Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default The Second Amendment

A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

Here's one I have a beef with SOME conservatives about. Nowhere in that does it say the government can't outlaw certain types of weapons. It merely says that they can't keep us from owning weapons in general. Do I believe that means the government can outlaw ownership of everything but revolvers and lever rod rifles? No of course not; but where the line should be drawn is a separate issue from "can the government in fact draw a line?"

On a related note, I also don't believe the 2nd means the government can't restrict where we can carry guns. In the time frame the COTUS was written Bear Arms meant own weapons, and in fact in many colonial cities of the era it was illegal to carry a gun in town. That's why duels were legal but always took place outside city limits. It wasn't until the wild west where we seen gunfights happening on main street, and that was actually much less common than the movies would have you believe.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Well CH, Your argument seems to be revolve around how and, perhaps more importantly, by whom we define the terms 'arms' and 'infringed'.

Infringe carries two definitions. The first is to break or violate a treaty, law or right. As the Constitutional amendments are, in general, not to be broken, it would seem this definition would be inapplicable; as such wording could have been omitted were this to be the meaning. I think it would be dismissive of the legislative intent to assume this meaning.
    The second definition for infringe, To break in or encroach upon something, would indicate that any transgression remotely related to the right of the People to keep and bear arms would be an infringement, and duly forbidden by this amendment. However, this invites speculation on, not only the meaning of arms, but also 'a well-regulated militia' and 'to keep and bear'.
    As the colloquial use of what consititutes 'arms' have certainly expanded in their capabilities, I think it's necessary to define the latter two phrases in order to define the former.

The purpose of a well- regulated militia was to mount a defence against a standing army, which had elsewhere already been conveyed to Congress as a power to raise and support. The wording of the amendment, were it intended to be regulated by legislatures, rather federal or state, it assuredly would have been, but it was not. Therefore it would indicate the militia should bear the arms of those whom the founders feared would be used against the People: a domestic standing army; the national guard or police. This accounts for those argument of heavy weaponry, tanks, artillery etc.; that so long as the standing army shall neither keep nor bear any of these arms, nor shall the People. Clearly we have in this country a clear violation of the second amendment, with ripening conditions for tyranny that need not heed any other right of the People-- exactly as our founders has proscribed.

As for the meaning of 'to keep and bear', I look to my previous explanations. As the defense from tyranny is the primary intent, it would be a rational regulation of such a militia to bear arms at such a place or time such a tyranny would manifest. A private residence or business doesn't afford tyranny a public manifestation; thus, the right may be restricted by the coextensive right to privacy. Similarly, a government building would not be location which would manifest tyranny. As it is necessary for the government to express its views, no matter how egregious, it must have a place to express it; gov't acting upon those beyond the confines of the building would be a manifestation. Thus the limitation of bearing arms within the confines of the building would be limited; whereas outside in the public arena, that right of the People to keep and bear arms would be intact.

I Understand the meaning of ' to keep' gives each person a right to personal possession, as opposed to some central repository of said arms. That if the machine guns of the national guard, for example, were kept in such a manner as to be in the personal possession of its soldiers (as opposed to the base), than so shall the people have that right. Similarly, that as police officers may possess high-capacity magazines and assault weapons in perpetuity, outside their assigned time and place of their duties, they too keep arms wih the intent of being ever-ready to bear them. Respective of the proscribed intent of the second amendment, such actions by authorization of a legislature qualify as a standing army; and when such authorization coincides with a limitation of the people to keep such arms, there is an infringement upon the people's second amendment right.
    Last edited by logroller; 06-02-2012 at 07:37 PM.
    He who learns must suffer. And even in our sleep pain that cannot forget falls drop by drop upon the heart, and in our own despair, against our will, comes wisdom to us by the awful grace of God.AeschylusRead more at http://www.brainyquote.com/quotes/qu...zeMUwcpY1Io.99

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by logroller View Post
    Well CH, Your argument seems to be revolve around how and, perhaps more importantly, by whom we define the terms 'arms' and 'infringed'.

Infringe carries two definitions. The first is to break or violate a treaty, law or right. As the Constitutional amendments are, in general, not to be broken, it would seem this definition would be inapplicable; as such wording could have been omitted were this to be the meaning. I think it would be dismissive of the legislative intent to assume this meaning.
    The second definition for infringe, To break in or encroach upon something, would indicate that any transgression remotely related to the right of the People to keep and bear arms would be an infringement, and duly forbidden by this amendment. However, this invites speculation on, not only the meaning of arms, but also 'a well-regulated militia' and 'to keep and bear'.
    As the colloquial use of what consititutes 'arms' have certainly expanded in their capabilities, I think it's necessary to define the latter two phrases in order to define the former.

