Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default America's True History of Religious Tolerance

From the earliest arrival of Europeans on America’s shores, religion has often been a cudgel, used to discriminate, suppress and even kill the foreign, the “heretic” and the “unbeliever”—including the “heathen” natives already here. Moreover, while it is true that the vast majority of early-generation Americans were Christian, the pitched battles between various Protestant sects and, more explosively, between Protestants and Catholics, present an unavoidable contradiction to the widely held notion that America is a “Christian nation.”

Read more: http://www.smithsonianmag.com/histor...#ixzz1t4Y6Pe79

Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    139 Post(s)

absolutely right. For eons evil people - however noble their intent - have used Religion to enslave and control. See: Witch Trials, Blue Laws, Atheism, Evolution, Liberalism, Global Warming, etc.
    “… the greatest detractor from high performance is fear: fear that you are not prepared, fear that you are in over your head, fear that you are not worthy, and ultimately, fear of failure. If you can eliminate that fear—not through arrogance or just wishing difficulties away, but through hard work and preparation—you will put yourself in an incredibly powerful position to take on the challenges you face" - Pete Carroll.

Mentioned
    79 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by dmp View Post
    absolutely right. For eons evil people - however noble their intent - have used Religion to enslave and control. See: Witch Trials, Blue Laws, Atheism, Evolution, Liberalism, Global Warming, etc.
    You've (intentionally of not idk) confused the words religion and dogmatism.
    If you also agree that an animals suffering should be avoided rather than encouraged, consider what steps you can take.

Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    139 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Noir View Post
    You've (intentionally or not idk) confused the words religion and dogmatism.
    I didn't. You have faith in your religion of atheism. You are dogmatic about your beliefs.
    “… the greatest detractor from high performance is fear: fear that you are not prepared, fear that you are in over your head, fear that you are not worthy, and ultimately, fear of failure. If you can eliminate that fear—not through arrogance or just wishing difficulties away, but through hard work and preparation—you will put yourself in an incredibly powerful position to take on the challenges you face" - Pete Carroll.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I didn't. You have faith in your religion of atheism. You are dogmatic about your beliefs.
    Are you saying you're not dogmatic about your beliefs?

Mentioned
    79 Post(s)

No. The word religion means the worship of a god. There is a Christian religion, and a Jewish one, and a Hindu one etc, however there is no Athiest religion, or climate change religion. However someone can be dogmatic about atheism or climate change etc, as well as a religion.

As I said, you've mixed up the words religion and dogmatism because religion can not be used as an adjective to non-religious terms, whereas dogmatism can.
    If you also agree that an animals suffering should be avoided rather than encouraged, consider what steps you can take.

Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    139 Post(s)

No. The word religion means the worship of a god. There is a Christian religion, and a Jewish one, and a Hindu one etc, however there is no Athiest religion, or climate change religion. However someone can be dogmatic about atheism or climate change etc, as well as a religion.

As I said, you've mixed up the words religion and dogmatism because religion can not be used as an adjective to non-religious terms, whereas dogmatism can.
    You mis-define 'Religion'. Is Science your God? God doesn't have to be a noun.

Quote Originally Posted by dictionary.com
    re·li·gion [ri-lij-uhn]

noun 1. a set of beliefs concerning the cause, nature, and purpose of the universe, especially when considered as the creation of a superhuman agency or agencies, usually involving devotional and ritual observances, and often containing a moral code governing the conduct of human affairs.

2. a specific fundamental set of beliefs and practices generally agreed upon by a number of persons or sects...

Climate Change is ABSOLUTELY a religion - this guy sums it up nicely.

Global Warming has become the core belief in a new eco-theology. The term is used as shorthand for anthropogenic (or man made) global warming. It is closely related to other modern belief systems, such as political correctness, chemophobia and various other forms of scaremongering, but it represents the vanguard in the assault on scientific man.
    The activists now prefer to call it “climate change”. This gives them two advantages:

1. It allows them to seize as “evidence” the inevitable occurrences of unusually cold weather as well as warm ones.
    2. The climate is always changing, so they must be right.

