Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    88 Post(s)

Default "Beware of Christians" Movie

Has anyone seen or heard of this movie?

It has been one wild ride for Texas college graduate Wilbur "Will" Bakke, who has taken the country by storm in recent months promoting his documentary "Beware of Christians."Joined by three pals who also grew up as Bible-believing Christians, Bakke travelled across Europe to make the thought-provoking film, and in the process concluded that Jesus doesn’t exactly resemble the healthy, wealthy Americanized Jesus that he had grown to know and love.

“Most Christians feel like they have to be perfect all the time, and go to church, and there all these rules about drinking, sex and materialism,” Bakke told FOX411’s Pop Tarts column. “But it is not about church at all, it is about really getting to know Jesus, really developing your own, personal relationship with Him. When you have this, you will be compelled to act differently.”

Read more: http://www.foxnews.com/entertainment...#ixzz1oxMSpVvy

If the freedom of speech is taken away
    then dumb and silent we may be led,
    like sheep to the slaughter.

George Washington (1732-1799) First President of the USA.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

havent heard of it. but I do take issue with the idea that most Christians feeling they have to be perfect. I dont think that's the case at all. In fact, I think it's quite the opposite. Most Christians are quite laidback about their faith and don't recieve all the blessings they could have had they been alittle more diligent. JMHO
    If we were as industrious to become good as to make ourselves great, we should become really great by being good, and the number of valuable men would be much increased; but it is a grand mistake to think of being great without goodness; and i pronounce it as certain that there was never yet a truly great man that was not at the same time truly virtuous." - Ben Franklin

Imagine what good we can do if we all joined together, united as followers of Christ - M. Russell Ballard

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    88 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by avatar4321 View Post
    havent heard of it. but I do take issue with the idea that most Christians feeling they have to be perfect. I dont think that's the case at all. In fact, I think it's quite the opposite. Most Christians are quite laidback about their faith and don't recieve all the blessings they could have had they been alittle more diligent. JMHO
    Until I see the movie I can't comment about where the filmmaker got the idea ... could be from his own personal perception growing up, or as a result of his documentary.

I think it will be interesting to watch.
    If the freedom of speech is taken away
    then dumb and silent we may be led,
    like sheep to the slaughter.

George Washington (1732-1799) First President of the USA.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)

It seems like the message that is in movies and entertainment is that Christians are evil people who try to force their world view on everybody else.

Yes, definitely, we had the White House demand that our churches provide birth control through their insurance carriers because that's how we are trying to take over the world.

My local paper has letter after letter by so called independent thinkers who blame the Catholic Church because of a decision made by the White House. That's like blaming the fetus for forcing the mother to abort it or blaming the kid who was killed by a drunk driver for causing the accident.

The truth be told... the ones who really are trying their utmost to force their way on everyone is the Left. They legislate, litigate and tax their way into our lives. Frankly, if every one on the Left would simply mind their own business, we'd have a lot fewer problems in this world.
    How do you tell a Communist? Well, it's someone who reads Marx and Lenin. And how do you tell an anti-Communist? It's someone who understands Marx and Lenin. - Ronald Reagan

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Wow , Next up "Beware of Zionists" Movie

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)

There's a grain of truth to the premise. It's why I lost interest in conservatism. It's not enough to defend traditional marriage, favor prayer in public schools, be against evolution, etc., etc., etc. It's the demand of extreme conformity on even very trivial matters. I refer to them as the modern day Pharisees. I read conservative analysis of issues and agree with most of it. However, when I see a culture that demands conformity, it's time to run, not walk away. That was the thing that made me throw up my hands and give up on living in the South, seeking out the most un-Southern place I could find. My first major employment after leaving Tennessee was in Cambridge, Mass. Being a non-conformist in Tennessee is much more difficult than being a Republican in Cambridge.

If you want an indication how left wing Cambridge is, it's not difficult to find Che Guevara photos when you go out to eat and here are the 2008 election results (click on image to view):

Cambridge.jpg

Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    139 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by tailfins View Post
    There's a grain of truth to the premise. It's why I lost interest in conservatism. It's not enough to defend traditional marriage, favor prayer in public schools, be against evolution, etc., etc., etc. It's the demand of extreme conformity on even very trivial matters. I refer to them as the modern day Pharisees. I read conservative analysis of issues and agree with most of it. However, when I see a culture that demands conformity, it's time to run, not walk away. That was the thing that made me throw up my hands and give up on living in the South, seeking out the most un-Southern place I could find. My first major employment after leaving Tennessee was in Cambridge, Mass. Being a non-conformist in Tennessee is much more difficult than being a Republican in Cambridge.
    You're tying religious beliefs to conservatism. I contend the link isn't strong.

