Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    514 Post(s)

Default Judge Orders Top N. Miami Senior High Student To Leave U.S.

First off, where do you get a "6.7 GPA"?

But back to the story. They dwell more on just how great this girl is and less on the legality. Is she in fact here illegally? If so, sorry, you gotta go. You're welcome to come back in the legal manner though. It's not the judge's fault that her family brought her here illegally, he's simply ruling on what is in front of him, and correctly so.

MIAMI (CBS4) – A judge has ordered a top student at North Miami Senior High School to leave the country later this month.

The student has lived here since she was four. Now her classmates say they don’t plan on letting her leave without a fight.

Daniela Pelaez, 18, has spent most of her life in the U.S. In fact, she says she can’t remember her native country, Colombia.

“I’ve done everything that an American child has done. I know the National Anthem, I know more about the United States than I do about Colombia. This is my home,” said Daniela.

She’s done so well at North Miami Senior High that she’s now the valedictorian.

“Yeah. I have a 6.7 GPA,” said Daniela.

Even so, Daniela may have no other choice but to leave the U.S. at the end of the month. She was born in Colombia and came here with her parents when she was four.

A few years ago, her mom returned to Colombia for medical reasons while Daniela was in the process of legalizing her status.
    http://miami.cbslocal.com/2012/03/01...-to-leave-u-s/
    “You know the world is going crazy when the best rapper is a white guy, the best golfer is a black guy, the tallest guy in the NBA is Chinese, the Swiss hold the America's Cup, France is accusing the U.S. of arrogance, Germany doesn't want to go to war, and the three most powerful men in America are named "Bush", "Dick", and "Colin." Need I say more?” - Chris Rock

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Some schools use a different scoring system than the usual 4.0, I have no idea why.

As for this young lady.She sounds like a quality caliber young woman, but too bad the law is the law. It's just a damned shame they aren't focusing on the criminal element though. And by criminal element I'm not implying that being here illegally isn't a crime.

Mentioned
    79 Post(s)

Assuming she's kicked out and re-applies to return, what are her chances?Or having been there illegally (thought not through her own cause) will she be blacklisted?
    If you also agree that an animals suffering should be avoided rather than encouraged, consider what steps you can take.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Noir View Post
    Assuming she's kicked out and re-applies to return, what are her chances?Or having been there illegally (thought not through her own cause) will she be blacklisted?
    Not likely. USUALLY that is reserved for people who have been caught here illegally multiple times, and of course anyone who has been incarcerated for committing a crime while in the country.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    88 Post(s)

To get a higher than 4.0 you will have participated in extra-curricular activities, volunteering in the community, taking extra classes, etc.

Now that she has been educated in this country perhaps she can use that knowledge to help elevate her home country. Use her intelligence and drive to make a difference at home.
    If the freedom of speech is taken away
    then dumb and silent we may be led,
    like sheep to the slaughter.

George Washington (1732-1799) First President of the USA.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by SassyLady View Post
    To get a higher than 4.0 you will have participated in extra-curricular activities, volunteering in the community, taking extra classes, etc.

Now that she has been educated in this country perhaps she can use that knowledge to help elevate her home country. Use her intelligence and drive to make a difference at home.
    When I was in school certain classes carried a 1 point boost..not 3-- so I hear ya on higher than 4.0, but 6.7; that's 2.7 points higher...so in effect, I could have a 1.3, a D+ avg, and with extra-curricular credit I'd have an A average...that doesn't make sense.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    88 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by logroller View Post
    When I was in school certain classes carried a 1 point boost..not 3-- so I hear ya on higher than 4.0, but 6.7; that's 2.7 points higher...so in effect, I could have a 1.3, a D+ avg, and with extra-curricular credit I'd have an A average...that doesn't make sense.
    From Yahoo Answers:

http://answers.yahoo.com/question/in...2175735AA4ohPA

At my high school, you didn't get any extra points for an honors course, and an AP class only added 0.1 to your GPA. At other high schools, honors are worth 2 points and AP are worth 3 or more. Every high school has it's own weighting system, which is why weighted GPAs are meaningless and colleges ask for unweighted. Her high school obviously adds a ton of points to her GPA for taking advanced classes. So it really is meaningless to say she's got a 6.7.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Yep, it's only relevant in relation to her classmate's grades.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    88 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ConHog View Post
    Yep, it's only relevant in relation to her classmate's grades.
    Just bragging here ... my mom was Valedictorian for her high school graduating class. I tried to live up to that standard, but my class was 3x larger...more competition. I did however, have a 3.97 in college.....damn statistics class.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Just bragging here ... my mom was Valedictorian for her high school graduating class. I tried to live up to that standard, but my class was 3x larger...more competition. I did however, have a 3.97 in college.....damn statistics class.

I was salutatorian in my high school class because of some extra credit work a girl in my class did. Valedictorian at CofO though.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    88 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ConHog View Post
    I was salutatorian in my high school class because of some extra credit work a girl in my class did. Valedictorian at CofO though.
    Wow...when I first read this I thought you only got S because you had help from work the girl did for you ... hoping it means she got V due to extra work and you got S.

Congrats on CofO honor.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Wow...when I first read this I thought you only got S because you had help from work the girl did for you ... hoping it means she got V due to extra work and you got S.

Congrats on CofO honor.
    yes, that's what i meant, we were neck and neck and she did some extra credit in an honors level anatomy class our senior year and edged me out by a few percentage points for V.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    204 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jimnyc View Post
    First off, where do you get a "6.7 GPA"?

But back to the story. They dwell more on just how great this girl is and less on the legality. Is she in fact here illegally? If so, sorry, you gotta go. You're welcome to come back in the legal manner though. It's not the judge's fault that her family brought her here illegally, he's simply ruling on what is in front of him, and correctly so.

http://miami.cbslocal.com/2012/03/01...-to-leave-u-s/
    Saw this and thought I'd respond. Went to site and found the grading scale. They give 1 extra point for honors classes, 2 for AP and International Baccalaureate classes. I can't find course listings, but if she's been a strait A student, I suppose the 6.7 is possible on a normal 4.0 scale.

That grading scale is weird though, IMO. Usually there is only a 1 pt bump for honors/AP. The AP can make a huge difference though for college, as it can exempt student from prerequisites, saving hundreds or thousands in college costs.

http://www.dadeschools.net/schools/s...ls.asp?id=7591

I still don't see how that should exempt her from legal status here.

"The government is a child that has found their parents credit card, and spends knowing that they never have to reconcile the bill with their own money"-Shannon Churchill

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    204 Post(s)

I've never heard of any points to GPA for sports, extracurricular, or service. I have heard of service hours being required, which I think is wrong for a diploma, but right for growth of the individual.

"The government is a child that has found their parents credit card, and spends knowing that they never have to reconcile the bill with their own money"-Shannon Churchill

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Kathianne View Post
    I've never heard of any points to GPA for sports, extracurricular, or service. I have heard of service hours being required, which I think is wrong for a diploma, but right for growth of the individual.
    LMFAO! I thought this place sucked Kath?