Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Logic, Facts-- its all 'Greek' to OCA Attaboy!
    from wikipedia
    Chris Christie was born in Newark, New Jersey, the son of Sondra A. (née Grasso) and Wilbur James "Bill" Christie, a certified public accountant.Christie is of Scottish, Irish, and Sicilian descent.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by logroller View Post
    Logic, Facts-- its all 'Greek' to OCA Attaboy!
    from wikipedia
    I saw that but it doesn't make sense. Don't know many Jersey Greeks but I think one of the major newscasts said he was Greek but his name was cut way down. His name in Greek would be Christos or Χριστος.

Oh well if i'm wrong i'm wrong but he stil gets an ATTABOY! Nice going Chris!

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

It would be cool to be named Χριστος , and I DO love gyros.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ConHog View Post
    It would be cool to be named Χριστος , and I DO love gyros.
    Lamb meat ground up, cooked and and sliced to look like bacon..what's not to love?

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Lamb meat ground up, cooked and and sliced to look like bacon..what's not to love?
    Not just lamb, combination of lamb and beef usually.................sometimes in Greece you get lamb, beef and pork together on the spit and its called "doner"...................its the shizzit!

Actually setting up the purchase of a whole lamb right now for Easter to put on the spit. You can't just go to Safeway and say "i'd like 1 whole lamb please"

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    371 Post(s)

I feel sorry for his secretary. You Greeks ain't exactly secret about you love of the nether region.
    “When bad men combine, the good must associate; else they will fall, one by one, an unpitied sacrifice in a contemptible struggle.” Edumnd Burke

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Gunny View Post
    I feel sorry for his secretary. You Greeks ain't exactly secret about you love of the nether region.
    Don't be jealous, maybe you are missing the boys back in the "patrida".

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by OCA View Post
    Not just lamb, combination of lamb and beef usually.................sometimes in Greece you get lamb, beef and pork together on the spit and its called "doner"...................its the shizzit!

Actually setting up the purchase of a whole lamb right now for Easter to put on the spit. You can't just go to Safeway and say "i'd like 1 whole lamb please"
    Oh. its a blend. That explains why mine never have the same flavor as those I get at the local Greek festival. Good to know. That's cool you cook on a spit; I think cultural cooking rituals are the best way to understand another culture--I'm redneck,(Dutch-Irish-Cherokee) so I'm all cooking tough/cheap meat for hours on the smoker-- which pretty much entails playing with fire and getting drunk.

I have a philosophy class and the professor is Greek; which, alone, is stereotypical enough. But in class one day she, upon hearing a classmate and I using a word, said, "You know, that's a Greek word,[whatever it was], it means [whatever it means].....SO THERE YOU ARE!" I looked at my classmate and said, dude have you seen my big fat Greek Wedding?, that's almost the exact line the dad uses-- freakin Hilarious.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Oh. its a blend. That explains why mine never have the same flavor as those I get at the local Greek festival. Good to know. That's cool you cook on a spit; I think cultural cooking rituals are the best way to understand another culture--I'm redneck,(Dutch-Irish-Cherokee) so I'm all cooking tough/cheap meat for hours on the smoker-- which pretty much entails playing with fire and getting drunk.

I have a philosophy class and the professor is Greek; which, alone, is stereotypical enough. But in class one day she, upon hearing a classmate and I using a word, said, "You know, that's a Greek word,[whatever it was], it means [whatever it means].....SO THERE YOU ARE!" I looked at my classmate and said, dude have you seen my big fat Greek Wedding?, that's almost the exact line the dad uses-- freakin Hilarious.
    Big Fat Greek Wedding was funny the first couple times I saw it bet then I realized it was making fun of us though.

Funny thing is though I know a few "FOBS" in real life who are exactly like some of the characters in the movie!

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Big Fat Greek Wedding was funny the first couple times I saw it bet then I realized it was making fun of us though.

Funny thing is though I know a few "FOBS" in real life who are exactly like some of the characters in the movie!
    Well correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't it written by a Greek-- so really, your people were making fun of themselves. Though I think its great when people retain their culture, analyze the different parts which aren't that unique singularly, but give a unique glance at how those intricacies interrelate when combined, making for a unique portrait of an individual faced with the amalgamation that is American culture. I mean, I'm Irish and Cherokee primarily-- and like to commune around fire, drinking beer and whiskey, smoking tobacco, getting into deep, sometimes heated discussions. Things some people make fun of, because that's not how their cultural upbringing was--but I'm unashamed of who I am and where I come from. Trying to piss off my balcony?, well, first off, I don't remember that, but I do like to pissing outside, its my native american roots

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

That's when having a brother in food wholesale comes in handy. He has a source for Gyro meat that is mixed lamb and beef, pretty fucking good, I grill mine on a rotisserie. Served with pitas and homemade tzatziki sauce. YUM.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Well correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't it written by a Greek-- so really, your people were making fun of themselves. Though I think its great when people retain their culture, analyze the different parts which aren't that unique singularly, but give a unique glance at how those intricacies interrelate when combined, making for a unique portrait of an individual faced with the amalgamation that is American culture. I mean, I'm Irish and Cherokee primarily-- and like to commune around fire, drinking beer and whiskey, smoking tobacco, getting into deep, sometimes heated discussions. Things some people make fun of, because that's not how their cultural upbringing was--but I'm unashamed of who I am and where I come from. Trying to piss off my balcony?, well, first off, I don't remember that, but I do like to pissing outside, its my native american roots
    Yes it was, Nia Vardalos, a Canadian-Greek but she is about as "Greek" as I am Vietnamese. She was a guest of honor at a function 1 time and she tried to give the speech in Greek............totally fucking mangled it but you could tell in the movie that she wasn't a regular speaker.............kind of like me trying to say "como estas compadre"........no accent whatsoever.

She just went a little over the top in the movie thats all.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Yes it was, Nia Vardalos, a Canadian-Greek but she is about as "Greek" as I am Vietnamese. She was a guest of honor at a function 1 time and she tried to give the speech in Greek............totally fucking mangled it but you could tell in the movie that she wasn't a regular speaker.............kind of like me trying to say "como estas compadre"........no accent whatsoever.

She just went a little over the top in the movie thats all.
    That of course was the intent. Sort of like all the "Italians" in The Godfather.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ConHog View Post
    That of course was the intent. Sort of like all the "Italians" in The Godfather.
    The Godfather was a great flick but yeah it was over the top.

Goodfellas...............that shit wasn't over the top...................it was how it is. Not saying it represents all Italians but it was a straight shooter when it came to representing mob guineas.