Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by logroller View Post
    if everyone here were a bunch of hooting dickholes; would it make it right, or merely correct? Is being correct a sufficient standard of behavior, or should we temper our behavior to be sensitive to others' beliefs on what is right? (see: Limbaugh, Maher) I say screw 'em. If I'm a hooting asshole I don't expect you to care; nor do I expect you to grant me any consideration, whatsoever. Just hot air really; we all blow off steam from time to time-- doesn't make it right, but it doesn't make it wrong either.
    Well, it's not right to say something like that, but it also wouldn't be correct either. And clearly from what I wrote, being correct is not a sufficient standard of behavior.

So what you're saying, log, is that it would be perfectly fine with you to walk into a store, ask if they have a particular item, and the cashier goes "What do you fuckin' think? Now fuck off, I'm on the phone!" If you would want to talk to the person's manager, someone else who isn't being an asshole, or not shop at that store again, then guess what? You do expect a certain standard of behavior.

And there's a difference between blowing off steam, and erecting a billboard strictly for the purpose of trolling an entire neighborhood.
    "Government screws up everything. If government says black, you can bet it's white. If government says sit still for your safety, you'd better run for your life!"
    --Wayne Allyn Root
    www.rootforamerica.com
    www.FairTax.org

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by DragonStryk72 View Post
    And so would die the 1st Amendment.

There's a difference between having a right, and being right. I have the right to call everyone on this board a bunch of hooting dickholes, but that doesn't make saying it right.

When you put up a billboard like that in that neighborhood, I believe it is akin to shouting fire in a crowded theater. The only possible reason, that being to whip people into a frenzy, is basically the same in either instance. It'd be like putting a billboard up that says "God hates niggers" in a neighborhood in downtown Albany. The first amendment is not meant to allow people to purposely provoke each other, and whoever thought putting this sign up was a good plan seriously needs to ass kicking.

I do firmly believe that one of the reasons that people are such assholes these days is because they aren't expecting an ass-whuppin for it.
    Definately. Have you also noticed that it's usually the crew that screams the loudest about tolerance and being politically correct, that feel that they don't have to live up to their own standards.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Well, it's not right to say something like that, but it also wouldn't be correct either. And clearly from what I wrote, being correct is not a sufficient standard of behavior.

So what you're saying, log, is that it would be perfectly fine with you to walk into a store, ask if they have a particular item, and the cashier goes "What do you fuckin' think? Now fuck off, I'm on the phone!" If you would want to talk to the person's manager, someone else who isn't being an asshole, or not shop at that store again, then guess what? You do expect a certain standard of behavior.

And there's a difference between blowing off steam, and erecting a billboard strictly for the purpose of trolling an entire neighborhood.
    Well that wouldn't be a correct answer-- that's a question, rudely posed. If they said instead, 'I don't know off hand, but I'm on the phone and can't check right now'--that would be an answer. I wouldn't like it, but its an answer.
    I guess what you're saying is it depends on the expected std of behavior relative to the audience.
    For example, I've seen a billboard in Las Vegas (aka 'Sin City') which said, 'Headed in the wrong direction, God allows u-turns'. Is that strictly for the purpose of trolling too?

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by logroller View Post
    Well that wouldn't be a correct answer-- that's a question, rudely posed. If they said instead, 'I don't know off hand, but I'm on the phone and can't check right now'--that would be an answer. I wouldn't like it, but its an answer.
    I guess what you're saying is it depends on the expected std of behavior relative to the audience.
    For example, I've seen a billboard in Las Vegas (aka 'Sin City') which said, 'Headed in the wrong direction, God allows u-turns'. Is that strictly for the purpose of trolling too?
    No, that is smart-assed, there's a difference. It isn't calling in to question anyone's beliefs, nor is it insulting anyone. Purposely going out of your way to set up the billboard that they set up in that neighborhood? Yeah, that's pure trolling.

Now why you think I was arguing otherwise is beyond me, but no, you don't get to change what I wrote so you don't have to answer my point. Would what I wrote, that specific quote of "What do you fuckin' think? Now fuck off, I'm on the phone!", be behavior to you that would have you asking to speak with a manager, asking to speak with anyone else at the store, or not shopping there again? If the answer is yes to any of those, then yes, you do care about what other people say to you, and have a standard of expected behavior. Also, it's rhetorical, not an actual question, as in, it is clear that there is no intent for you to have an answer to it.
    "Government screws up everything. If government says black, you can bet it's white. If government says sit still for your safety, you'd better run for your life!"
    --Wayne Allyn Root
    www.rootforamerica.com
    www.FairTax.org

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Shadow View Post
    Definitely. Have you also noticed that it's usually the crew that screams the loudest about tolerance and being politically correct, that feel that they don't have to live up to their own standards.
    lol, yeah, just like I've noticed that most people with anger management issues don't lose it around people that they know can kick their ass.
    --Wayne Allyn Root
    www.rootforamerica.com
    www.FairTax.org

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    514 Post(s)

I hope the billboard falls on a radical imam. That's right, I went and said it, sue me!
    “You know the world is going crazy when the best rapper is a white guy, the best golfer is a black guy, the tallest guy in the NBA is Chinese, the Swiss hold the America's Cup, France is accusing the U.S. of arrogance, Germany doesn't want to go to war, and the three most powerful men in America are named "Bush", "Dick", and "Colin." Need I say more?” - Chris Rock

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    181 Post(s)

And so would die the 1st Amendment.

There's a difference between having a right, and being right. I have the right to call everyone on this board a bunch of hooting dickholes, but that doesn't make saying it right.

When you put up a billboard like that in that neighborhood, I believe it is akin to shouting fire in a crowded theater. The only possible reason, that being to whip people into a frenzy, is basically the same in either instance. It'd be like putting a billboard up that says "God hates niggers" in a neighborhood in downtown Albany. The first amendment is not meant to allow people to purposely provoke each other, and whoever thought putting this sign up was a good plan seriously needs to ass kicking.

I do firmly believe that one of the reasons that people are such assholes these days is because they aren't expecting an ass-whuppin for it.
    I don't think we should base our laws on how easily offended a group might be. Christians tend to take offenses in stride in this country, but Muslims and blacks do not. therefore, we should restrain our speech for those groups? Doesn't sound "right" in either sense of the word. A fire, on the other hand, burns everyone regardless of race or religion.
    After the game, the king and the pawn go into the same box - Author unknown

“Unfortunately, the truth is now whatever the media say it is”
    -Abbey

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

No, that is smart-assed, there's a difference. It isn't calling in to question anyone's beliefs, nor is it insulting anyone. Purposely going out of your way to set up the billboard that they set up in that neighborhood? Yeah, that's pure trolling.

Now why you think I was arguing otherwise is beyond me, but no, you don't get to change what I wrote so you don't have to answer my point. Would what I wrote, that specific quote of "What do you fuckin' think? Now fuck off, I'm on the phone!", be behavior to you that would have you asking to speak with a manager, asking to speak with anyone else at the store, or not shopping there again? If the answer is yes to any of those, then yes, you do care about what other people say to you, and have a standard of expected behavior. Also, it's rhetorical, not an actual question, as in, it is clear that there is no intent for you to have an answer to it.
    You say truly trolling, I say marketing-- that's the thing about free speech. To answer your question, even though its rhetorical, I'd probably wait for him to get off the phone. I'm stubborn like that!