The premise of the film - it's spot on. Who was it that said "Truly following God is based in the desire for knowlege. To know Him. Religion is based in the desire to control."?

Moving from uber-left-wing Seattle area to LA (Lower Alabama) was a shock for me. Initially I thought I was moving back to 'My People' - reasonable conservatives. What i got was the kind of conservative that boggles my mind. The folks actually organized Protests (marching, signs, etc) against a particular restaurant who was applying for a liquior license. The local pastor of a BBC (Big Baptist Church) lead the way. Sickening to me; and I bet that sorta thing (the protesting of the restaurant) not only grieves the Holy Spirit, but makes Jesus cry.
    “… the greatest detractor from high performance is fear: fear that you are not prepared, fear that you are in over your head, fear that you are not worthy, and ultimately, fear of failure. If you can eliminate that fear—not through arrogance or just wishing difficulties away, but through hard work and preparation—you will put yourself in an incredibly powerful position to take on the challenges you face" - Pete Carroll.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    181 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by dmp View Post
    You're tying religious beliefs to conservatism. I contend the link isn't strong.

The premise of the film - it's spot on. Who was it that said "Truly following God is based in the desire for knowlege. To know Him. Religion is based in the desire to control."?

Moving from uber-left-wing Seattle area to LA (Lower Alabama) was a shock for me. Initially I thought I was moving back to 'My People' - reasonable conservatives. What i got was the kind of conservative that boggles my mind. The folks actually organized Protests (marching, signs, etc) against a particular restaurant who was applying for a liquior license. The local pastor of a BBC (Big Baptist Church) lead the way. Sickening to me; and I bet that sorta thing (the protesting of the restaurant) not only grieves the Holy Spirit, but makes Jesus cry.
    I guess they would have protested the wedding at Cana too.
    After the game, the king and the pawn go into the same box - Author unknown

“Unfortunately, the truth is now whatever the media say it is”
    -Abbey

Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    139 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Abbey View Post
    I guess they would have protested the wedding at Cana too.
    b-b-b-but..that was NON-alcoholic wine, Abbey!!!

The scriptures used the word WINE just to confuse us...when they OBVIOUSLY meant 'juice'. They for SURE meant 'juice' because that means our prohibition against things we don't like makes SENSE.

One day, Abs, I'm going to write a book. Just sayin.
    “… the greatest detractor from high performance is fear: fear that you are not prepared, fear that you are in over your head, fear that you are not worthy, and ultimately, fear of failure. If you can eliminate that fear—not through arrogance or just wishing difficulties away, but through hard work and preparation—you will put yourself in an incredibly powerful position to take on the challenges you face" - Pete Carroll.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    181 Post(s)

b-b-b-but..that was NON-alcoholic wine, Abbey!!!

The scriptures used the word WINE just to confuse us...when they OBVIOUSLY meant 'juice'. They for SURE meant 'juice' because that means our prohibition against things we don't like makes SENSE.

One day, Abs, I'm going to write a book. Just sayin.
    Yeah, because we know the people of that time never drank wine. Nor did Jesus ever tell a parable about wine skins. Must have meant juice skins.
    It was nice of the guests to compliment the hosts on saving the best juice for last, too
    After the game, the king and the pawn go into the same box - Author unknown

“Unfortunately, the truth is now whatever the media say it is”
    -Abbey

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Beware of Christians? Why?

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Wind Song View Post

The word Christians should be in quotes like this "Christians". Spend a month in rural Alabama or Mississippi and it will come to you. In a nutshell, it's an overabundance of petty, cliquish, manipulative, imposing, nosy, vengeful, stingy people.

I dare say if you're an "outsider" NYC or Boston are far friendlier places than places like Tennessee, Alabama or Mississippi. There, I said it: Manhattanites and Bostonians are friendlier than Southerners!

Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    139 Post(s)

Try READING, okay? If you read and understand you'll figure out the topic of discussion. Try www.hop.com - may help.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by tailfins View Post
    The word Christians should be in quotes like this "Christians". Spend a month in rural Alabama or Mississippi and it will come to you. In a nutshell, it's an overabundance of petty, cliquish, manipulative, imposing, nosy, vengeful, stingy people.

I dare say if you're an "outsider" NYC or Boston are far friendlier places than places like Tennessee, Alabama or Mississippi. There, I said it: Manhattanites and Bostonians are friendlier than Southerners!
    I lived in Kentucky for two years. Kentucky is not considered "southern" by deep south southerners, but to me, who grew up in Brooklyn, it was the south.

Try READING, okay? If you read and understand you'll figure out the topic of discussion. Try www.hop.com - may help.
    Try being friendly sometime.

Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    139 Post(s)

Try being friendly sometime.
    Try humility. Wait...you're humanistic, sexist, and oppressive. Humility escapes you.