Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jimnyc View Post
    Are we discussing marriage equality and adoptions - or abortions, which WAS the subject of this thread? I'm confused.

I'm making a case about why people should give a damn about marriage equality. If you'd rather I didn't post the reasons then I won't. Yikes I screwed up and posted this stuff on the wrong thread.

If it's not too much trouble could you move those posts to the thread about banning gay marriage in North Carolina.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Yikes, I just spent a ton of time posting some essays on the wrong thread.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Hey Jim can you move my essays on the reason why marriage equality is important to the other thread?

sorry

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    514 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Wind Song View Post
    Hey Jim can you move my essays on the reason why marriage equality is important to the other thread?

sorry
    Posts and any subsequent replies were moved from the other thread to this one
    “You know the world is going crazy when the best rapper is a white guy, the best golfer is a black guy, the tallest guy in the NBA is Chinese, the Swiss hold the America's Cup, France is accusing the U.S. of arrogance, Germany doesn't want to go to war, and the three most powerful men in America are named "Bush", "Dick", and "Colin." Need I say more?” - Chris Rock

Mentioned
    79 Post(s)

The Catholic Church is against divorce and you cannot remarry in the church once you've done so.
    Only if you got married in a Catholic church, if you got married in say a Protestant church (surprise!) you weren't married at all, according to the Catholics.
    If you also agree that an animals suffering should be avoided rather than encouraged, consider what steps you can take.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Noir View Post
    Only if you got married in a Catholic church, if you got married in say a Protestant church (surprise!) you weren't married at all, according to the Catholics.
    So some of Newtie Gingrich's marriages didn't necessitate a divorce since he wasn't married in the first place? Just asking.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Posts and any subsequent replies were moved from the other thread to this one
    Thank you.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    514 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Noir View Post
    I don't think it's that simple, but I'm not as knowledgeable as others on the subject. From what I recall, the Church doesn't believe in divorce and won't remarry people once they have done so, and you're not to get communion once divorced either. I don't think they just ignore marriages from other Churches and therefore ignore any divorces.
    “You know the world is going crazy when the best rapper is a white guy, the best golfer is a black guy, the tallest guy in the NBA is Chinese, the Swiss hold the America's Cup, France is accusing the U.S. of arrogance, Germany doesn't want to go to war, and the three most powerful men in America are named "Bush", "Dick", and "Colin." Need I say more?” - Chris Rock

Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    139 Post(s)

You can marry your cousin in Tennessee but you can't marry your same sex lover and companion.
    Nor can you marry your pet, house, car, or anything else one simply 'loves'.

Good for the people of the state; deciding how they want to be governed.
    “… the greatest detractor from high performance is fear: fear that you are not prepared, fear that you are in over your head, fear that you are not worthy, and ultimately, fear of failure. If you can eliminate that fear—not through arrogance or just wishing difficulties away, but through hard work and preparation—you will put yourself in an incredibly powerful position to take on the challenges you face" - Pete Carroll.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by dmp View Post
    Nor can you marry your pet, house, car, or anything else one simply 'loves'.

Good for the people of the state; deciding how they want to be governed.

Good for the state preferring incest over marriage equality.

Mentioned
    79 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by tailfins View Post
    So some of Newtie Gingrich's marriages didn't necessitate a divorce since he wasn't married in the first place? Just asking.
    idk enough about his life to comment on him specificly, however, I do know that if you get married outside the Catholic Church, and without their permission, the the marriage is not a valid one, hiw that would apply to him I'm not sure.
    If you also agree that an animals suffering should be avoided rather than encouraged, consider what steps you can take.

Mentioned
    79 Post(s)

I don't think it's that simple, but I'm not as knowledgeable as others on the subject. From what I recall, the Church doesn't believe in divorce and won't remarry people once they have done so, and you're not to get communion once divorced either. I don't think they just ignore marriages from other Churches and therefore ignore any divorces.
    From the Catholic Marriage Centre.

Q. My fiancé and I are both Catholic, and we would like to get married in a Catholic church, however, I am a divorcee. Is it still possible for us to marry in a Catholic church in the UK?

A.
    If your first marriage was valid, and marriage is said to ‘have the favour of law’ that is, it is assumed valid until it is legally proved otherwise, then you are not free to marry again. I quote from the Compendium of the Catechism of the Catholic Church No.349:
    'The Church, since she is faithful to her Lord, cannot recognise the union of people who are civilly divorced and remarried. "Whoever divorces his wife and marries another, commits adultery against her: and if she divorces her husband and marries another, she commits adultery"(Mark 10:11-12). The Church manifests an attentive solicitude towards such people and encourages them to a life of faith, prayer, works of charity and the Christian education of their children. However, they cannot receive sacramental absolution, take Holy Communion, or exercise certain ecclesial responsibilities as long as their situation, which objectively contravenes God's law, persists.'
    And

Q.My fiancé and I are both Catholics and we would like to get married in a Catholic church. However, I am a divorcee, previously married in an Anglican church in Australia. Is it still possible for us to marry in a Catholic Church in the UK?
    A. If you were a Catholic at the time of your marriage in the Anglican Church, and you married without the permission of the Catholic Church, and without the presence of a Catholic priest or deacon to witness your exchange of vows, then that marriage was not valid in the eyes of the Catholic Church. This means you are probably free to marry in the Catholic Church as you would not be, and have not been, married. Your local catholic priest would need to be satisfied of all the relevant information.

If, however, you received permission to marry in an Anglican church, and the appropriate stipulations of the Catholic Church were met, then that would have been a valid marriage; and despite a civil divorce, you would not be free to marry again.
    http://www.catholicmarriagecentre.or...riagefaq.php#f

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)

Good for the state preferring incest over marriage equality.

One nuance you have missed is that many Southern churches worship Southern culture, not Jesus. It's evident that's why you asked me what I would do if I saw a gaggle of gays on the subway or walking down the street. The concern or reasonable is that marriage can be redefined out of existence. I get it that gay "marriage" is not the ONLY or even the chief force at work in this.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by tailfins View Post
    One nuance you have missed is that many Southern churches worship Southern culture, not Jesus. It's evident that's why you asked me what I would do if I saw a gaggle of gays on the subway or walking down the street. The concern or reasonable is that marriage can be redefined out of existence. I get it that gay "marriage" is not the ONLY or even the chief force at work in this.

Is incest "Southern culture"? You can still marry your first cousin in North Carolina. Why aren't the moralists up in arms over that? Legal incest is a far more dangerous law than civil marriage equality.

Marriage will not be re-defined out of existence. For the life of me, I don't understand why anyone cares if gays and lesbians CIVILLY MARRY.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)

Is incest "Southern culture"?
    Ask Jerry Lee Lewis.