Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default Edwards charges $55,000 to speak to UC Davis students about poverty

Democratic presidential candidate John Edwards, who as a Democratic presidential candidate recently proposed an educational policy that urged "every financial barrier" be removed for American kids who want to go to college, has been going to college himself -- as a high paid speaker, his financial records show.

The candidate charged a whopping $55,000 to speak at to a crowd of 1,787 the taxpayer-funded University of California at Davis on Jan. 9, 2006 last year, Joe Martin, the public relations officer for the campus' Mondavi Center confirmed Monday.

That amount -- which comes to about $31 a person in the audience -- included Edwards' travel and airfare, and was the highest speaking fee in the nine appearances he made before colleges and universities last year, according to his financial records.

The earnings -- though made before Edwards was a declared Democratic presidential candidate -- could hand ammunition to his competition for the Democratic presidential nomination. The candidate -- who was then the head of the Center on Poverty, Work and Opportunity at the University of North Carolina -- chose to speak on "Poverty, the great moral issue facing America," as his $55,000 topic at UC Davis.

That could cause both parents and students to note some irony here: UC Davis -- like the rest of the public University of California system -- will get hit this year by a 7 percent tuition increase that likely hits many of the kids his speeches are aimed at helping.

We wondered if this is Edwards' going speaking rate, and how come he didn't offer to do it gratis for a college, particularly a public institution.

But Martin of the Mondavi Center said that "as with any other performer, (the speaking fee) has to be negotiated, and there are a long list of considerations ... some of our speakers get more, and some get less."

He said UC Davis' Mondavi Center paid Edwards because at the time "he wasn't a (presidential) candidate and from our point of view, he was a speaker of interest that people in the community were clearly interested in ... we feel it's our mission to present those speakers."

Edwards spoke to at least two other California universities and colleges, both private.

He appeared at Stanford University, where he spoke on April 26, 2006; the Palo Alto institution paid him $40,000 to deliver his talks, according to financial records. And Edwards also headlined at the former University of Judaism -- today the American Jewish University -- in Los Angeles on Jan. 30, 2006, where he debated former Speaker Newt Gingrich before about 5,000 people. According to financial documents, the candidate received a fee of $40,000 at that appearance.

And the college and university gigs apparently added up on the bottom line for Edwards.

In 2006, records show Edwards made more than $285,000 speaking to nine colleges and universities, charging between $16,000 and Davis' $55,000 for his talks. They ranged from the $12,000 he got on Jan. 10, 2006 from Gonzaga University Law School in Seattle to the $40,000 he banked from the University of Texas Pan American Foundation on May 22, 2006. Other schools that have paid Edwards to speak before he was a declared presidential candidate: Hunter College in New York ($35,000), Mount Union College in Ohio ($16,00) and Vanderbilt University in Nashville ($40,000).

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/blogs/...entry_id=16809

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default Edwards is a Hipocrit........

John Edwards has a really big house
    But I'm trying to figure out why that merited this news story:

Democrat John Edwards, who has made an anti-poverty message the theme of his 2008 presidential campaign, is taking heat for the lavish home he has built in Orange County, N.C.

In December, Edwards chose the backyard of a New Orleans woman who had lost her home to Hurricane Katrina as the image that best underscored his campaign theme.

Now voters are seeing another, sharply contrasting image of Edwards: his own home.

Sitting on 102 secluded acres -- surrounded by trees and defended by no-trespassing signs -- the 28,000-square-foot estate that Edwards and his family call home has presidential privacy.

A main home has five bedrooms and six-and-a-half baths. It's connected by a covered walkway to a bright red addition known as "The Barn," that includes its own living facilities along with a handball court, an indoor pool and an indoor basketball court with a stage at one end. Nearby, the family has cleared space for a soccer field.

With a current building value of $4.3 million, the unfinished Edwards estate is already about $1 million more expensive than any other house in the county, according to tax records. It sits on land worth about $1.1 million.

The implication seems to be that if you're rich - as John Edwards certainly is - you can't be sincere about wanting to fight poverty.

This makes no sense at all. I've yet to hear anybody complaining that Bill and Melinda Gates are hypocrites for the excellent work that their foundation does, for example.

It is, of course, the kind of non-story that political opponents - whether they're other Democrats seeking the 2008 presidential nominations, or Republicans who'll face him if he nabs it - like to see out there. I'm just surprised that the so-called "liberal media" is giving it play.

Generally anybody running for president is going to be wealthier than the average American - often considerably wealthier. Whether that's a good thing, a bad thing, or just how life works is sometime we could debate.

Why should his extravagant home make us think he doesn't care about poor people? Should we demand that everybody running for president give away their own wealth? Edwards has talked about how he came from a modest background and achieved success... and if anything, the house is a sign of that story, which seems to be true.

But what's the news here?

http://blogs.chron.com/bluebayou/200...lly_big_1.html

If you attack the Clintons publically make sure all your friends know your not planning on commiting suicide ~ McCain 2008
    Happiness is Obama's picture on the back of a milk carton.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Its different simply owning.

If you give me $55,000 I will tell you how to get out of poverty...

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default ...........

Quote Originally Posted by Yurt View Post
    Its different simply owning.

