Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default Working with Anger

Most of us either suppress anger or blast others with it. We've been educated to use the language of violence, not compassion, when we're angry. It is dangerous to think of anger as something to suppress or as something bad. Anger is one way to get at the cause of anger, which is our own unmet needs.

The first step is to recognize that the cause of anger is not what stimulated or triggered it. Anger is the response to the trigger. The cause of anger is the part of of that responds to the trigger, not the trigger itself.

Example: My dog likes to sniff around when we take a walk and prefers to poop anywhere but our property. Luckily, we live in the country, most properties are three to five acres in size. Most of us walk our dogs and accept that the dogs will poop on the perimeter of our large properties, usually not on anyone's actual lawn. A man I've never seen before jumps out of the bushes of my neighbor's property and starts to scream: "Are you going to let your dog crap there." This strange man is already angry, my dog and I haven't CAUSED his anger, but we have inadvertently triggered something in him that is now angry. Some need of his hasn't been met. He is blaming the anger he feels on my dog and me.

Now, let's shift to my response. I'm scared. This guy is very mad and I've never seen him before, and I've lived across the road from this property for five years and know the owner of the property, who also walks her dog and has never complained. I'm now scared and angry, and I respond, "who are YOU and how is it any of your business?"

I put the above illustration in because I'm interested in learning new ways to respond when I'm angry.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Anger is like a red warning light on the dashboard. The goal is not just to turn off the light.

Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    139 Post(s)

The man wasn't asking "Are you going to let your dog poop there" - he was probably saying "I don't like animals pooping in my yard! Acknowledge me! Respect me!"

Classic transference:

He was building his case to justify him being out of control.

“Are YOU” – right there the man is doing two things: Blaming YOU for his loss of control firstly. After all, he’s REASONABLE. Calm! Rational. But YOU…YOU are the one with the problem (by letting your dog poop). Secondly, the man is GIVING CONTROL of his emotions to YOU. He doesn’t realize that, however. He’d probably deny it.

The man is demanding respect. Perhaps there are elements in the man’s life shaping him to become, or that have helped him become, a respect-needy person. Perhaps his parents placed importance upon ‘Rules’ and ‘Fair’ and ‘Property’? Could be he grew up with siblings and was often chastised for using the property of another? “No, AngryBilly, keep your hands on YOUR side of the car!” or “AngryBilly, that is your BROTHER’S glass, do not use it!”

Anywho – my point is, our emotions or attitudes are ALWAYS a choice; much like our actions. That’s why Homosexuality MUST be a choice. Its why bank-robbing is a choice. It’s why ANY willful action upon stimulus is ultimately, a choice.
    “… the greatest detractor from high performance is fear: fear that you are not prepared, fear that you are in over your head, fear that you are not worthy, and ultimately, fear of failure. If you can eliminate that fear—not through arrogance or just wishing difficulties away, but through hard work and preparation—you will put yourself in an incredibly powerful position to take on the challenges you face" - Pete Carroll.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by dmp View Post
    The man wasn't asking "Are you going to let your dog poop there" - he was probably saying "I don't like animals pooping in my yard! Acknowledge me! Respect me!"

Classic transference:

He was building his case to justify him being out of control.

“Are YOU” – right there the man is doing two things: Blaming YOU for his loss of control firstly. After all, he’s REASONABLE. Calm! Rational. But YOU…YOU are the one with the problem (by letting your dog poop). Secondly, the man is GIVING CONTROL of his emotions to YOU. He doesn’t realize that, however. He’d probably deny it.

The man is demanding respect. Perhaps there are elements in the man’s life shaping him to become, or that have helped him become, a respect-needy person. Perhaps his parents placed importance upon ‘Rules’ and ‘Fair’ and ‘Property’? Could be he grew up with siblings and was often chastised for using the property of another? “No, AngryBilly, keep your hands on YOUR side of the car!” or “AngryBilly, that is your BROTHER’S glass, do not use it!”

