Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    181 Post(s)

Default Now I know for sure the word is meaningless

I have thought for awhile that the word "hero" was diluted to the point of not meaning much anymore. Athletes are heroes, etc. But i recently heard a really smarmy ad for a product called "Hero tabs". Hero tabs purport to make men more virile. I think the word used most often in the ad was "hard".

Uggh.

Uggh again.

Here's a group that knows what a real hero is. What's your definition?

After the game, the king and the pawn go into the same box - Author unknown

“Unfortunately, the truth is now whatever the media say it is”
    -Abbey

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    204 Post(s)

I actually had given a creative writing assignment a few years back to 7th graders. "How would you define, 'hero', give an example of one."

After writing the definition I don't think any of them chose a band member, a movie star, or an athlete. Over and over again it was military members or a father, mother, grandfather. Not one grandmother, hrumph!

"The government is a child that has found their parents credit card, and spends knowing that they never have to reconcile the bill with their own money"-Shannon Churchill

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Abbey View Post
    I have thought for awhile that the word "hero" was diluted to the point of not meaning much anymore. Athletes are heroes, etc. But i recently heard a really smarmy ad for a product called "Hero tabs". Hero tabs purport to make men more virile. I think the word used most often in the ad was "hard".

Uggh.

Uggh again.

I agree...In addition I include the students I teach here that have been over there and those who may go there (wherever that may be) in the future.
    UNITED STATES ARMY AVIATION

Above the Best

Why the Hell should I have to press “1” for ENGLISH?

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    54 Post(s)

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    514 Post(s)

Short and sweet - a hero is someone who, without regard for his/her own life, puts out for the needs of another. Risking everything one has for the greater good or for another human being.
    “You know the world is going crazy when the best rapper is a white guy, the best golfer is a black guy, the tallest guy in the NBA is Chinese, the Swiss hold the America's Cup, France is accusing the U.S. of arrogance, Germany doesn't want to go to war, and the three most powerful men in America are named "Bush", "Dick", and "Colin." Need I say more?” - Chris Rock

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    204 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jimnyc View Post
    Short and sweet - a hero is someone who, without regard for his/her own life, puts out for the needs of another. Risking everything one has for the greater good or for another human being.
    Indeed. There are some that seem predisposed towards this type of behaviors, Sassy referred to them as 'sheep dogs', they keep the 'wolves' at bay from the 'sheep.' These are the successful members of military, police, and fire departments. Then there are those that through circumstances, find they have an 'inner sheep dog.' They will run into a building to save someone in a fire, grab a purse snatcher or someone threatening others. They didn't know they were made like that, but it's found out.

"The government is a child that has found their parents credit card, and spends knowing that they never have to reconcile the bill with their own money"-Shannon Churchill

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

I think the standard for being a decent human has degraded to such a level that a hero has become someone who exceeds the incredibly low expectations society has for one another. Got rich by working hard instead of robbing and stealing-- you're a hero.
    He who learns must suffer. And even in our sleep pain that cannot forget falls drop by drop upon the heart, and in our own despair, against our will, comes wisdom to us by the awful grace of God.AeschylusRead more at http://www.brainyquote.com/quotes/qu...zeMUwcpY1Io.99

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    514 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Kathianne View Post
    Indeed. There are some that seem predisposed towards this type of behaviors, Sassy referred to them as 'sheep dogs', they keep the 'wolves' at bay from the 'sheep.' These are the successful members of military, police, and fire departments. Then there are those that through circumstances, find they have an 'inner sheep dog.' They will run into a building to save someone in a fire, grab a purse snatcher or someone threatening others. They didn't know they were made like that, but it's found out.
    But still far too many people today get labeled heroes when they really didn't do anything heroic, and certainly didn't place their lives below that of another. It's demeaning to real heroes, IMO. But I guess everyone has their own little definition, however distorted they may be at times.
    “You know the world is going crazy when the best rapper is a white guy, the best golfer is a black guy, the tallest guy in the NBA is Chinese, the Swiss hold the America's Cup, France is accusing the U.S. of arrogance, Germany doesn't want to go to war, and the three most powerful men in America are named "Bush", "Dick", and "Colin." Need I say more?” - Chris Rock

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    514 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by logroller View Post
    I think the standard for being a decent human has degraded to such a level that a hero has become someone who exceeds the incredibly low expectations society has for one another. Got rich by working hard instead of robbing and stealing-- you're a hero.
    Sadly true.

(although, when my wife calls me for dinner, and I find pizza, chinese or other ordered food on the table, she is temporarily my hero)

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    204 Post(s)

But still far too many people today get labeled heroes when they really didn't do anything heroic, and certainly didn't place their lives below that of another. It's demeaning to real heroes, IMO. But I guess everyone has their own little definition, however distorted they may be at times.
    Real heroes, even in the services, don't find if they are 'heroes' until there is the test. There's this of course:

http://www.koat.com/news/new-mexico/...#ixzz1wvGJrAF6

There are so many heroes to be found here:

http://www.blackfive.net/main/someone_you_should_know/

Then there are these, certifiable heroes:

http://www.cmohs.org/

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Sadly true.

