Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    514 Post(s)

Default Must have tablet apps?

I have the Acer running on Android OS... While not all apps are available for both, many are. Itunes carries a LOT more than the Android, but a ton of the "good" apps and utilities are made for both. Anyone who uses either have any recommendations for must have apps? This is what I have added so far, which isn't a lot. I installed others, but uninstalled them when I realized I really didn't need them

Advanced Task Killer
    Angry Birds (great game!)
    Vplayer (to play all movie formats)
    TMZ
    Cozi Calendar system (family shared)
    Pandora
    WPLJ (NY radio station)
    IMDB
    Youtube (easier than browsing to it)
    Pittsburgh Steelers news
    Flash Player

That's about it. I haven't even looked into new "widgets" yet, or wallpapers and such. The generic wallpaper is what I still have, and it sucks!
    “You know the world is going crazy when the best rapper is a white guy, the best golfer is a black guy, the tallest guy in the NBA is Chinese, the Swiss hold the America's Cup, France is accusing the U.S. of arrogance, Germany doesn't want to go to war, and the three most powerful men in America are named "Bush", "Dick", and "Colin." Need I say more?” - Chris Rock

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I use the google maps navigation a lot on the Galaxy Tab from work. I wish it were available for iPhone.
    I'm Phil -- 40 something heterosexual white male, fairly self sufficient, great with my kids, wed 29 years to the same woman, and I firmly believe that ones actions have logical consequences. How much more out the box can you get nowadays? -- MSgt of Marines (ret)

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    514 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by pegwinn View Post
    I use the google maps navigation a lot on the Galaxy Tab from work. I wish it were available for iPhone.
    Hmmmm..... Will check it out now... Keep in mind though, mine is only WiFi accessible...
    “You know the world is going crazy when the best rapper is a white guy, the best golfer is a black guy, the tallest guy in the NBA is Chinese, the Swiss hold the America's Cup, France is accusing the U.S. of arrogance, Germany doesn't want to go to war, and the three most powerful men in America are named "Bush", "Dick", and "Colin." Need I say more?” - Chris Rock

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jimnyc View Post
    Hmmmm..... Will check it out now... Keep in mind though, mine is only WiFi accessible...
    It'll grab and make directions on wifi. But, obviously the voice nav while driving needs a cellular connection. So far I haven't seen a need for a dedicated GPS. Come to think of it, you might try it out because I am not certain if it uses cell, wifi, or actually reads the GPS sats.
    I'm Phil -- 40 something heterosexual white male, fairly self sufficient, great with my kids, wed 29 years to the same woman, and I firmly believe that ones actions have logical consequences. How much more out the box can you get nowadays? -- MSgt of Marines (ret)

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

It's internet based gps. BUt if you lose signal, it still works.

http://www.google.com/mobile/navigation/

Mentioned
    79 Post(s)

idk how many or these are on android, but the main ones I use are -

Dolphine - Mobile Web Broswer.
    Twitolator Neue - Twitter Client
    Last FM - Music streaming/discovery
    Soundcloud - Music streaming/discovery
    Sparrow - Email Client
    Tumblita - Tumblr Client.
    Draw Something - Social Game
    Whole foods - Deit and recipe app
    Grand thief Auto 3 - Game
    Sleep time - Sleep monitor
    Ted - TED.com video & audio streaming.
    Skype - VoIP calling
    heytell - VoIP texting
    If you also agree that an animals suffering should be avoided rather than encouraged, consider what steps you can take.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    514 Post(s)

It'll grab and make directions on wifi. But, obviously the voice nav while driving needs a cellular connection. So far I haven't seen a need for a dedicated GPS. Come to think of it, you might try it out because I am not certain if it uses cell, wifi, or actually reads the GPS sats.
    It's internet based gps. BUt if you lose signal, it still works.

http://www.google.com/mobile/navigation/
    I looked it up in the apps store and it told me I had it installed already! LOL Not surprising with the OS and the app being from the same company. I'd probably not use it for driving directions though as I have a pretty decent Garmin GPS in my truck already.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    514 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Noir View Post

Sparrow - Email Client
    Skype - VoIP calling
    heytell - VoIP texting
    Sweet, thanks for the list. I'll probably look at Dolphin, as I don't like the "bookmarking" system that the default browser comes with, and maybe try a few others, like Firefox and chrome, till I find what best suits me. I use the native email as well, in addition to Gmail which is built in, but would like a better client than default. It doesn't look like they make a Sparrow version for Android though.

