Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    50 Post(s)

Default Still sore

In the middle of week 20 (I know, who's counting?) and did a cross fit METCON yesterday. Feeling it today for sure but the good thing is I completed 5 sets in 6 minutes and 17 secs. Did the same METCON about two months ago at 17 minutes plus. I guess I am getting better!
    I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them.
    Thomas Jefferson

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    514 Post(s)

Good for you for sticking with it! Do you ever use a sauna? I sit in there for 15-20mins after most workouts and it has done wonders for my sore muscles! That and hot baths have cured a lot of that for me. But if your workout is REAL intense, you're not going to avoid the suffering!
    “You know the world is going crazy when the best rapper is a white guy, the best golfer is a black guy, the tallest guy in the NBA is Chinese, the Swiss hold the America's Cup, France is accusing the U.S. of arrogance, Germany doesn't want to go to war, and the three most powerful men in America are named "Bush", "Dick", and "Colin." Need I say more?” - Chris Rock

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    50 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jimnyc View Post
    Good for you for sticking with it! Do you ever use a sauna? I sit in there for 15-20mins after most workouts and it has done wonders for my sore muscles! That and hot baths have cured a lot of that for me. But if your workout is REAL intense, you're not going to avoid the suffering!
    I have not tried that. Hot showers do seem to help. My problem is that at my age it's difficult to tell what is due to workout and what is due to old age.... heh.
    I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them.
    Thomas Jefferson

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)

For a mix up try the 300 workout, the goal is under 20 minutes, my best time was 18:25. i havent done it in a while but am working my back up to it.

Start with
    25 pullups
    50 push ups
    50 deadlift with 135lbs
    50 wipers ( lay on the ground with the deadlift bar and "bench" it hold it and bring your feet up together and "wipe side to side" to each weight plate.
    50 clean and press with kettle bells each arm (40 lbs)
    50 24 inch jumps
    25 pullups

Its a bitch to do but I tell you, you will feel great in about 3-4 days.....

Fist time I tried it it took me 45 minutes, its a full body workout that really keeps you hopping!!!
    Experience is what you get when you don't get what you want." -Dr. Randy Pausch

Death is lighter than a feather, Duty is heavier than a mountain

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    514 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Nukeman View Post
    For a mix up try the 300 workout, the goal is under 20 minutes, my best time was 18:25. i havent done it in a while but am working my back up to it.

Start with
    25 pullups
    50 push ups
    50 deadlift with 135lbs
    50 wipers ( lay on the ground with the deadlift bar and "bench" it hold it and bring your feet up together and "wipe side to side" to each weight plate.
    50 24 inch jumps
    25 pullups

Fist time I tried it it took me 45 minutes, its a full body workout that really keeps you hopping!!!
    Wow, that's a hell of a workout! I think I'd end up in the hospital! LOL
    “You know the world is going crazy when the best rapper is a white guy, the best golfer is a black guy, the tallest guy in the NBA is Chinese, the Swiss hold the America's Cup, France is accusing the U.S. of arrogance, Germany doesn't want to go to war, and the three most powerful men in America are named "Bush", "Dick", and "Colin." Need I say more?” - Chris Rock

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    369 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Nukeman View Post

Start with
    25 pullups
    50 push ups
    50 deadlift with 135lbs
    50 24 inch jumps
    25 pullups

Hmmm .... I might five that one a shot. Problem you have with old vets are a "few" injuries that have to be worked around. 24 inch jumps are OUT. I'd sure enough have to get that knee surgery. I'm not thinking the deadlifts are all that great an idea either. One, most people of "advanced age" already have back issues.

I don't. However, I DO know from years of powerlifting, to NEVER mix deadlifts and clean and press's.

Overall though, it appears quite the formidable workout.
    “When bad men combine, the good must associate; else they will fall, one by one, an unpitied sacrifice in a contemptible struggle.” Edumnd Burke

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    50 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Gunny View Post
    Hmmm .... I might five that one a shot. Problem you have with old vets are a "few" injuries that have to be worked around. 24 inch jumps are OUT. I'd sure enough have to get that knee surgery. I'm not thinking the deadlifts are all that great an idea either. One, most people of "advanced age" already have back issues.

I don't. However, I DO know from years of powerlifting, to NEVER mix deadlifts and clean and press's.

Overall though, it appears quite the formidable workout.
    Yeah, I have to work around a few of the cross fit exercises because of old injuries. I just do what I can and don't worry about it since I am not looking for competition with anyone but myself.
    Thomas Jefferson

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    369 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by CSM View Post
    Yeah, I have to work around a few of the cross fit exercises because of old injuries. I just do what I can and don't worry about it since I am not looking for competition with anyone but myself.
    I saw some Crossfit Challenge or some such show on ESPN one night. I actually enjoyed it. While not believable for the average joe, it was STILL more believable than World's Strongest Man. I like that one too, but it's a bit over the top.

So where did you come up with Crossfit training workouts?
    “When bad men combine, the good must associate; else they will fall, one by one, an unpitied sacrifice in a contemptible struggle.” Edumnd Burke

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    369 Post(s)

MY little workout, if relegated to one would be: Situps - 5 sets x 100. Run 3 miles. 10 sets of barbell clean and press x 7 reps. Martial arts for 30-60 minutes. If you're REALLY lucky, an hour or 2 playing full-court basketball.

This of course would be the opportune moment to play All In the Family's "Those Were the Days". Alternating different weight training from the clean and press, I did that every day more or less for over 15 years. I'd probably need a Hoveround if I tried it now.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    50 Post(s)

I saw some Crossfit Challenge or some such show on ESPN one night. I actually enjoyed it. While not believable for the average joe, it was STILL more believable than World's Strongest Man. I like that one too, but it's a bit over the top.

