Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    139 Post(s)

Default Real food - is that too much to ask?

Great TEDx video regarding cleaning up the food industry.

http://www.wimp.com/realfood/

Watch that -then dig up youtubes for Food, Inc.

Now - after watching those, think about our Government shutting down Amish farms and other raw, real food establishments. When I close my mind I envision a nation where the Government raises our kids after birth, controls/demands our diets, and removes any form of resistance 'for our own good/safety'.
    “… the greatest detractor from high performance is fear: fear that you are not prepared, fear that you are in over your head, fear that you are not worthy, and ultimately, fear of failure. If you can eliminate that fear—not through arrogance or just wishing difficulties away, but through hard work and preparation—you will put yourself in an incredibly powerful position to take on the challenges you face" - Pete Carroll.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Well, come on, D - teachers know better than parents what is best for their kids, so it only makes sense the government knows what is best for us in all those other things too ...

Debbie Squires, education official at the Michigan Elementary and Middle School Principals Association (MEMSPA), has sparked some controversy after telling the House Education Committee in a hearing for a new school choice package, that teachers know better than parents what's best for their children, MLive.com reports.
    http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/0...n_1264025.html
    Argue for your limitations, and sure enough, they're yours.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by dmp View Post
    Great TEDx video regarding cleaning up the food industry.

http://www.wimp.com/realfood/

Watch that -then dig up youtubes for Food, Inc.

Now - after watching those, think about our Government shutting down Amish farms and other raw, real food establishments. When I close my mind I envision a nation where the Government raises our kids after birth, controls/demands our diets, and removes any form of resistance 'for our own good/safety'.
    Obamajugend.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Jess View Post
    Well, come on, D - teachers know better than parents what is best for their kids, so it only makes sense the government knows what is best for us in all those other things too ...

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/0...n_1264025.html
    There are a lot of stupid parents out there who put their child's best interests very far back on their priority list , if they are there at all, but I'd vote to terminate any of my teachers who actually voiced such an opinion. The idea is to encourage parents to engage and aid in their child's education, not say " we know what's best, shut up!"

Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    139 Post(s)

Society does not have the job, but it takes it, saving parents from aforementioned 'stupid' parents. If a kid has stupid parents, it's their lot in life - the responsibility of the kid to over-come.
    “… the greatest detractor from high performance is fear: fear that you are not prepared, fear that you are in over your head, fear that you are not worthy, and ultimately, fear of failure. If you can eliminate that fear—not through arrogance or just wishing difficulties away, but through hard work and preparation—you will put yourself in an incredibly powerful position to take on the challenges you face" - Pete Carroll.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Society does not have the job, but it takes it, saving parents from aforementioned 'stupid' parents. If a kid has stupid parents, it's their lot in life - the responsibility of the kid to over-come.
    It's a catch 22 . Schools SHOULDN'T be parenting, but parents have dumped it on them. When a student who has shitty parenting acts up, he is disrupting not just his education but that of those around him. In an ideal world we'd just send his ass home and tell his parents to keep him there until he can behave. But that of course isn't how it works. So schools take the "easier" route and they become parents as well as educators.

Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    139 Post(s)

If a kid acts-up due to shitty parenting, the right answer is to ban the kid from school. Not to try to become surrogate parents.

But this thread is about the foods we eat -which generally suck.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

If a kid acts-up due to shitty parenting, the right answer is to ban the kid from school. Not to try to become surrogate parents.

But this thread is about the foods we eat -which generally suck.
    I agree on both counts.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    54 Post(s)

It's a wonderful Catch 22. We demand schools serve healthy meals. Trouble is, schools feeds hundreds (and thousands) with limited resources. And unlimited input from those who don't often bother at home.

What I find interesting is that the same people who protest unhealthy food often take their kids out to McDonalds or Taco Bell. Which are about as far from "healthy" as you can get.

Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    139 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by gabosaurus View Post
    It's a wonderful Catch 22. We demand schools serve healthy meals. Trouble is, schools feeds hundreds (and thousands) with limited resources. And unlimited input from those who don't often bother at home.

What I find interesting is that the same people who protest unhealthy food often take their kids out to McDonalds or Taco Bell. Which are about as far from "healthy" as you can get.

WHO demands it? I certainly don't. I demand schools get out of the food industry. YOU demand stuff from schools; you and your fools who are so-committed to the downfall of our society with your terrible, TERRIBLE ideas on how to govern, run, and educate.

What I find interesting is the same people who claim to be in the education field are woefully inept and ignorant of ideas concerning policies, lessons, and plans that are good, true, and right.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

WHO demands it? I certainly don't. I demand schools get out of the food industry. YOU demand stuff from schools; you and your fools who are so-committed to the downfall of our society with your terrible, TERRIBLE ideas on how to govern, run, and educate.

What I find interesting is the same people who claim to be in the education field are woefully inept and ignorant of ideas concerning policies, lessons, and plans that are good, true, and right.
    I think - make that I KNOW - that I can make a case that providing meals for school students increases their chances of academic success.

Now of course you can come back with parents should be providing meals and you are absolutely correct, Please start telling as many people as you can that they need to start raising their own damned kids and let our schools concentrate on education. Good luck convincing them.

Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    139 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ConHog View Post
    I think - make that I KNOW - that I can make a case that providing meals for school students increases their chances of academic success.
    First problem: Define Success. Second problem define: increased chances. Third problem: Do not use statistics. Forth problem: Tie the meal from the school as the DEFINING or significantly-contributing factor to 'increased chances' and 'success' - again, after you defined those. Fifth: Explain why it's my problem (via my tax dollars) if another person's kid has (properly defined) increased chances for (properly defined) success.

Now of course you can come back with parents should be providing meals and you are absolutely correct, Please start telling as many people as you can that they need to start raising their own damned kids and let our schools concentrate on education. Good luck convincing them.
    You're what we call an 'enabler'.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

First problem: Define Success. Second problem define: increased chances. Third problem: Do not use statistics. Forth problem: Tie the meal from the school as the DEFINING or significantly-contributing factor to 'increased chances' and 'success' - again, after you defined those. Fifth: Explain why it's my problem (via my tax dollars) if another person's kid has (properly defined) increased chances for (properly defined) success.

You're what we call an 'enabler'.
    Simple. If we give kids every advantage to succeed they are less likely to need government assistance later on in life.

Of all the government waste are you really going to quibble over school lunches?

Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    139 Post(s)

Simple. If we give kids every advantage to succeed they are less likely to need government assistance later on in life.
    Or, eliminate the gov't assistance later in life and kids have a stronger motivation to succeed.

Of all the government waste are you really going to quibble over school lunches?
    Red Herring.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    368 Post(s)

I'm your huckleberry.

There isn't a quibble because I'll be damned if anyone is telling me what to feed my kids. They need government assistance because the government is feeding them its own PC BS. I was 5'10" and 150 lbs in junion high. I had a sandwich, chips, fruit, a drink and desert EVERY day.

Obviously, it's not the food itself.

I also played EVERy sport in the world (that requires balls, anyway). I built my own bicycles and wrecked them jumping shitcans as fast as I could build them. Maybe people ought to quit looking for the government to bail out their own lack of responsibility and try being parents.
    “When bad men combine, the good must associate; else they will fall, one by one, an unpitied sacrifice in a contemptible struggle.” Edumnd Burke