Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    54 Post(s)

The number one complaint about schools is "why do you serve free breakfast and/or lunch."
    The answer is "kids have to eat somehow."
    Schools can't require parents to feed their kids. Schools are required to educate kids. The best way to get kids to come to school is to offer them something to eat. No one can learn anything if they are hungry.
    In our schools, breakfast is often followed by tutoring sessions. Or study time.
    Kids shouldn't be punished for the sins of their parents. Some kids get the only love and respect in their lives in school.
    Schools are not the military. Those who make mistakes or fail to do their jobs can't be made to do physical, or yelled at for an hour.
    Yes, you can find singular instances where policies have been abused. I can match them with 10 instances where they aren't.

Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    139 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ConHog View Post
    I didn't attempt to change the subject, I merely answered the charge that a school 's place is to teach a kid that choices have consequences. The answer to that is no.
    You're answering a charge you made?

Now let's go back to food for kids.

Here is in a nutshell why I support feeding kids who either can't afford it or who simnply have parents who don't bother. ANd yes we have kids in our elementary school even who get themselves up and on the school bus every morning while either parents are working or sleeping. That's a reality. Now in some of those cases mom/dad will pay ahead of time for lunch, so its not in EVERY such situation that the parents are losers who need our help. BUT there are some situations where the kid gets up , and gets on the bus, not only with no lunch, but not having had any breakfast, and in some cases without having had even a shower. And yes, we provide that to if needed (donated soap and luandry services for towels.)

Now here's two reasons I support that.

1) Because kids are mean and will pick on other kids for ANYTHING including being dirty and or hungry/without lunch at lunch time. By providing them with a meal that NO ONE else knows is reduced or free we eliminate that possibility, and keeping kids safe from bullies most assuredly is a school's job.

2) A more nourished student is a better student. I'm not talking about life lessons here, I'm talking about school subjects. That is also a fact, a student who is hungry will not concentrate or do as well as a student who is not hungry. So we get them doing better in school, then they are more likely to graduate and even go on to college. You can scoff if you like, but that's true. And the more educated they are , the less likely that they will be welfare later in life. And let's face it welfare isn't going anywhere. So why not make a small investment early to try to prevent a welfare leach from ever being created?
    In short, you're worried a kid might 'feel bad'. If a kid feels bad, you'd feel bad.
    “… the greatest detractor from high performance is fear: fear that you are not prepared, fear that you are in over your head, fear that you are not worthy, and ultimately, fear of failure. If you can eliminate that fear—not through arrogance or just wishing difficulties away, but through hard work and preparation—you will put yourself in an incredibly powerful position to take on the challenges you face" - Pete Carroll.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by dmp View Post
    You're answering a charge you made?

In short, you're worried a kid might 'feel bad'. If a kid feels bad, you'd feel bad.
    what? I didn't say anything about a kid feeling bad, I DID say something about a kid being picked on and being hungry.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

There are kids with parents that do not or can not dress their kids properly, the kids do not have the right clothing for bad weather. No one can learn anything if they are cold or uncomfortable in their cloths. The answer is "kids have to be clothed somehow."

There are kids that have very poor hygiene, their teeth are bad, their hair is dirty, they smell bad. Kids shouldn't be punished for the sins of their parents. The answer is "kids have to be cleaned somehow."

Some kids get the only love and respect in their lives in school. So schools should be dressing and cleaning and feeding the childern of this country. Schools may overeach in a few singular instances, but for every one there would be 10 that were not!

Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    139 Post(s)

what? I didn't say anything about a kid feeling bad, I DID say something about a kid being picked on and being hungry.
    I summarized your 'argument'.

Your argument speaks to my comment: You don't like how you feel if a kid feels hungry. Thus, it's the responsibility of the entire population to keep that from happening.

Then, you went on to make wild claims and broad statements of "fact" without basis in data. I left those alone.
    “… the greatest detractor from high performance is fear: fear that you are not prepared, fear that you are in over your head, fear that you are not worthy, and ultimately, fear of failure. If you can eliminate that fear—not through arrogance or just wishing difficulties away, but through hard work and preparation—you will put yourself in an incredibly powerful position to take on the challenges you face" - Pete Carroll.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    368 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by MtnBiker View Post
    There are kids with parents that do not or can not dress their kids properly, the kids do not have the right clothing for bad weather. No one can learn anything if they are cold or uncomfortable in their cloths. The answer is "kids have to be clothed somehow."

There are kids that have very poor hygiene, their teeth are bad, their hair is dirty, they smell bad. Kids shouldn't be punished for the sins of their parents. The answer is "kids have to be cleaned somehow."

Some kids get the only love and respect in their lives in school. So schools should be dressing and cleaning and feeding the childern of this country. Schools may overeach in a few singular instances, but for every one there would be 10 that were not!
    Then take those kids away from their parent(s).

Good parents shouldn't be punished because there are crappy ones out there. That's the whole problem with this Nation anymore. We cater to the 10% of screwups rather than forcing THEM to get with the program. Not sure about you, but I have an issue with forcing 90% to comply with 10% rather than the other way around.
    “When bad men combine, the good must associate; else they will fall, one by one, an unpitied sacrifice in a contemptible struggle.” Edumnd Burke

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Gunny View Post
    Then take those kids away from their parent(s).

