Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default The Fourth Amendment

The right of the people to be secure in their persons, houses, papers, and effects, against unreasonable searches and seizures, shall not be violated, and no Warrants shall issue, but upon probable cause, supported by Oath or affirmation, and particularly describing the place to be searched, and the persons or things to be seized

Another Amendment that people sometimes incorrectly cite.

For example, if you CHOOSE to fly, you have lost all reasonable expectations of privacy; so claims that the TSA searches are unconstitutional are invalid.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ConHog View Post
    The right of the people to be secure in their persons, houses, papers, and effects, against unreasonable searches and seizures, shall not be violated, and no Warrants shall issue, but upon probable cause, supported by Oath or affirmation, and particularly describing the place to be searched, and the persons or things to be seized

For example, if you CHOOSE to fly, you have lost all reasonable expectations of privacy; so claims that the TSA searches are unconstitutional are invalid.
    So, you're saying the TSA has "probable" cause AND a valid warrant? And are an arm of the criminal justice system?
    UNITED STATES ARMY AVIATION

Above the Best

Why the Hell should I have to press “1” for ENGLISH?

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. P View Post
    So, you're saying the TSA has "probable" cause AND a valid warrant? And are an arm of the criminal justice system?
    I'm saying that walking into an airport is the equivalent of telling a LEO who has pulled you over for speeding that you consent to his searching your person and vehicle.

See you are showing a prime example of what I am talking about, A LEO doesn't have to have probable cause if you give permission.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

I'm saying that walking into an airport is the equivalent of telling a LEO who has pulled you over for speeding that you consent to his searching your person and vehicle.

See you are showing a prime example of what I am talking about, A LEO doesn't have to have probable cause if you give permission.
    I'm not showing any such example. I asked a question. You clarified. Now are you saying TSA is LEO?

Above the Best

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I'm not showing any such example. I asked a question. You clarified. Now are you saying TSA is LEO?

For intent and purpose, yes. Same as say Game and Fish, or Coast Guard, or Secret Service, or what have you

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

For intent and purpose, yes. Same as say Game and Fish, or Coast Guard, or Secret Service, or what have you
    Game an Fish are LEOs as well a SS. Coasties are DOD.

Above the Best

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Game an Fish are LEOs as well a SS. Coasties are DOD.
    Coasties have LEO authority. SS is treasury department, as are IRS agents who have arresting authority.

Now of course that opens up another thread of how many freaking federal policing agencies do we need.........

But in actuality , unless things have changed since the last time I looked , TSA agents have no arresting powers, BUT there searches and such are conducted as agents of the local police. If an arrest need be made though the local police make said arrest. I won't swear that is still right, but I think it is.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I believe that if a person chooses to fly, they have the right not to be treated like a criminal. It is shameful that Americans cannot get on a plane without being groped first. They are not criminals, so stop treating them like criminals!
    "You fool! You fell victim to one of the classic blunders – The most famous of which is “never get involved in a land war in Asia” – but only slightly less well-known is this: “Never go against a Sicilian when death is on the line”! - Vizzini (The Princess Bride)
    http://mywinterstorm83.livejournal.com/

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

So what you are saying is: People who are performing a completely legal act in a legal manner, and who have not been pulled over for any violation at all, are criminals?
    "Government screws up everything. If government says black, you can bet it's white. If government says sit still for your safety, you'd better run for your life!"
    --Wayne Allyn Root
    www.rootforamerica.com
    www.FairTax.org

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Nell's Room View Post
    I believe that if a person chooses to fly, they have the right not to be treated like a criminal. It is shameful that Americans cannot get on a plane without being groped first. They are not criminals, so stop treating them like criminals!
    Quote Originally Posted by DragonStryk72 View Post
    So what you are saying is: People who are performing a completely legal act in a legal manner, and who have not been pulled over for any violation at all, are criminals?

No, there is a VAST difference between a search and treating someone like a criminal. I get searched when I go to UA football games, it's pretty low key and I don't feel like a criminal at all. Just as an example.

To be fair, I've also flown many times post 9/11 and never felt like a criminal either, but I acknowledge that some of the searches aren't performed correctly.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

As much as I despite the TSA, I think you have a valid point.