The purpose of a well- regulated militia was to mount a defence against a standing army, which had elsewhere already been conveyed to Congress as a power to raise and support. The wording of the amendment, were it intended to be regulated by legislatures, rather federal or state, it assuredly would have been, but it was not. Therefore it would indicate the militia should bear the arms of those whom the founders feared would be used against the People: a domestic standing army; the national guard or police. This accounts for those argument of heavy weaponry, tanks, artillery etc.; that so long as the standing army shall neither keep nor bear any of these arms, nor shall the People. Clearly we have in this country a clear violation of the second amendment, with ripening conditions for tyranny that need not heed any other right of the People-- exactly as our founders has proscribed.

As for the meaning of 'to keep and bear', I look to my previous explanations. As the defense from tyranny is the primary intent, it would be a rational regulation of such a militia to bear arms at such a place or time such a tyranny would manifest. A private residence or business doesn't afford tyranny a public manifestation; thus, the right may be restricted by the coextensive right to privacy. Similarly, a government building would not be location which would manifest tyranny. As it is necessary for the government to express its views, no matter how egregious, it must have a place to express it; gov't acting upon those beyond the confines of the building would be a manifestation. Thus the limitation of bearing arms within the confines of the building would be limited; whereas outside in the public arena, that right of the People to keep and bear arms would be intact.

I Understand the meaning of ' to keep' gives each person a right to personal possession, as opposed to some central repository of said arms. That if the machine guns of the national guard, for example, were kept in such a manner as to be in the personal possession of its soldiers (as opposed to the base), than so shall the people have that right. Similarly, that as police officers may possess high-capacity magazines and assault weapons in perpetuity, outside their assigned time and place of their duties, they too keep arms wih the intent of being ever-ready to bear them. Respective of the proscribed intent of the second amendment, such actions by authorization of a legislature qualify as a standing army; and when such authorization coincides with a limitation of the people to keep such arms, there is an infringement upon the people's second amendment right.
    You make a GREAT case for why the National Guard should always remain under state authority rather than federal.

But not much of one for why the 2nd says that individuals should be able to buy whatever weapons they want without any sort of registration nor limits.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ConHog View Post
    You make a GREAT case for why the National Guard should always remain under state authority rather than federal.

But not much of one for why the 2nd says that individuals should be able to buy whatever weapons they want without any sort of registration nor limits.
    Im not saying that at all; clearly the state police need a federal check to their authority; the national guard provides that. As to the second point, I didn't say whatever weapons, just those the state could bring to bear against its own people. For example, should the national guard possess heavy machine guns? I dont think so, but if they do, then so can I.
    He who learns must suffer. And even in our sleep pain that cannot forget falls drop by drop upon the heart, and in our own despair, against our will, comes wisdom to us by the awful grace of God.AeschylusRead more at http://www.brainyquote.com/quotes/qu...zeMUwcpY1Io.99

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Im not saying that at all; clearly the state police need a federal check to their authority; the national guard provides that. As to the second point, I didn't say whatever weapons, just those the state could bring to bear against its own people. For example, should the national guard possess heavy machine guns? I dont think so, but if they do, then so can I.
    So you're saying that if the federal government can limit the weapons YOU can buy then they should also be able to limit the weapons that state national guards should be able to buy? That's just crazy talk, and in fact there is actually NOTHING in the COTUS which prevents the government from doing exactly what they are doing now.

If the 2nd specified that whatever limits were put on the people would also be put on states, you would have a valid point, but it doesn't mention limits at all and so the USG has the authority to set one limit for you and one limit for someone else.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

So you're saying that if the federal government can limit the weapons YOU can buy then they should also be able to limit the weapons that state national guards should be able to buy? That's just crazy talk,
    And you inverted what I mean. If certain arms are deemed unnecessary for a well-regulated militia; then neither should those arms be necessary for the state militia; i.e. domestic police. I mean, what is a militia, and why is it that the state militia has one rule, and the People's militia is designated differently under the second amendment. That is infringement.

in fact there is actually NOTHING in the COTUS which prevents the government from doing exactly what they are doing now.

