Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default Forum Suggestion

I would like a sub forum on JUST the US Constitution.

A forum where we would discuss not just our opinions on what the COTUS presently says but also where we would discuss what we WISH it said.

I know a lot of our current threads end up talking about such things anyway, but I would like a forum where that is the focus. IE if we're discussing whether abortion is a constitutionally protected right, THAT is what we discuss without meandering into whether abortion is right or wrong.

If that makes sense.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    514 Post(s)

I've got no issue with a COTUS/SCOTUS (of course many case will be constitutionally related). But lets ensure there is a need and a community desire. But creating it will be the easy part

If I get a "2nd" and a "3rd" on the motion, I will create. If it dies out down the road the posts can always be merged to another forum.
    “You know the world is going crazy when the best rapper is a white guy, the best golfer is a black guy, the tallest guy in the NBA is Chinese, the Swiss hold the America's Cup, France is accusing the U.S. of arrogance, Germany doesn't want to go to war, and the three most powerful men in America are named "Bush", "Dick", and "Colin." Need I say more?” - Chris Rock

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jimnyc View Post
    I've got no issue with a COTUS/SCOTUS (of course many case will be constitutionally related). But lets ensure there is a need and a community desire. But creating it will be the easy part

If I get a "2nd" and a "3rd" on the motion, I will create. If it dies out down the road the posts can always be merged to another forum.
    Obviously I don't expect a forum to be created just for me, and how boring that would be, but I would LOVE to see it happen.

Vote people.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    514 Post(s)

And while discussing forums, and perhaps a new one that could see some use - please everyone let me know if you think any of our current forums in the line-up are useless or overkill. I'm game to mixing things up a tad, but the majority of forums we have are based on community feedback.
    “You know the world is going crazy when the best rapper is a white guy, the best golfer is a black guy, the tallest guy in the NBA is Chinese, the Swiss hold the America's Cup, France is accusing the U.S. of arrogance, Germany doesn't want to go to war, and the three most powerful men in America are named "Bush", "Dick", and "Colin." Need I say more?” - Chris Rock

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    88 Post(s)

I think it would be interesting. Perhaps a sticky with the Constitution so the entire text is ready and available for reference.
    If the freedom of speech is taken away
    then dumb and silent we may be led,
    like sheep to the slaughter.

George Washington (1732-1799) First President of the USA.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    88 Post(s)

And while discussing forums, and perhaps a new one that could see some use - please everyone let me know if you think any of our current forums in the line-up are useless or overkill. I'm game to mixing things up a tad, but the majority of forums we have are based on community feedback.
    I never go to the list of Forums....I use the "unread posts" at the upper right corner of page. The only time I use Forum is when I want to post a thread and I have to go find the right Forum. I like to read stuff from all the forums, however, I do know there are those that just stick to a forum and don't browse around much.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by SassyLady View Post
    I think it would be interesting. Perhaps a sticky with the Constitution so the entire text is ready and available for reference.
    That's a 2nd PLUS a great suggestion. Personally, I LOVE this site http://www.usconstitution.net/constsearch.html
    Last edited by ConHog; 06-01-2012 at 07:12 PM.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    514 Post(s)

I assume that's a 2nd, and another excellent idea attached to it! Anyone care to find an "official" text of the COTUS that we would be able to use? Even if referred from elsewhere, I highly doubt we need to cite the original author of the document!

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I assume that's a 2nd, and another excellent idea attached to it! Anyone care to find an "official" text of the COTUS that we would be able to use? Even if referred from elsewhere, I highly doubt we need to cite the original author of the document!
    We posted at the same time, and I provided a link to a searchable version of the COTUS

btw T Jefferson is the author and he's probably okay with not being cited. LOL

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    514 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ConHog View Post
    We posted at the same time, and I provided a link to a searchable version of the COTUS

btw T Jefferson is the author and he's probably okay with not being cited. LOL
    Here would be my preferable version, plain 'ol text - http://www.usconstitution.net/const.txt

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    88 Post(s)

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I think IF this forum gets done every amendment should get its own thread where we can argue about what it actually means.

Then separate threads when situations arise where constitutionality is an issue. Obamacare for example, let's have a discussion about the legality of it. Not about whether it's the right thing to do , or can we afford it, just does the government have the authority?

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    88 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ConHog View Post
    I think IF this forum gets done every amendment should get its own thread where we can argue about what it actually means.

Then separate threads when situations arise where constitutionality is an issue. Obamacare for example, let's have a discussion about the legality of it. Not about whether it's the right thing to do , or can we afford it, just does the government have the authority?
    Does it really matter anymore to the government whether they have the authority? We can debate all day about whether they do or don't, but they will do what they want anyway. It would be ideal if people would actually get up in arms about it when it is, actually, proven that there is not authority.

However, I have found that anything can be twisted to suit those who are in power at the moment. As I've aged I've come to know how powerful the SCOTUS is and how important the appointments are.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Does it really matter anymore to the government whether they have the authority? We can debate all day about whether they do or don't, but they will do what they want anyway. It would be ideal if people would actually get up in arms about it when it is, actually, proven that there is not authority.

However, I have found that anything can be twisted to suit those who are in power at the moment. As I've aged I've come to know how powerful the SCOTUS is and how important the appointments are.
    Which is why we need this forum to discuss. Where is our third?

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)

I'm new ,fresh off the boat, but I'll third that iffin' its ok with you guys.
    I'll even suggest a few fresh mandates I'd like placed in the Constitution.
    Here tis,

Absolutely no man that thinks United States consists of 59 states("57 states, two more to go") shall be eligible to hold any public office greater than that of small town dog catcher!

Any man to stuuuuuuupid to even know that Memorial day and Veteran's day aren't the same holiday shall be denied the right to hold any public office and that includes dog catcher!

Any man that lies like a rug, apologises for America's greatness and has eaten dog shall not hold any office at any location in America.

Obama clearly hates the greatest governing document ever known by man..
    That leaves me with but one option. To call him scum...--Tyr

p.s. Can we get an American flag in the Icons???
    18 U.S. Code § 2381-Treason Whoever, owing allegiance to the United States, levies war against them or adheres to their enemies, giving them aid and comfort within the United States or elsewhere, is guilty of treason and shall suffer death, or shall be imprisoned not less than five years and fined under this title but not less than $10,000; and shall be incapable of holding any office under the United States.