Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    514 Post(s)

What's wrong with him/her? That really, really sucks and I'm sorry you're going to have to deal with this. I don't think I could do so for my dog, even when it's in his best interest. Our pets are part of our lives, and the closer you are with them, the harder it is to deal with.

What kind of dog? How old?
    “You know the world is going crazy when the best rapper is a white guy, the best golfer is a black guy, the tallest guy in the NBA is Chinese, the Swiss hold the America's Cup, France is accusing the U.S. of arrogance, Germany doesn't want to go to war, and the three most powerful men in America are named "Bush", "Dick", and "Colin." Need I say more?” - Chris Rock

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    181 Post(s)

Sorry, Wind Song. That's so hard.
    After the game, the king and the pawn go into the same box - Author unknown

“Unfortunately, the truth is now whatever the media say it is”
    -Abbey

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Daisy is an eleven year old basset hound. She has a lot of miles on her. She was a rescue animal. She'd been abused when we got her. She was three and had been bred three times in a puppy mill. The previous owner tried giving her to a basset hound rescue place, but they wouldn't accept her because she was heart worm positive. I guess once she was heart worm positive she was no longer worth anything.

The owner then dumped her in the woods, and as bad as Daisy had been treated, she kept returning to the place she'd been dumped.

She was only 38 pounds when we got her, and she was in a lot of pain. She was too sick for heartworm treatment, so we opted for giving her the preventative, (which killed the babies) and letting the adult worm live in her for two years. She has a bullet in her leg, but the vet said it didn't need to be removed.

Daisy has been losing the use of her right rear leg for some time. We bought her a "wheelchair" adaptive cart, but she hasn't taken to it very well. Now she is losing the left leg too.

The last two days she's been off her food. I managed to get her outside so she could pee and poop but she soils herself in the process.

We are Buddhist, and it goes against Buddhist beliefs to euthanize.

I've been crying most of the afternoon. My wife is meeting me at the vet's in an hour and we're getting an eval and options.

It broke my heart to put her in the car. She thinks she's going someplace. I don't know how it will go, whether today's the day, but I'm willing to take the negative karma on if it's better for her.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    181 Post(s)

Whatever happens, Daisy was blessed that you and she found each other.
    After the game, the king and the pawn go into the same box - Author unknown

“Unfortunately, the truth is now whatever the media say it is”
    -Abbey

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Abbey View Post
    Whatever happens, Daisy was blessed that you and she found each other.
    She's a lot like me. Has a mind of her own, a greedy appetite and a stubborn streak. She is very sweet though. She was totally withdrawn when we got her and she's been a real love muffin ever since.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

So sorry to hear about your dog. I've always been intrigued with eastern beliefs; never studied them really, but I've developed an understanding about life and death that involves how energy transcends them both-- everlasting. That the love and happiness which you have shared with your four legged friend shall transcend any bad-- sort of a karma utilitarianism. Whatever you decide, love and kindness always prevails, even through mercy... ALWAYS!
    He who learns must suffer. And even in our sleep pain that cannot forget falls drop by drop upon the heart, and in our own despair, against our will, comes wisdom to us by the awful grace of God.AeschylusRead more at http://www.brainyquote.com/quotes/qu...zeMUwcpY1Io.99

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

That's harder than Chinese algebra. Had to do it too a few times and it's never easy.
    ‎'Is there anything wrong with anything.' Is that what you're asking, friendo?

Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    139 Post(s)

Ugh. That kinda pain feels like a horse kick to the legumes. Rough. When we put-down our cat it came down to this: Prolonging his live was more for OUR sake than his. We had to make the hard choice. I cried for hours and hours.
    “… the greatest detractor from high performance is fear: fear that you are not prepared, fear that you are in over your head, fear that you are not worthy, and ultimately, fear of failure. If you can eliminate that fear—not through arrogance or just wishing difficulties away, but through hard work and preparation—you will put yourself in an incredibly powerful position to take on the challenges you face" - Pete Carroll.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by dmp View Post
    Ugh. That kinda pain feels like a horse kick to the legumes. Rough. When we put-down our cat it came down to this: Prolonging his live was more for OUR sake than his. We had to make the hard choice. I cried for hours and hours.
    That's really what it's about - am I doing this (keeping them alive and suffering) chiefly for my benefit? Unfortunately we can't ask them their idea on it, but of course the animal would choose to live no matter what. Their entire instinct is to live.

In fact I don't think they even know they are eventually going to die. That dubious knowledge is limited to we humans.
    ‎'Is there anything wrong with anything.' Is that what you're asking, friendo?

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Update: Daisy's vet gave her a cortisone shot, upped her pain meds, and sent her home with two other medications. We talked about her options.

We'll take it one day at time. Today isn't her day to die.

Thank you, ALL of you for your kindness.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

That sux. We just had a dog and a cat of the family put down. My daughter and nice (both 6) both cried for hours on end. VEry sad.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Daisy's ambulation was slightly better today. She's still not eating.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Today's the day Daisy goes over the Rainbow Bridge. We have an appointment this afternoon.

Jim is a fucking insensitive asshole.

Why don't you ban me on this thread too, Jim.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    514 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Wind Song View Post
    Today's the day Daisy goes over the Rainbow Bridge. We have an appointment this afternoon.

Jim is a fucking insensitive asshole.

Why don't you ban me on this thread too, Jim.
    I think it's horrible that you have to deal with this. I have said many times, I know someday I'll have to do this with my 2 best friends. I'm hoping they'll go naturally, in their sleep, as I really don't think I can make that decision and walk out of the vets office calmly. I'm going to look like a 40 something wuss.

And look, I know this is tough to deal with, I really do. You won't find a bigger animal lover than I. I'd own my own zoo if I could. But me wanting threads to stay on topic is not insensitive. YOU are overly sensitive today, which is understandable, but it's not my fault, WS. You need to take a deep breath sometimes and realize that people here you're posting with aren't out to get you. We may disagree, and be sarcastic, but you'll notice that in threads like this that you will get nothing but support from our community.
    “You know the world is going crazy when the best rapper is a white guy, the best golfer is a black guy, the tallest guy in the NBA is Chinese, the Swiss hold the America's Cup, France is accusing the U.S. of arrogance, Germany doesn't want to go to war, and the three most powerful men in America are named "Bush", "Dick", and "Colin." Need I say more?” - Chris Rock