Only the relatively elderly can remember the cynical haste with which the scaremongers dropped the “coming ice age” and embraced exactly the opposite prediction, but aimed at the same culprit – industry. This was in Britain, which was the cradle of the new belief and was a response to the derision resulting from the searing summer of 1976. The father of the new religion was Sir Crispin Tickell, and because he had the ear of Prime Minister, Margaret Thatcher, who was engaged in a battle with the coal miners and the oil sheiks, it was introduced into international politics with the authority of the only major political leader holding a qualification in science. The introduction was timely yet ironic since, in the wake of the world’s political upheavals, a powerful new grouping of left-wing interests was coalescing around environmental issues. The result was a new form of godless religion. The global warming cult has the characteristics of religion and not science for the following reasons.
    Faith and scepticism
    Faith is a belief held without evidence. The scientific method, a loose collection of procedures of great variety, is based on precisely the opposite concept, as famously declared by Thomas Henry Huxley:
    The improver of natural knowledge absolutely refuses to acknowledge authority, as such. For him, scepticism is the highest of duties; blind faith the one unpardonable sin.
    Huxley was one of a long tradition of British sceptical philosophers. From the Bacons, through the likes of Locke, Hume and Russell, to the magnificent climax of Popper’s statement of the principle of falsifiability, the scientific method was painfully established, only to be abandoned in a few short decades. It is one of the great ironies of modern history that the nation that was the cradle of the scientific method came to lead the process of its abandonment. The great difference, then, is that religion demands belief, while science requires disbelief. There is a great variety of faiths. Atheism is just as much a faith as theism. There is no evidence either way. There is no fundamental clash between faith and science – they do not intersect. The difficulties arise, however, when one pretends to be the other.
    The Royal Society, as a major part of the flowering of the tradition, was founded on the basis of scepticism. Its motto “On the word of no one” was a stout affirmation. Now suddenly, following their successful coup, the Greens have changed this motto of centuries to one that manages to be both banal and sinister – “Respect the facts.” When people start talking about “the facts” it is time to start looking for the fictions. Real science does not talk about facts; it talks about observations, which might turn out to be inaccurate or even irrelevant.
    The global warmers like to use the name of science, but they do not like its methods. They promote slogans such a “The science is settled” when real scientists know that science is never settled. They were not, however, always so wise. In 1900, for example, the great Lord Kelvin famously stated, "There is nothing new to be discovered in physics now. All that remains is more and more precise measurement." Within a few years classical physics was shattered by Einstein and his contemporaries. Since then, in science, the debate is never closed.

http://www.numberwatch.co.uk/religion.htm
    Based on the same definition, Atheism CLEARLY fits.

Mentioned
    79 Post(s)

"set of beliefs concerning the cause, nature, and purpose of the universe"

Erm, I don't know the answer to any of those questions, nor does science give any answers, so unless you count 'I don't know' as a belief then I don't see where this 'god science' notion is coming from.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

You mis-define 'Religion'. Is Science your God? God doesn't have to be a noun.

[/COLOR]

Climate Change is ABSOLUTELY a religion - this guy sums it up nicely.

Based on the same definition, Atheism CLEARLY fits.
    Absolutely right. Just because the most widely accepted definition of the word includes the belief in a god of some sort, does not mean that is the ONLY definition. Clearly many atheists are religious zealots.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Religion by definition is faith in God. Atheists don't believe in God. You cannot call a non-belief a religion.

Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    139 Post(s)

"set of beliefs concerning the cause, nature, and purpose of the universe"

Erm, I don't know the answer to any of those questions, nor does science give any answers, so unless you count 'I don't know' as a belief then I don't see where this 'god science' notion is coming from.
    2. a specific fundamental set of beliefs and practices generally agreed upon by a number of persons...

My use of the "Religion" tag to Atheism is grammatically accurate. Accept the truth, brother.

Quote Originally Posted by Wind Song View Post
    Religion by definition is faith in God. Atheists don't believe in God. You cannot call a non-belief a religion.
    What you mean to say:

Religion by MY definition is faith in God. Atheists don't believe in God. I do not call a non-belief a religion.
    Your opinion is your opinion.

Mentioned
    79 Post(s)

My use of the "Religion" tag to Atheism is grammatically accurate. Accept the truth, brother.
    Beliefs and practices, what exactly are the religious practices of being an atheist?

Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    139 Post(s)

Beliefs and practices, what exactly are the religious practices of being an atheist?
    What are your beliefs? You belief God doesn't exist. You practice your life/conduct your life as if your belief is truth. (shrug).

btw - any Gaelic connections to you? I think we're going Gaelic with our puppy's name.

Mentioned
    79 Post(s)

What are your beliefs? You belief God doesn't exist. You practice your life/conduct your life as if your belief is truth. (shrug).

btw - any Gaelic connections to you? I think we're going Gaelic with our puppy's name.
    Okay, well, that makes everything a religion, i.e. I believe blueberries are delicious, and I practice my life, and eating habits, as if my belief is truth. I guess that makes me part of the blueberrie religion.

And I have Scottish Gaelic blood in my ancestry somewhere, but I know little to nothing about it.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Actually, I think pretty much every -ism on the planet pretty much has a death toll attached to it.
    "Government screws up everything. If government says black, you can bet it's white. If government says sit still for your safety, you'd better run for your life!"
    --Wayne Allyn Root
    www.rootforamerica.com
    www.FairTax.org