Anywho – my point is, our emotions or attitudes are ALWAYS a choice; much like our actions. That’s why Homosexuality MUST be a choice. Its why bank-robbing is a choice. It’s why ANY willful action upon stimulus is ultimately, a choice.

I was following you up until your last paragraph. Anger isn't really a choice, (choice is usually, express it or suppress it), but how it's used is a choice. If the arising of anger is a signal to unmet needs, it changes the whole paradigm. Anger can be a skillful means.

Homosexuality and bank robbing have nothing to do with it.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Wind Song View Post
    Anger is like a red warning light on the dashboard. The goal is not just to turn off the light.
    I've noticed that my entire family has some sort of anger problem. I may be a young pup, but hear me out.

When i was younger i choked my little brother, i noticed i had a problem (i was probably about 7 or 8.) so i decided to repress it. Once you start to repress one emotion, the rest follow. i took up wrestling, that helped me keep from blowing up.
    During my sophomore year in high school i finally blew up to my "friends" for making fun of me. i cussed every single one of them out. screamed and called them every name in the book.
    Was this the right thing to do? probably not, but it felt great.
    after this little episode, i said screw you to them, and haven't talked to theme since.

Since then, I've learned the best way to control your anger is to let it out when it happens. that way it doesn't come out in a huge rush of anger. and it comes out in little bursts. You are human, you will get angry, and it's best to stomp out the problem before it get's too big.

Now i'm not saying you have to scream and yell every time someone does something you don't like, but just say "Hey, stop it."

as far as i know, there's two types of anger, protective, and misplaced.

misplaced is getting mad at someone for something stupid, letting small things get under your skin.

protective anger is a bit nicer in my opinion, standing up for people, getting pissed when people are hurt. or standing up for yourself.

My opinion, scream your head off at him. he's not almighty and allpowerful. and your not a doormat. stand up for yourself!

Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    139 Post(s)

I was following you up until your last paragraph. Anger isn't really a choice, (choice is usually, express it or suppress it), but how it's used is a choice. If the arising of anger is a signal to unmet needs, it changes the whole paradigm. Anger can be a skillful means.

Homosexuality and bank robbing have nothing to do with it.
    Of course its a choice. To BE angry one decides to allow an angry response. ANY response to ANY urge is self-controlled or not.

Homosexuality is a response to a feeling one might enjoy that behaviour. Bank robbing is a response to a feeling one might enjoy money.

Anger is a choice. Happiness is a choice.
    “… the greatest detractor from high performance is fear: fear that you are not prepared, fear that you are in over your head, fear that you are not worthy, and ultimately, fear of failure. If you can eliminate that fear—not through arrogance or just wishing difficulties away, but through hard work and preparation—you will put yourself in an incredibly powerful position to take on the challenges you face" - Pete Carroll.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by cadet View Post
    I've noticed that my entire family has some sort of anger problem. I may be a young pup, but hear me out.

When i was younger i choked my little brother, i noticed i had a problem (i was probably about 7 or 8.) so i decided to repress it. Once you start to repress one emotion, the rest follow. i took up wrestling, that helped me keep from blowing up.
    During my sophomore year in high school i finally blew up to my "friends" for making fun of me. i cussed every single one of them out. screamed and called them every name in the book.
    Was this the right thing to do? probably not, but it felt great.
    after this little episode, i said screw you to them, and haven't talked to theme since.

Since then, I've learned the best way to control your anger is to let it out when it happens. that way it doesn't come out in a huge rush of anger. and it comes out in little bursts. You are human, you will get angry, and it's best to stomp out the problem before it get's too big.

Now i'm not saying you have to scream and yell every time someone does something you don't like, but just say "Hey, stop it."

as far as i know, there's two types of anger, protective, and misplaced.

misplaced is getting mad at someone for something stupid, letting small things get under your skin.

protective anger is a bit nicer in my opinion, standing up for people, getting pissed when people are hurt. or standing up for yourself.