So where did you come up with Crossfit training workouts?

http://crossfit.com/

I am a beginner for sure and have to modify a few because of age/injuries but am getting to really like the workouts. Great cardio and my stamina is far better.
    Thomas Jefferson

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    369 Post(s)

http://crossfit.com/

I am a beginner for sure and have to modify a few because of age/injuries but am getting to really like the workouts. Great cardio and my stamina is far better.
    Heh ... I get my stamina "ego boost" working with a 70 years old man. Unfortunately, I also at times work with Jess's sister. She could shame most recruits. I have to EARN my money those days.

I did like the Crossfit competition though. Especially since the guy I was rooting for won!

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    50 Post(s)

Heh ... I get my stamina "ego boost" working with a 70 years old man. Unfortunately, I also at times work with Jess's sister. She could shame most recruits. I have to EARN my money those days.

I did like the Crossfit competition though. Especially since the guy I was rooting for won!
    My son the First Sergeant got me into it. He's a beast. His younger brother is even more of a beast. We work out together when we can which usually translates into five or six days a week at the gym. Monday is upper body strength training, Wedensday is Olympic lifts and Friday is lower body strength training. Tuesday and Saturday is crossfit. Thursday and Sunday is off days. I am not a runner but once in a while try the two miles for time .... I am slow but steady LOL.
    I sit at a computer all day so ANY exercise is nothing but good for me. I want to have enough strength to put my walker in the car when I get to that point!
    Thomas Jefferson

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    369 Post(s)

My son the First Sergeant got me into it. He's a beast. His younger brother is even more of a beast. We work out together when we can which usually translates into five or six days a week at the gym. Monday is upper body strength training, Wedensday is Olympic lifts and Friday is lower body strength training. Tuesday and Saturday is crossfit. Thursday and Sunday is off days. I am not a runner but once in a while try the two miles for time .... I am slow but steady LOL.
    I sit at a computer all day so ANY exercise is nothing but good for me. I want to have enough strength to put my walker in the car when I get to that point!
    Ah. You touched upon something I was just pondering a few minutes ago. I usually work 3 days a week, but it's manual labor. I have to factor that in to what I do the day before. I can vividly recall the day I did my clean and press workout on Tuesday, and spent Wed carrying two Homer buckets filled with plaster and other assorted debris about 75 feet from the basement window to the trailer. Fortunately, I was working for the aforementioned old guy, and he caved first.

The hardest part for me to get him and Jess to do was NOT load the damned bucket to the brim. It was funny enough watching them screw up lifting them into the window, but then, I had to carry the damned things. I figure I did okay. Two of them and I kept up. But it wasn't fun. I just refused to fall behind or lose.

Still have my moments.

As far as workouts go, I have about 600 lbs of Olympic weights. In storage in Texas. What I have now is maybe 200 lbs of weights Jess's sister had stored in her corn crib for years. I'm making do with what I have until I can come up with more. My pullup bar is an old weight bar across the rafters in the garage, secured in place by deck screws on each side of the bar.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    50 Post(s)

Ah. You touched upon something I was just pondering a few minutes ago. I usually work 3 days a week, but it's manual labor. I have to factor that in to what I do the day before. I can vividly recall the day I did my clean and press workout on Tuesday, and spent Wed carrying two Homer buckets filled with plaster and other assorted debris about 75 feet from the basement window to the trailer. Fortunately, I was working for the aforementioned old guy, and he caved first.

The hardest part for me to get him and Jess to do was NOT load the damned bucket to the brim. It was funny enough watching them screw up lifting them into the window, but then, I had to carry the damned things. I figure I did okay. Two of them and I kept up. But it wasn't fun. I just refused to fall behind or lose.

Still have my moments.

As far as workouts go, I have about 600 lbs of Olympic weights. In storage in Texas. What I have now is maybe 200 lbs of weights Jess's sister had stored in her corn crib for years. I'm making do with what I have until I can come up with more. My pullup bar is an old weight bar across the rafters in the garage, secured in place by deck screws on each side of the bar.
    Hey it works for you doesn't it? I joined a gym for $20 a month. Had treadmills and home gyms and all that crap but they just collected clothes. This time I was determined to make it work so I joined a gym close to home because it forces me to get off my fat ass. I go right after work on my way home. It's too easy for me to get lazy at home. Having said that, one of the reasons I am liking the crossfit is that I don't have to be in the gym to do it. Once spring hits, I will be spending weekends on my boat and can do crossfit at the park 100 yards from the marina.
    Thomas Jefferson

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    369 Post(s)

Hey it works for you doesn't it? I joined a gym for $20 a month. Had treadmills and home gyms and all that crap but they just collected clothes. This time I was determined to make it work so I joined a gym close to home because it forces me to get off my fat ass. I go right after work on my way home. It's too easy for me to get lazy at home. Having said that, one of the reasons I am liking the crossfit is that I don't have to be in the gym to do it. Once spring hits, I will be spending weekends on my boat and can do crossfit at the park 100 yards from the marina.
    Last time I used a gym other than home, I was deployed. I was just glad the MEU Commander was a bigger fitness nu than I am. We called hn "the Duke". He was me with power. Heaven forbid. Anyway, here we are on a rolling ship. No I'm 5'10 200 lbs. The Duke was about 6'4", 250. I cranked 345 on the bench press. He shows up out of nowhere and says, " not bad for an old man, Gunny". Then proceeds to warm up with my weight. He did 8 reps with 345. I was like, "asshole". And he was older than I was.

I insulted my CO when I retired because I had the Duke haul his ass up from San Diego to retire me. I was like, why do I want someone I haven't deployed and served with retire me?