What is the "Sleep Time"? I found similar, I think, which is a timer that plays sounds to help you fall asleep? Is that what it's about?

I doubt I'd use any of the others, but will read up on them in the app store to see if they can convince me!

Mentioned
    79 Post(s)

Exclamation

Sweet, thanks for the list. I'll probably look at Dolphin, as I don't like the "bookmarking" system that the default browser comes with, and maybe try a few others, like Firefox and chrome, till I find what best suits me. I use the native email as well, in addition to Gmail which is built in, but would like a better client than default. It doesn't look like they make a Sparrow version for Android though.

What is the "Sleep Time"? I found similar, I think, which is a timer that plays sounds to help you fall asleep? Is that what it's about?

I doubt I'd use any of the others, but will read up on them in the app store to see if they can convince me!
    Yeah I like Dolphines GUI, it's quite heavy on gesture support, so from your 'normal' web page if you swipe from the left your bookmarks list will pop up, or it you swipe from the right you get you get some options like 'full screen' mode, private browsing etc. as if you tap the wee 'finger' icon at the bottem of the page it brings up a blank page which you can hotlink any web page with a gesture for example I hit the button, draw an n and it takes me to the BBC UK news, or of I draw a n+ it takes me to BBC World News etc. once you get we to the gestures it's a very fast way to browse.

As for sleeptime, idk if it would work very well on a tablet but I has it on my Phone, basically you turn it on when you're going to bed and let it sleep beside your pillow. It's able to work out what kind of sleep you are having (light/deep+REM) and keeps a grapical record of your sleeping parttern etc. it also has an alarm that's designed to wake you 'at the latest, best time' so for example if yOu have to be up by 11pm, it will wake you anytime from 10:30 onwards when you are in 'light sleep' and it does make you feel so much better when you wake because you're not being woken out of a deep sleep! Though it is weird to see your sleep as a record like I always knew I went to bed late, but since I started using it at the end of march my average bedtime has been 6am...never thought it was that bad lol
    If you also agree that an animals suffering should be avoided rather than encouraged, consider what steps you can take.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    181 Post(s)

Sleeptime sounds awesome! Going to look for it for my iPhone.

The description says it detects movements. I wonder if my cat jumping on and off the bed would screw it up?
    After the game, the king and the pawn go into the same box - Author unknown

“Unfortunately, the truth is now whatever the media say it is”
    -Abbey

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I have the Acer running on Android OS... While not all apps are available for both, many are. Itunes carries a LOT more than the Android, but a ton of the "good" apps and utilities are made for both. Anyone who uses either have any recommendations for must have apps? This is what I have added so far, which isn't a lot. I installed others, but uninstalled them when I realized I really didn't need them

Advanced Task Killer
    TMZ
    Pandora
    WPLJ (NY radio station)
    IMDB
    Pittsburgh Steelers news
    Flash Player

That's about it. I haven't even looked into new "widgets" yet, or wallpapers and such. The generic wallpaper is what I still have, and it sucks!
    Yup, I have most of those. The Cozi app is great, we use that all the time. I do use the accuweather app quite a bit and some commodity report apps.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    88 Post(s)

Advanced Task Killer
    TMZ
    Pandora
    WPLJ (NY radio station)
    IMDB
    Pittsburgh Steelers news
    Flash Player

I would love more apps on my Droids...but they all seem to want to have access to my contacts and other things I'm not willing to give them permission to do.
    If the freedom of speech is taken away
    then dumb and silent we may be led,
    like sheep to the slaughter.

George Washington (1732-1799) First President of the USA.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    181 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Noir View Post

Sparrow - Email Client
    Skype - VoIP calling
    heytell - VoIP texting
    Noir, I bought this app the night you posted this. Thanks for the info- I love using it. As I suspected, I get my best sleep once my husband gets up to go to work, haha.

Side note: I thought I would sound all cool to my daughter when I told her I bough this app. She told me she bought it "a long time ago" (Probably means 4 months ago in youth/Smart phone app time). I give up trying to sound cool to 20 year olds!
    After the game, the king and the pawn go into the same box - Author unknown

“Unfortunately, the truth is now whatever the media say it is”
    -Abbey