My opinion, scream your head off at him. he's not almighty and allpowerful. and your not a doormat. stand up for yourself!
    As it turned out, I did scream my head off at him. He screamed back, using a lot of hate speech. I called him an "ugly man". He hit me. I called the police, and they did nothing. That cop is not one of my favorites.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Of course its a choice. To BE angry one decides to allow an angry response. ANY response to ANY urge is self-controlled or not.

Homosexuality is a response to a feeling one might enjoy that behaviour. Bank robbing is a response to a feeling one might enjoy money.

Anger is a choice. Happiness is a choice.

Anger isn't a choice. Being with anger is a choice. Learning to use anger to find out what needs aren't being met is a choice. Anger is just a feeling. You can choose to feel it, or suppress it or learn to use it in skillful ways.

What you can't do is choose not to have it. Chances are good if anger is used to find unmet needs that anger will be fleeting.

Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    139 Post(s)

As it turned out, I did scream my head off at him. He screamed back, using a lot of hate speech. I called him an "ugly man". He hit me. I called the police, and they did nothing.

I hope you're not trying to make folks believe that.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I hope you're not trying to make folks believe that.
    You can choose to believe it or not, but it is the truth of what happened. Our local police didn't even write up an incident report even though he spent almost two hours with us.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

You can choose to believe it or not, but it is the truth of what happened. Our local police didn't even write up an incident report even though he spent almost two hours with us.
    BS - Police MUST file a report on every call. Even if all they did was roll out there and tell some kids to turn down the music, they still have to file a report. You may be right about no charges being filed, but a contact report WAS filed.

PS you're dog is pathetic. If a man ever hit my wife in front of Max he'd be a dead man, and I don't believe I'm exaggerating I do think that Dane would try to kill anyone who laid a hand on her; it took him years to learn not to react when I spank her.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ConHog View Post
    BS - Police MUST file a report on every call. Even if all they did was roll out there and tell some kids to turn down the music, they still have to file a report. You may be right about no charges being filed, but a contact report WAS filed.

PS you're dog is pathetic. If a man ever hit my wife in front of Max he'd be a dead man, and I don't believe I'm exaggerating I do think that Dane would try to kill anyone who laid a hand on her; it took him years to learn not to react when I spank her.

We checked. No report was filed. You're criticising my old dog? The one who died? LOL. Whatever.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

We checked. No report was filed. You're criticising my old dog? The one who died? LOL. Whatever.
    Oh for God's sakes Dorothy. Must you turn everything into some sort of drama? I didn't know or care that you were talking about you dog that had died. I was just teasing you about a wimpy dog.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ConHog View Post
    Oh for God's sakes Dorothy. Must you turn everything into some sort of drama? I didn't know or care that you were talking about you dog that had died. I was just teasing you about a wimpy dog.
    Don't be silly, Conhog. Take responsibility for your own reaction to my post. I take responsibility for mine to yours.

Daisy wasn't a wimpy dog, she just wasn't an aggressive dog. You value aggressive dogs, I don't.

We haven't gotten to the point in our posting life that I know when you're teasing or not. Lighten up. I'm still grieving. I have to pick up her cremains today from the vet.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)

As it turned out, I did scream my head off at him. He screamed back, using a lot of hate speech. I called him an "ugly man". He hit me. I called the police, and they did nothing. That cop is not one of my favorites.
    If you called me an "ugly man", I would bust out laughing. I would then inform you that in spite of being an ugly man, you still don't meet my low standards. "Ugly man"? That sounds like something Steve Urkel would say.

I had a similar incident to yours on a road trip except he called me a Gringo before hitting me, the cop asked me if I had any plans to return to the state anytime soon. He said if I couldn't travel thousands of miles to testify, he couldn't file a charge. At least I had the satisfaction of seeing him banned from the business where it took place.

When I saw the title of your post, it sounded like dealing with a short-tempered co-worker.