Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    126 Post(s)

Default New York to ban smoking in Central Park

Crazy... mommy state

its a done deal.

New York BANS smoking in Central Park, Times Square

Smokers in New York have fewer places to puff when Mayor Michael Bloomberg signs a new law banning smoking in the city's parks and on its beaches.

New York

The air in Central Park, the green refuge at the heart of Manhattan, is going to be even fresher under a new city law that will make it harder for the city’s smokers to find a place to puff away.
    Related stories

The new law, which bans smoking at city parks and beaches and was passed by the City Council on Wednesday, will make New York one of the best places in the world for nonsmokers or one of the toughest on smokers, depending on your point of view.
    Ninety days after Mayor Michael Bloomberg signs the bill into law, smoking will also be illegal in such places as the pedestrian mall in Times Square and on the boardwalk and beach at Coney Island. Violators could be punished with $50 fines.
    Five US cities that ban smoking in public parks

The city already bans smoking in bars and restaurants, a move that was followed by scores of other cities. And, smokers in the city pay the highest taxes in the nation – $5.85 a pack.
    New York City has been a leader on smoke-free issues and a lot of other cities will follow,” says Bronson Frick, associate director of Americans for Nonsmokers’ Rights in Berkeley, Calif. “What happens in New York tends to spread around the world.”
    The California Legislature passed a bill early in 2010 banning smoking at state parks and beaches, but it was vetoed last May by Gov. Arnold Schwarzenegger.
    According to Mr. Frick’s organization, a national advocacy group, there are already 478 towns and cities, plus the entire Commonwealth of Puerto Rico, that ban smoking in their parks. Smoking on beaches is also banned in Puerto Rico, Maine’s state parks, and in 102 municipalities, though many are small towns. New York will be the largest city to ban both.
    “It is in line with making more livable communities and helping insure that these green spaces dedicated to active living be smoke free,” says Frick. The rationale for making the beaches smoke-free, he says, is to prevent pollution.
    “There is a lot of research that the cigarette butts are highly toxic to aquatic creatures,” he says. “It is not just all about second-hand smoke.”

http://www.csmonitor.com/USA/Society...k-Times-Square

Outdoor smoking ban comes into effect in New York but smokers remain defiant

By Paul Bentley
    UPDATED: 03:33 EST, 27 May 2011

Tourists in New York might find that the air is that little bit fresher on their next visit to Central Park after a ban on outdoor smoking came into effect on Monday.
    Smokers can no longer legally light up in the city's public parks, beaches and promenades. Pedestrian plazas are also no smoking zones, including the ones in Times Square and Herald Square.
    But many smokers said they would flout the ban, despite the threat of a $50 fine.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/travel/ar...#ixzz1x2VTEdqj
    Last edited by revelarts; 06-06-2012 at 01:38 PM.
    It is proper to take alarm at the first experiment on our liberties. The freeman of America did not wait till usurped power had strengthened itself by exercise, and entangled the question in precedents. James Madison
    Live as free people, yet without employing your freedom as a pretext for wickedness; but live at all times as servants of God.
    1 Peter 2:16

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

It's not enough that NY taxes are driving out thousands...now you can't even lead your life as you choose. It's the West coast of the East. Bankruptcy is in their future. IMO
    UNITED STATES ARMY AVIATION

Above the Best

Why the Hell should I have to press “1” for ENGLISH?

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

I'm sorry but I don't have a prob with this. Since I hit the gym about two years ago and quit smokin' cigarette smoke and smokers in general disgust me. Guess its just that my eyes are open to what a filthy freaking habit it is. Not to mention cigarette butts everywhere.

With that said give em a smoking area like back in school and be done with it.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    514 Post(s)

Can someone please kill me? I feel like I've been dropped into this shithole with no way of escape. Actually, the majority of this shit is in NYC and not applicable to me where I live, but it sickens me nonetheless. You can be a 90% naked homosexual prancing down 5th Avenue while kissing your partner in broad daylight - but you can't have a cigarette.
    “You know the world is going crazy when the best rapper is a white guy, the best golfer is a black guy, the tallest guy in the NBA is Chinese, the Swiss hold the America's Cup, France is accusing the U.S. of arrogance, Germany doesn't want to go to war, and the three most powerful men in America are named "Bush", "Dick", and "Colin." Need I say more?” - Chris Rock

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    514 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by OCA View Post
    I'm sorry but I don't have a prob with this. Since I hit the gym about two years ago and quit smokin' cigarette smoke and smokers in general disgust me. Guess its just that my eyes are open to what a filthy freaking habit it is. Not to mention cigarette butts everywhere.