Nothing... except the second amendment.
    If the 2nd specified that whatever limits were put on the people would also be put on states, you would have a valid point, but it doesn't mention limits at all and so the USG has the authority to set one limit for you and one limit for someone else.
    It doesn't mention limits....indeed it expressly forbids them; that's what shall not be infringed means.
    I think we can bicker about what a well-regulated militia means, and rather all People who possess firearms do so pursuant to that reasoning; but to say the State can have one set of rules and the People another is clearly a recipe for tyranny CH--you can't honestly deny that?

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

Here's one I have a beef with SOME conservatives about. Nowhere in that does it say the government can't outlaw certain types of weapons. It merely says that they can't keep us from owning weapons in general. Do I believe that means the government can outlaw ownership of everything but revolvers and lever rod rifles? No of course not; but where the line should be drawn is a separate issue from "can the government in fact draw a line?"

On a related note, I also don't believe the 2nd means the government can't restrict where we can carry guns. In the time frame the COTUS was written Bear Arms meant own weapons, and in fact in many colonial cities of the era it was illegal to carry a gun in town. That's why duels were legal but always took place outside city limits. It wasn't until the wild west where we seen gunfights happening on main street, and that was actually much less common than the movies would have you believe.
    As opposed to the mass murders occurring in "gun-free" areas? The only thing that declaring an area off limits to guns does is provide a simple way for criminals to determine the best places to hit. The matter of where guns aren't allowed isn't really a government issue, in so much as a common sense issue.
    "Government screws up everything. If government says black, you can bet it's white. If government says sit still for your safety, you'd better run for your life!"
    --Wayne Allyn Root
    www.rootforamerica.com
    www.FairTax.org

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by DragonStryk72 View Post
    As opposed to the mass murders occurring in "gun-free" areas? The only thing that declaring an area off limits to guns does is provide a simple way for criminals to determine the best places to hit. The matter of where guns aren't allowed isn't really a government issue, in so much as a common sense issue.
    I would tend to agree with you. My only argument is that the government CAN limit where and what you may own. I do NOT argue that they SHOULD do so.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

I would tend to agree with you. My only argument is that the government CAN limit where and what you may own. I do NOT argue that they SHOULD do so.
    State government can, the Fed cannot, as it is not amongst the enumerated powers.
    "Government screws up everything. If government says black, you can bet it's white. If government says sit still for your safety, you'd better run for your life!"
    --Wayne Allyn Root
    www.rootforamerica.com
    www.FairTax.org

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)

State government can, the Fed cannot, as it is not amongst the enumerated powers.
    State and local governments are also forbidden by the 2nd, from restricting or banning people's guns. Its language is very clear, and does not restrict itself to only the Fed, as I explained here:
    http://www.debatepolicy.com/showthre...158#post553158

Some state and local governments obviously don't know that. But since when is ignorance of the law, an acceptable excuse to violate the law?
    Last edited by Little-Acorn; 06-04-2012 at 02:14 PM.
    "The social contract exists so that everyone doesn’t have to squat in the dust holding a spear to protect his woman and his meat all day every day. It does not exist so that the government can take your spear, your meat, and your woman because it knows better what to do with them." - Instapundit.com

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Nobody seems to refute this being an enumerated power.
    To provide for organizing, arming, and disciplining, the Militia, and for governing such Part of them as may be employed in the Service of the United States, reserving to the States respectively, the Appointment of the Officers,
    and the Authority of training the Militia according to the discipline prescribed by Congress;

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)

Nobody seems to refute this being an enumerated power.
    See my comments on how the 2nd modifies the Commerce Clause, in Post #50. The same reasoning applies to the Militia language you cited.
    "The social contract exists so that everyone doesn’t have to squat in the dust holding a spear to protect his woman and his meat all day every day. It does not exist so that the government can take your spear, your meat, and your woman because it knows better what to do with them." - Instapundit.com

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

You're wrong IMO.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    204 Post(s)

So you believe that the SCOTUS will rule for Obama health reform, forcing purchase?

"The government is a child that has found their parents credit card, and spends knowing that they never have to reconcile the bill with their own money"-Shannon Churchill

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Kathianne View Post
    So you believe that the SCOTUS will rule for Obama health reform, forcing purchase?
    I don't see how the two are comparable. One is saying you can't own X , the other is saying you MUST own Y.