Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default Ted Bundy worked volunteer at a crisis hotline

Bet you didn't know that.
    ‎'Is there anything wrong with anything.' Is that what you're asking, friendo?

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Anton Chigurh View Post
    Bet you didn't know that.
    He wanted to get inside the head of "victims" maybe?

Ted Bundy quote...

“Well-meaning, decent people will condemn the behavior of a Ted Bundy, while they're walking past a magazine rack full of the very kinds of things that send young kids down the road to be Ted Bundys.”

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Shadow View Post
    He wanted to get inside the head of "victims" maybe?

Ted Bundy quote...

“Well-meaning, decent people will condemn the behavior of a Ted Bundy, while they're walking past a magazine rack full of the very kinds of things that send young kids down the road to be Ted Bundys.”
    Very insightful and intelligent post. Well done.

Notice the classic blame shifting and victimology of the proven sociopath, as shown in his statement?

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Author Ann Rule worked side by side alone with Bundy on many long, late overnight shifts at the crisis hotline. She never had the slightest, vaguest clue of what he was...

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

He brought up an interesting question. What motivates a serial killer. So, I answered it.
    And it is a family dynamics topic because like all sociopaths, Bundy always claimed it was nurture, not nature, that made him the way he was. Blamed his mother and a rough stepfather. Blamed his family dynamics. Never took any personal responsibility.

He played the victim, until the lights in Stark dimmed.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

He brought up an interesting question. What motivates a serial killer. So, I answered it.

So be it. I wish you well. Good luck.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

And it is a family dynamics topic because like all sociopaths, Bundy always claimed it was nurture, not nature, that made him the way he was. Blamed his mother and a rough stepfather. Blamed his family dynamics. Never took any personal responsibility.

He played the victim, until the lights in Stark dimmed.
    I don't really believe it is necessarily one or the other exclusively. Both play their parts in our lives, and to dismiss either one is to dismiss a portion of ourselves. We far too often try to fit complicated problems into neat little lines, especially making things into straight A or B decisions.

Actually, my general opinion on this is that it oddly enough makes sense that Bundy was on a hotline. It may not even have been a part of his hunt, but a legitimately good deed. It in no way makes up for the monstrous things he did, but there is no such thing as pure evil. Even Satan was at one point an angel.
    "Government screws up everything. If government says black, you can bet it's white. If government says sit still for your safety, you'd better run for your life!"
    --Wayne Allyn Root
    www.rootforamerica.com
    www.FairTax.org

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Cuddle up to a psychopath. After all, even Hitler was kind to his dog.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Wind Song View Post
    Cuddle up to a psychopath. After all, even Hitler was kind to his dog.
    Never said to cuddle up to them. As I said, doing one nice thing does not make up for the horrible things that mass murderers and serial killers do, but denying that there was ever any good within them is false.
    "Government screws up everything. If government says black, you can bet it's white. If government says sit still for your safety, you'd better run for your life!"
    --Wayne Allyn Root
    www.rootforamerica.com
    www.FairTax.org

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by DragonStryk72 View Post
    Never said to cuddle up to them. As I said, doing one nice thing does not make up for the horrible things that mass murderers and serial killers do, but denying that there was ever any good within them is false.
    I agree. I was particularly struck by that when I read Lionel Dahmer's book about his son, Jeffrey.

I don't like dealing with people who deliberately try and fuck with you, or scare you, because they get off on it. Brrrr. Gives me the willies.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I don't really believe it is necessarily one or the other exclusively. Both play their parts in our lives, and to dismiss either one is to dismiss a portion of ourselves. We far too often try to fit complicated problems into neat little lines, especially making things into straight A or B decisions.

Actually, my general opinion on this is that it oddly enough makes sense that Bundy was on a hotline. It may not even have been a part of his hunt, but a legitimately good deed. It in no way makes up for the monstrous things he did, but there is no such thing as pure evil. Even Satan was at one point an angel.
    Ann Rule herself later said that even though she had finally accepted all Bundy had done, she knew for a fact that he saved some lives too. She was there.

The true sociopath is a evolutionary inferior, didn't get the higher emotional functions of empathy, compassion, and etc, from birth. And many of them have said in interviews that they knew it too, early in life, they they were different.

John Wayne Gacy described his first realization, at age 6.... When his mother died he went to the funeral, cried, did everything he knew he was supposed to mimic... Then when it was over just went and watched TV. As he said himself, "Because it did not matter to me, you see?"

Being the perfect predator, they are very intelligent also and learn early on to mimic the higher order emotions they can already see they're supposed to have - and they lack. This also makes them very envious of "normal" people, and they even delude themselves into believing they are the superior. This also is why they carefully construct the most likeable, noble personality they can - volunteering in crisis hotlines and etc is just part of the veneer, the act. The disguise.

The above, from Bundy himself ironically.

I would term it 90% nature, 10% nurture. For the true sociopath that is.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    204 Post(s)

I'm guessing he used the 'crisis line' to help find his victims.

"The government is a child that has found their parents credit card, and spends knowing that they never have to reconcile the bill with their own money"-Shannon Churchill

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Kathianne View Post
    No, that wasn't part of his M.O. at all. It was part of his mask.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Ann Rule herself later said that even though she had finally accepted all Bundy had done, she knew for a fact that he saved some lives too. She was there.

The true sociopath is a evolutionary inferior, didn't get the higher emotional functions of empathy, compassion, and etc, from birth. And many of them have said in interviews that they knew it too, early in life, they they were different.

John Wayne Gacy described hit first realization, at age 6.... When his mother died he went to the funeral, cried, did everything he knew he was supposed to mimic... Then when it was over just went and watched TV. As he said himself, "Because it did not matter to me, you see?"

Being the perfect predator, they are very intelligent also and learn early on to mimic the higher order emotions they can already see they're supposed to have - and they lack. This also makes them very envious of "normal" people, and they even delude themselves into believing they are the superior. This also is why they carefully construct the most likeable, noble personality they can - volunteering in crisis hotlines and etc is just part of the veneer, the act. The disguise.

The above, from Bundy himself ironically.

I would term it 90% nature, 10% nurture. For the true sociopath that is.
    I don't know that we'll ever have a full answer to that. Certainly there are numerous sociopaths who do not get up to serial killing, or even killing period, maybe because they have parents who catch it early, or it's just not the bent that there mental problems take.
    --Wayne Allyn Root
    www.rootforamerica.com
    www.FairTax.org

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Kathianne View Post
    I don't think he did. He had a general strategy of having a fake broken arm and needing "help". He was good looking, no one would be able to tell the evil in his heart by his appearance.

Imagine how disturbing it would be to find out someone you know is capable of this.

The closest I've come is weird rural neighbors, and accidentally finding a guy I knew in the community, (very prominent position at our local mill) who was on Megan's list. He was so well received in our office. yuck. I wanted to vomit when I saw his mugshot in there.