Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default Site tech talk...

Heh.
    ‎'Is there anything wrong with anything.' Is that what you're asking, friendo?

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    514 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Red Neckerson View Post
    Heh.
    Maybe you can help....

“You know the world is going crazy when the best rapper is a white guy, the best golfer is a black guy, the tallest guy in the NBA is Chinese, the Swiss hold the America's Cup, France is accusing the U.S. of arrogance, Germany doesn't want to go to war, and the three most powerful men in America are named "Bush", "Dick", and "Colin." Need I say more?” - Chris Rock

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

This is because the modification you use doesn't take into account all of the permutations of the many and varied YT links people might use.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    514 Post(s)

This is because the modification you use doesn't take into account all of the permutations of the many and varied YT links people might use.
    But the code being copied should be the same, no? If one clicks on "share" and then "embed", there are a few variations, but shouldn't the output mostly be the same? If you look at the first code, the one that doesn't work, where could that possibly have come from within Youtube? I'd like to figure out WHAT they are copying and from WHERE at Youtube that is giving them code that causes problems here.

I went through this with another member. I ensured that he had all 4 boxes underneath the embed unchecked and went through every last detail, yet he was getting different code.
    “You know the world is going crazy when the best rapper is a white guy, the best golfer is a black guy, the tallest guy in the NBA is Chinese, the Swiss hold the America's Cup, France is accusing the U.S. of arrogance, Germany doesn't want to go to war, and the three most powerful men in America are named "Bush", "Dick", and "Colin." Need I say more?” - Chris Rock

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    514 Post(s)

Btw - no mods, none that we use anyway. In vB, you can just copy/paste the code depending on your settings. Or as stated, you can copy the direct URL into the video tags.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jimnyc View Post
    Btw - no mods, none that we use anyway. In vB, you can just copy/paste the code depending on your settings. Or as stated, you can copy the direct URL into the video tags.
    Clearly then, that is a built-in feature of version 4 of the software, which I have avoided like the plague and always will.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    514 Post(s)

Clearly then, that is a built-in feature of version 4 of the software, which I have avoided like the plague and always will.
    Yes, I forget specifically which upgrade changed that code, but it was definitely in the 4's. Prior to that I had at one point altered some bbcode that allowed the function. Little things like this drive me nuts, when I can't reproduce the problem. It would be nice to get screenshots or short clips of specifically what these members were doing so I could try and fix it, or at least know!

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I'd go over to the member's area of vB dot com and smack 'em with a support ticket.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    514 Post(s)

And you're not the first vB owner to tell me that. Many think the newer versions, since 4, are too bloated.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

And you're not the first vB owner to tell me that. Many think the newer versions, since 4, are too bloated.
    It's like Windows Vista - trying to be something it's not and so you have everything clunky, twice the size it should be, code wise, and just generally a inferior product. It's why Kier Darby and other original vB developers, the fathers of php message board software, quit vB and formed their own company, XenForo. Version 4 of this software is polluted with all the "web 2.0" shit.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Analysis of your site on the web, from Patrick Meehan of Google's little helpful tool: http://www.webpagetest.org/result/120321_DK_3NWBT/ And here's one of your video laden music threads using same test: http://www.webpagetest.org/result/120321_VM_3NWD9/ As you can see, the second one is horrendous due to the video embeds. The first one is merely horrible.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    514 Post(s)

Analysis of your site on the web, from Patrick Meehan of Google's little helpful tool: http://www.webpagetest.org/result/120321_DK_3NWBT/ And here's one of your video laden music threads using same test: http://www.webpagetest.org/result/120321_VM_3NWD9/ As you can see, the second one is horrendous due to the video embeds. The first one is merely horrible.
    Those results are weird. For example, I believe the second one states it takes 23s for the page to be fully loaded. But by my clock, its within a few seconds, every time. Pretty big discrepancy.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Those results are weird. For example, I believe the second one states it takes 23s for the page to be fully loaded. But by my clock, its within a few seconds, every time. Pretty big discrepancy.
    That's because your browser has a ton of cached stuff from here. Meehan's devices, don't. You can run same test on many different browsers and operating systems there.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I will say however that you have one of the best LOOKING vB4 installations I've seen. That's no small feat, considering what you have to work with. Kudos!

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    514 Post(s)

That's because your browser has a ton of cached stuff from here. Meehan's devices, don't. You can run same test on many different browsers and operating systems there.
    Try the one from here - http://www.websitepulse.com/

Go to free tools. Put in the same music thread, and even choose Germany to be the place to test from. MUCH faster results. Not that it should be that much slower, but I noticed the first tool was tested from a DSL line.