Good parents shouldn't be punished because there are crappy ones out there. That's the whole problem with this Nation anymore. We cater to the 10% of screwups rather than forcing THEM to get with the program. Not sure about you, but I have an issue with forcing 90% to comply with 10% rather than the other way around.
    Hey Gunny, I was riding the sarcasm train.

Bad parenting can be used to justify a multitude of government school intervention. I mean, let's not forget that some kids do not have a restfull night's sleep because their parents do not provide proper beds, in fact it can be lethal in some cases. The answer is "kids have to sleep somehow". Schools should provide dormitories for kids so they can have a good night's sleep.

http://www.wisn.com/r/29858064/detail.html

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

well, in actuality, I'm FOR school uniforms, so I guess you got me there. But no one is suggesting anything about dental care, or haircuts.

Hey Gunny, I was riding the sarcasm train.

Bad parenting can be used to justify a multitude of government school intervention. I mean, let's not forget that some kids do not have a restfull night's sleep because their parents do not provide proper beds, in fact it can be lethal in some cases. The answer is "kids have to sleep somehow". Schools should provide dormitories for kids so they can have a good night's sleep.

http://www.wisn.com/r/29858064/detail.html

Why do some of you act like being conservative means being the biggest , meanest dicks you can possibly be? They're fucking kids , feed them and shut up. If you're that mean spirited figure out how much of your tax money is going towards giving kid free or reduced priced lunches , arrange the appropriate paperwork, PM me and I'll send you a check for that amount.

Sheesh

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    204 Post(s)

Why do some of you act like being conservative means being the biggest , meanest dicks you can possibly be? They're fucking kids , feed them and shut up. If you're that mean spirited figure out how much of your tax money is going towards giving kid free or reduced priced lunches , arrange the appropriate paperwork, PM me and I'll send you a check for that amount.

Sheesh
    The same parents that can't find a way to feed their kids lunch, breakfast, dinner, are unlikely to cloth or tend to their medical/dental needs. They are also unlikely to have them in bed at a reasonable hour or provide the reasonable survey of their work. It doesn't take mastery to help the child, but interest.

"The government is a child that has found their parents credit card, and spends knowing that they never have to reconcile the bill with their own money"-Shannon Churchill

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Kathianne View Post
    The same parents that can't find a way to feed their kids lunch, breakfast, dinner, are unlikely to cloth or tend to their medical/dental needs. They are also unlikely to have them in bed at a reasonable hour or provide the reasonable survey of their work. It doesn't take mastery to help the child, but interest.
    No doubt there, and obviously there has to be a line where the school just can't do anymore. Providing a $3 lunch as compared to providing medical care are obviously not on the same plane.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Sheesh
    Lighten up Francis. My actual concern is not kids having a good meal, but people justifying the roll of schools (government) based on their perception of bad parents. Whose standard of parenting is used? How far will people go in justifying the roll of government in kids lives.

Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    139 Post(s)

No doubt there, and obviously there has to be a line where the school just can't do anymore. Providing a $3 lunch as compared to providing medical care are obviously not on the same plane.
    ...yet freezing/cutting Federal Employee pay/salaries is a good thing? Lots of things are nothing but proverbial drops in buckets. But, they add up.

Look - here's the whole deal. No matter what, I am tired of FORCED charity in every form. Paying for the lunch of probably obese kids, or at the very least non-starving kids, burns my britches.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    181 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by dmp View Post
    You wrote the government, by denying lunches in this case, is somehow 'teaching parents a lesson'. that's the link. Maybe kids would learn BETTER with less food in some cases? Thus, by not sending my kid with a lunch I might be trying to enhance the education he/she receives. If I believe that's the case, the government should butt-out and let me decide when my kid eats lunch, or what he/she eats.
    I usually feel more alert before I eat than afterward. After lunch, I usually feel like having a siesta. As long as the hunger isn't so bad that I can't concentrate. A couple of crackers would allay that.
    After the game, the king and the pawn go into the same box - Author unknown

“Unfortunately, the truth is now whatever the media say it is”
    -Abbey

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    204 Post(s)

Lighten up Francis. My actual concern is not kids having a good meal, but people justifying the roll of schools (government) based on their perception of bad parents. Whose standard of parenting is used? How far will people go in justifying the roll of government in kids lives.
    The 'truly poor' should have access to food. Between WIC and food stamps, seems that should be be mostly covered. Those who make too much may avail themselves to food pantries.

So what is the deal with schools? Why should a parent that qualifies for WIC and Food stamps, need free lunches/breakfasts/dinners for their children? How many times does one kid count?

"The government is a child that has found their parents credit card, and spends knowing that they never have to reconcile the bill with their own money"-Shannon Churchill

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    181 Post(s)

well, in actuality, I'm FOR school uniforms, so I guess you got me there. But no one is suggesting anything about dental care, or haircuts.

Sheesh
    Our district takes preschoolers to their dental appointments. What you need to see, Con, is that there is no end to where the nanny state will go, on our dime.
    After the game, the king and the pawn go into the same box - Author unknown

“Unfortunately, the truth is now whatever the media say it is”
    -Abbey