The Fourth Amendment protects us from unreasonable search and seizure without a warrant. It doesn't say anything about reasonable search and seizure. And it can be argued that it's reasonable to be searched for protection. Im not entirely sure I like that. But if we are going by the letter of the law...
    If we were as industrious to become good as to make ourselves great, we should become really great by being good, and the number of valuable men would be much increased; but it is a grand mistake to think of being great without goodness; and i pronounce it as certain that there was never yet a truly great man that was not at the same time truly virtuous." - Ben Franklin

Imagine what good we can do if we all joined together, united as followers of Christ - M. Russell Ballard

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I
    Quote Originally Posted by avatar4321 View Post

The Fourth Amendment protects us from unreasonable search and seizure without a warrant. It doesn't say anything about reasonable search and seizure. And it can be argued that it's reasonable to be searched for protection. Im not entirely sure I like that. But if we are going by the letter of the law...
    I dont know about you but thats exactly what i want, a government that follows the letter of the law. They cant be trusted to use judgement

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

I

I dont know about you but thats exactly what i want, a government that follows the letter of the law. They cant be trusted to use judgement
    Indeed, but discretion can take a foul turn even under the letter of the law. For example, stop and ID laws. Clearly unconstitutional ImHO. Walking down the sidewalk, I do have a reasonable expectation of privacy. I was stopped b/c the guy i was with fit the descripion of some burglar; not committed that night or anything, excluding therefor exigent circumstance claims. Giving my name I don't think is unreasonable, but once I was required to scan my thumb into a biometric device-- even after I'd presented ID; pretty clear violation of the Fourth Amendment. Of course, if I consent then no; but I told him no and was then ordered to. Of course, I've no warrants and had committed no crime, so "nothin to hide" applies-- but it was a violation nonetheless. What's my recourse though; if I were arrested, then I could claim false arrest; but I'm quite sure had stood my ground I'd have been detained until they could 'verify my identity' or some such-- which could be days realistically. I understand LEO have a job to do, and I don't want to impede their duties--i do benefit from their service--but if walking home from a buddy's house after drinking is reasonably suspicious, and waiving my right to privacy is deemed prudent to assuage their suspicion, there's clearly an issue with their investigation methods.
    He who learns must suffer. And even in our sleep pain that cannot forget falls drop by drop upon the heart, and in our own despair, against our will, comes wisdom to us by the awful grace of God.AeschylusRead more at http://www.brainyquote.com/quotes/qu...zeMUwcpY1Io.99

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by avatar4321 View Post

But we already had searches before 9/11. It wasn't caused by a lack of security in the airport, it was caused by the removal of federal marshals from the planes, making them an undefended location. One man with a gun would have ended the threat of terrorists with tiny little knives. But, hey why stop at correcting the breach, when we can radically shift airport security and violate random people?

Let's also bear in mind that the searches we're talking about are specifically at random, and essentially strip searches (You know, like we do to prisoners?), not because they match a description, were acting suspicious or anything else, but because they're, say, the 23rd person in line. That is not reasonable, and certainly not to the level of the naked body scanners that went into use. It's also patently useless for its proposed purpose, since it only detracts from more directed methods of security.
    "Government screws up everything. If government says black, you can bet it's white. If government says sit still for your safety, you'd better run for your life!"
    --Wayne Allyn Root
    www.rootforamerica.com
    www.FairTax.org

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by DragonStryk72 View Post
    But we already had searches before 9/11. It wasn't caused by a lack of security in the airport, it was caused by the removal of federal marshals from the planes, making them an undefended location. One man with a gun would have ended the threat of terrorists with tiny little knives. But, hey why stop at correcting the breach, when we can radically shift airport security and violate random people?

Let's also bear in mind that the searches we're talking about are specifically at random, and essentially strip searches (You know, like we do to prisoners?), not because they match a description, were acting suspicious or anything else, but because they're, say, the 23rd person in line. That is not reasonable, and certainly not to the level of the naked body scanners that went into use. It's also patently useless for its proposed purpose, since it only detracts from more directed methods of security.
    You are wrong on so many levels here, but one I would like to address is THIS.

I'm sure the TSA would LOVE to use the time honored tactic of profiling criminals, but nope little libbies won't let that happen, and so the searches have to be random instead.

PS - A person can entirely avoid the "strip searches" by walking through the damn x ray machine.