With that said give em a smoking area like back in school and be done with it.
    I hate them now too, and the smell, and the sight, and seeing the cost, and the health issues... But I don't think it's something that needs to be outlawed.
    “You know the world is going crazy when the best rapper is a white guy, the best golfer is a black guy, the tallest guy in the NBA is Chinese, the Swiss hold the America's Cup, France is accusing the U.S. of arrogance, Germany doesn't want to go to war, and the three most powerful men in America are named "Bush", "Dick", and "Colin." Need I say more?” - Chris Rock

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jimnyc View Post
    Can someone please kill me? .
    No; and you can't kill yourself either....at least not at the park, beach, restaurant or work...
    He who learns must suffer. And even in our sleep pain that cannot forget falls drop by drop upon the heart, and in our own despair, against our will, comes wisdom to us by the awful grace of God.AeschylusRead more at http://www.brainyquote.com/quotes/qu...zeMUwcpY1Io.99

Mentioned
    79 Post(s)

They should just cut to the chase and criminalise smoking.
    If you also agree that an animals suffering should be avoided rather than encouraged, consider what steps you can take.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Can someone please kill me? I feel like I've been dropped into this shithole with no way of escape. Actually, the majority of this shit is in NYC and not applicable to me where I live, but it sickens me nonetheless. You can be a 90% naked homosexual prancing down 5th Avenue while kissing your partner in broad daylight - but you can't have a cigarette.
    When you put it in that light maybe I am wrong

I'm not for no smoking just would like them to be a hair considerate and just find a nice quiet corner to burn one.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

I hate them now too, and the smell, and the sight, and seeing the cost, and the health issues... But I don't think it's something that needs to be outlawed.
    If they start handing out fines then i'm against it too.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    514 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Noir View Post
    They should just cut to the chase and criminalise smoking.
    Agreed. And not that this would be "right", but rather that I think that it will be the ultimate goal and what will in fact likely happen.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    126 Post(s)

Agreed. And not that this would be "right", but rather that I think that it will be the ultimate goal and what will in fact likely happen.
    great another illegal drug, tobacco.
    It is proper to take alarm at the first experiment on our liberties. The freeman of America did not wait till usurped power had strengthened itself by exercise, and entangled the question in precedents. James Madison
    Live as free people, yet without employing your freedom as a pretext for wickedness; but live at all times as servants of God.
    1 Peter 2:16

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    514 Post(s)

When you put it in that light maybe I am wrong

I'm not for no smoking just would like them to be a hair considerate and just find a nice quiet corner to burn one.
    I don't disagree there. Another funny thing, go downtown to the lower east side, where you can more or less carry marijuana with you and smoke in public, just don't have more than like a joint on you, and at the very, very most they will ticket you. But it's everywhere down there and normal as can be. So go and have fun, just leave the cigarettes at home!

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    514 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by revelarts View Post
    great another illegal drug, tobacco.
    I don't agree with it, not in the slightest, I'm just afraid that with the nonstop bans being placed that they will eventually just ban it altogether.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Kind of off the subject but not too long ago I figured out how much money I saved by quitting.........can't remember the exact figures but it was freaking crazy! And I was only like two packs a WEEK!

I don't know about NY but here its 7 and change for a pack of Marlboros.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    514 Post(s)

Kind of off the subject but not too long ago I figured out how much money I saved by quitting.........can't remember the exact figures but it was freaking crazy! And I was only like two packs a WEEK!

I don't know about NY but here its 7 and change for a pack of Marlboros.
    I still run a program tracking daily since I quit:

Free and Healing for One Year, Eight Months, Nineteen Days, 6 Hours and 12 Minutes, while extending my life expectancy 109 Days and 1 Hour, by avoiding the use of 31413 nicotine delivery devices that would have cost me $16,119.06.