Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default A question about the flame zone

and not directed at anyone in particular since I neither know nor care who closed what. But why close threads in the flame zone? They're supposed to be no holds barred, no rules (for the most part) flame threads, but over the months I've been a member here I've seen MANY threads get closed (and not all of them have been about me, from me , or even involving me so I want to dispel the notion that I'm "whining" here. I'm not, I'm asking a question about the supposed lack of rules in the flame forum yet many threads end up getting closed.

I suppose in the grand scheme of things it doesn't matter, but I'm just curious as to how one closes what is supposed to be essentially an unmoderated thread.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

My guess would be that even in the flame zone/steel cage the admin team will lock them because nothing further is to be gained and they get tired of the uselessness of the thread. Plus, in some cases, it reflects poorly on the posters and then the board overall.

But that's just a guess.
    Argue for your limitations, and sure enough, they're yours.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Jess View Post
    My guess would be that even in the flame zone/steel cage the admin team will lock them because nothing further is to be gained and they get tired of the uselessness of the thread. Plus, in some cases, it reflects poorly on the posters and then the board overall.

But that's just a guess.

That's my guess as well, when certain posters say things that maybe others don't want to be seen coming from those certain posters lock and delete. Probably a good policy.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ConHog View Post
    That's my guess as well, when certain posters say things that maybe others don't want to be seen coming from those certain posters lock and delete. Probably a good policy.
    Each and every one of us has the option of posting here. And with that, we accept that the board owner and admin staff are in charge. It's not a freakin' democracy. If we don't like it, we find someplace else to post, not try to make the board change to suit us.

One of the best boards I've been on allowed very, very little bitching/flaming/fighting. This one is pretty damned good too. If a thread gets locked, especially in the steel cage - who cares? Aren't there enough different forums to post in?

I just don't get it.
    Argue for your limitations, and sure enough, they're yours.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    514 Post(s)

These are staff decisions and are better if addressed via pm...

Anyway, believe it or not, some threads, even when in the cage, have a "little" bit of a purpose. If it gets out of hand, even for the Cage area, or I just grow tired of intervening, I'll lock it up. Sometimes though, it's best to let the fighting continue to keep it from extending out to otherwise good threads in the political sections.
    “You know the world is going crazy when the best rapper is a white guy, the best golfer is a black guy, the tallest guy in the NBA is Chinese, the Swiss hold the America's Cup, France is accusing the U.S. of arrogance, Germany doesn't want to go to war, and the three most powerful men in America are named "Bush", "Dick", and "Colin." Need I say more?” - Chris Rock

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    181 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jimnyc View Post

Anyway, believe it or not, some threads, even when in the cage, have a "little" bit of a purpose. If it gets out of hand, even for the Cage area, or I just grow tired of intervening, I'll lock it up. Sometimes though, it's best to let the fighting continue to keep it from extending out to otherwise good threads in the political sections.
    Like containing a virus.
    After the game, the king and the pawn go into the same box - Author unknown

“Unfortunately, the truth is now whatever the media say it is”
    -Abbey

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jimnyc View Post

That's a fair enough answer. Just seemed to me that if a forum is advertised as no rules then nothing would able to be done which caused a thread to be closed.

No attempt to step on toes though.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Jess View Post
    Each and every one of us has the option of posting here. And with that, we accept that the board owner and admin staff are in charge. It's not a freakin' democracy. If we don't like it, we find someplace else to post, not try to make the board change to suit us.

One of the best boards I've been on allowed very, very little bitching/flaming/fighting. This one is pretty damned good too. If a thread gets locked, especially in the steel cage - who cares? Aren't there enough different forums to post in?

I just don't get it.
    You've misunderstood, and I really don't see how , I made it plainly clear I'm not complaining. I just simply asked a question. I have on NUMEROUS occasions agreed that Jim as the owner absolutely has the right to do whatever he wants on the board, and so I don't know disagree with that.