If you give me $55,000 I will tell you how to get out of poverty...
    Up until recently I really liked Edwards and I feel bad for him because of his wife's medical condition. I think out of all the Democratic Candidates he would do the least amount of damage. But charging people at a state funded school? How low can you get, I could possibly see expenses liike travel and room and board, but $55,000 damn. Then the while double standards thing about his house, I just dont know anymore. I mean I should have expected it from a Liberal, but I guess im just dissapointed that's all.

If you attack the Clintons publically make sure all your friends know your not planning on commiting suicide ~ McCain 2008

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

While I will admit that I do find it a tad hypocritical, like it or not they all get paid for giving speeches.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Former New York mayor Rudolph W. Giuliani has continued to make paid speeches at a standard fee of $100,000 since forming his presidential exploratory committee last November, mixing personal business with campaigning in a way many of his rivals in the race cannot.

Edwards, "actually canceled a paid appearance that had been scheduled long before he became a candidate," spokeswoman Kate Bedingfield said

~
    The former New York mayor has made a profitable career of speaking at seminars around the world. Eric Money, a recent Oklahoma State University graduate, arranged to bring Giuliani to the school last March for $100,000 and, as is customary, agreed to fly the mayor to town on a corporate jet, for an additional $47,000.

"He cost a lot of money, obviously, and some people were surprised at that, and a little taken aback," Money said yesterday. "But he's a big name and was a possible presidential contender, and in the end, I thought his whole leadership message was very appealing."

Money said his only regret about the speech was that Giuliani did not shed any light on his presidential ambitions, or about his views of the 2008 campaign.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn...021401700.html
    Last edited by loosecannon; 05-22-2007 at 12:58 AM.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default ........

I dont think ANY polititian Republican or Democrat should make money off of speaking at Universities, it makes me sick. I could see at maybe a fundraiser event or speaking at a national confrence or something but not anywhere in the Education System.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default .........

Quote Originally Posted by lily View Post
    While I will admit that I do find it a tad hypocritical, like it or not they all get paid for giving speeches.
    I agree with them getting paid for giving speeches, except at schools or for educsational purposes.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

What's the problem?

John Edwards received a fee but that doesn't mean anyone was denied admission because he couldn't pay it. Maybe no one was charged an admission fee because the University allowed free admission. Maybe students paid a reduced fee.

Everyone wants to get paid for working. Why shouldn't John Edwards?
    Building a better America by hammering the Right.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by nevadamedic View Post
    I dont think ANY polititian Republican or Democrat should make money off of speaking at Universities, it makes me sick. I could see at maybe a fundraiser event or speaking at a national confrence or something but not anywhere in the Education System.
    I don't think Giuliani or Edwards were "current" politicians when they made their speech.

Unlike the example of Giuliani, Edwards was paid to talk about poverty. Whether you like it or not, the irony is there.

Like I said:

If you give me $55,000 I will show you how to get out of poverty...

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

and this everyone, is why i am not poor...now where's that check? *yoink*

Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    139 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Steel View Post
    What's the problem?

John Edwards received a fee but that doesn't mean anyone was denied admission because he couldn't pay it. Maybe no one was charged an admission fee because the University allowed free admission. Maybe students paid a reduced fee.

Everyone wants to get paid for working. Why shouldn't John Edwards?
    The point is the IRONY of the HUGE fee and the TOPIC. Perhaps he should have spoken about "How to make a KILLING by spouting your opinion"

“… the greatest detractor from high performance is fear: fear that you are not prepared, fear that you are in over your head, fear that you are not worthy, and ultimately, fear of failure. If you can eliminate that fear—not through arrogance or just wishing difficulties away, but through hard work and preparation—you will put yourself in an incredibly powerful position to take on the challenges you face" - Pete Carroll.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by dmp View Post
    The point is the IRONY of the HUGE fee and the TOPIC. Perhaps he should have spoken about "How to make a KILLING by spouting your opinion"

Well he charged about 1/3 of what Guilianni would have charged to proclaim that only he can keep us safe.

It is a sorta grotesque sampling of the kind of celebrity for profit status our representation has ascended to.

In real ways we are becoming sort of a joke as a nation and a democracy.

Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    139 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by loosecannon View Post
    Well he charged about 1/3 of what Guilianni would have charged to proclaim that only he can keep us safe.

It is a sorta grotesque sampling of the kind of celebrity for profit status our representation has ascended to.

In real ways we are becoming sort of a joke as a nation and a democracy.
    Logical Fallacy - you're changing the topic to avoid answering my comments.
    “… the greatest detractor from high performance is fear: fear that you are not prepared, fear that you are in over your head, fear that you are not worthy, and ultimately, fear of failure. If you can eliminate that fear—not through arrogance or just wishing difficulties away, but through hard work and preparation—you will put yourself in an incredibly powerful position to take on the challenges you face" - Pete Carroll.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by dmp View Post
    Logical Fallacy - you're changing the topic to avoid answering my comments.
    Sorry but the fallacy is yours.

You didn't ask any questions.

I did address your comments.

Whatever irony you may find in the subject vs the fee is mitigated quite a lot by the fact that Edwards charges about a third of Guilianni's fee.