(although, when my wife calls me for dinner, and I find pizza, chinese or other ordered food on the table, she is temporarily my hero)
    My wife not poisoning my food makes her a hero...or perhaps a coward; depends on the perspective I guess.
    He who learns must suffer. And even in our sleep pain that cannot forget falls drop by drop upon the heart, and in our own despair, against our will, comes wisdom to us by the awful grace of God.AeschylusRead more at http://www.brainyquote.com/quotes/qu...zeMUwcpY1Io.99

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

If I know one thing about a heroes, it's they don't consider themselves to be one.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Abbey View Post

Uggh.

Uggh again.

My definition of a hero..
    Here goes.
    If I can be loved and called such by my kids its more than enough for me! I do not expect false praise from them but love and respect for that's what I've given them. I am 58 years old with a five year old son , Justin. He was born at 27 weeks , one pound and a half exactly 24 ounces, two surgeries and 5 years of serious medical issues and he is doing well now. My daughter is 23 years old , just started her career as a dental hygeniest this year. I've been blessed to know that she already thinks me a hero and my wish is that my son when older and wiser will as well. Thats enough for me. That is a different kind of hero . The hero we so often think of is the kind that selflessly gives of himself to a greater gooooooooood and a greater purpose. This is most often seen in the heroic actions of our military. I have favorites in sports, acting , writing, shooting , chess playing,car racing , poker playing etc. but Hero I reserve for the kind of sacrifice SO OFTEN seen in war.. For it reveals so much more in my eyes. Yet being a hero (small h) to my kids rates higher with me because I love 'em so and want to be a source of pride in their lives ..
    Selfish , maybe but indeed selfless in the desired results for my kids. -Tyr
    18 U.S. Code § 2381-Treason Whoever, owing allegiance to the United States, levies war against them or adheres to their enemies, giving them aid and comfort within the United States or elsewhere, is guilty of treason and shall suffer death, or shall be imprisoned not less than five years and fined under this title but not less than $10,000; and shall be incapable of holding any office under the United States.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    204 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Tyr-Ziu Saxnot View Post
    My definition of a hero..
    Here goes.
    If I can be loved and called such by my kids its more than enough for me! I do not expect false praise from them but love and respect for that's what I've given them. I am 58 years old with a five year old son , Justin. He was born at 27 weeks , one pound and a half exactly 24 ounces, two surgeries and 5 years of serious medical issues and he is doing well now. My daughter is 23 years old , just started her career as a dental hygeniest this year. I've been blessed to know that she already thinks me a hero and my wish is that my son when older and wiser will as well. Thats enough for me. That is a different kind of hero . The hero we so often think of is the kind that selflessly gives of himself to a greater gooooooooood and a greater purpose. This is most often seen in the heroic actions of our military. I have favorites in sports, acting , writing, shooting , chess playing,car racing , poker playing etc. but Hero I reserve for the kind of sacrifice SO OFTEN seen in war.. For it reveals so much more in my eyes. Yet being a hero (small h) to my kids rates higher with me because I love 'em so and want to be a source of pride in their lives ..
    Selfish , maybe but indeed selfless in the desired results for my kids. -Tyr
    I think you are stating what my 7th graders often were. Their parents were heroes, because their parents had really tough times, but persevered and made it easy for them, their kids. Many, mostly boys, saw their grandfathers as heroes, because they'd been in Vietnam, Korea, or WWII.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Someone who puts themselves to the hazard for their beliefs, or in the protection of life/liberty other than their own. Military members who go above and beyond are an easy example, but folks like Martin Luther King Jr., Ghandi, Mother Theresa, Susan B. Anthony, and Muhammed Ali. Ali is sort of interesting on the list in that he was willing to go to prison rather than either serve in Vietnam, or do what so many did and flee to Canada or Europe. This wasn't without serious sacrifice for him, with a belt he had to give up, loss of the prizes from his fighting, and literally being locked away for several years.

Susan as well is of interest in that her belief in equality led her to demand jail time for her crimes just as any man would serve had they committed the same crimes. Prisons were not nearly the caliber we have today, with regular medical care and guaranteed three square meals. You could easily die in prison even on a short stint, so it says alot about her character that she was willing to face this.

It is NOT:
    The teacher who just phones it in because they have tenure and can't really be fired as long as they do at least the bare minimum.
    The EMT who uses his position to feel morally superior to other people.
    The soldier who lies about his service so people will look up to him more.
    "Government screws up everything. If government says black, you can bet it's white. If government says sit still for your safety, you'd better run for your life!"
    --Wayne Allyn Root
    www.rootforamerica.com
    www.FairTax.org