PostmodernProphet View Post

Indeed, its flaming which is the issue, along with attacking another poster and derailing the thread-- both are rules. In the hypothetical above, are murder in the first degree and improper disposal of a body not sufficient to bring justice? We needn't make a new rule which says killing somebody AND improper disposal is wrong. Similarly, flaming/ using a personal vendetta to derail would suffice. NO NEW RULE.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

If a poster puts up a pic of his wife or kids etc. etc. etc., it doesn't matter what comment the poster says about his OWN family members you just don't say anything derogatory, thats it, nothing less, nothing more.

Of course we have some immature individuals or individual here who has to have everything spelled out for him/her, has to have everything in writing, and then when they do it and get the same back in return they cry.

Its the same common sense rules as there are in real life, you don't run your mouth about others family members just like you don't hit on your best buddies divorced wife. Some things are just known.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    66 Post(s)

How hard could it possibly be? If they're not a member of the board they are unable to defend themselves, they are therefore off limits. It's always been that way, even the most simple minded should know this. That's the unwritten rule.
    "I am allergic to piety, it makes me break out in rash judgements." - Penn Jillette
    "I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with a lot of pleasure." - Clarence Darrow
    "The man who invented the telescope found out more about heaven than the closed eyes of prayer ever discovered." - Robert G. Ingersoll

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Personally, if a member is kind enough to share a family photo with us, and no matter how much bragging they may do, I think it's flaming and unacceptable. It's also a sure way to prevent anyone else from posting pictures, knowing that it then allows other members to say inappropriate things about them. It's not always about whether or not it's a rule, whether its flaming or not - but rather that its just the wrong thing to do. If not everyone agrees with that, then it's time to make a rule "forcing" everyone to agree.
    I want to change my vote back to "make the rule", we have a few here who simply do not get the unwritten rules of manhood.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by hjmick View Post
    How hard could it possibly be? If they're not a member of the board they are unable to defend themselves, they are therefore off limits. It's always been that way, even the most simple minded should know this. That's the unwritten rule.
    From one of the "old school members" at that.

The new breed simply do not understand.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by OCA View Post
    I want to change my vote back to "make the rule", we have a few here who simply do not get the unwritten rules of manhood.
    I was complimentary to you both.

But I do have a question was that picture really you and your wife?

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Seems you've already decided and hence no reason to debate it even. And of course it's your board and therefor you're "right" to do. No debate about that.

But, by the same token, we all can acknowledge that if you were in a bar and busted out a pic of your wife and said "look how fucking hot she is" some joker would disagree just to be disagreeing. Is that flaming of the same degree as calling someone's wife a racial slur, or calling her a whore or similar? Of course it is not.

Which is exactly why I voted that yes, you should have a rule that states EXPLICITLY what is and what is NOT allowed. Simply saying hey be mature enough to do what's right is asking for trouble.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

While we're discussing this. Could we also discuss a similar question.

IF you feel a member broke a rule, written or unwritten, is the appropriate response to go nuclear and "give them back" 10X what you feel they did? Does their initial flaming warrant your own behavior? Can you then hide behind "hey I think it's wrong to do what I did, but s/he started it?"

And yes, I've been guilty of that one myself.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    514 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by chloe View Post
    I was complimentary to you both.

But I do have a question was that picture really you and your wife?
    Not sure where that matters.
    “You know the world is going crazy when the best rapper is a white guy, the best golfer is a black guy, the tallest guy in the NBA is Chinese, the Swiss hold the America's Cup, France is accusing the U.S. of arrogance, Germany doesn't want to go to war, and the three most powerful men in America are named "Bush", "Dick", and "Colin." Need I say more?” - Chris Rock